Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2788 2789 [2790] 2791 2792 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6119417 times)

Inevitability

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #41835 on: June 12, 2015, 01:53:32 pm »

no captain of the guard since its not required.
Well, he is required for a working prison.

Ljas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41836 on: June 12, 2015, 02:23:32 pm »

So turns out combat reports and announcements are stored in the same memory, and apparently there's a limit to how much it can store. I have a fort of 120 or so dwarves and the announcements screen is still usually showing only "No recent announcements". Why? There's a group of amphibian men spending their days and nights trying to bash a giant cave crocodile's head in with blowguns. Everything else gets drowned out almost instantly.

They need to die.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41837 on: June 12, 2015, 03:00:41 pm »

started a project to move all my dorfs into  grand bedrooms and giving them their own grand dining rooms aswell.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41838 on: June 12, 2015, 04:00:48 pm »

Felt inspired today and built a minecart magma lifter. Working unit is a minecart cyclotron w/ pressure plate opening a floodgate, that blocks the derail-exit. Two cyclotrons are enough for the whole 80-z-level-lift in more or less straight ramps. Need to work out the un/loading details and the use of the same track for minecart returns. Certainly easier less time-consuming to designate than the usual design.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 04:10:17 pm by taptap »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #41839 on: June 12, 2015, 04:15:09 pm »

I made a Necromancer training thing. The corpses didn't rise, so I demolished the fortification in its line of sight. They still won't rise.

It's within 16 tiles of the necromancer. There is a lowered bridge and a pit between it and them, but nothing else. Any suggestions on how to fix it?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41840 on: June 12, 2015, 04:16:07 pm »

I made a Necromancer training thing. The corpses didn't rise, so I demolished the fortification in its line of sight. They still won't rise.

It's within 16 tiles of the necromancer. There is a lowered bridge and a pit between it and them, but nothing else. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

The bodies might be too mangled to resurrect.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #41841 on: June 12, 2015, 04:23:48 pm »

Suppose it's possible. I did kill the damn elves with warhammers.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41842 on: June 12, 2015, 05:36:52 pm »

I had a breastplate, a pair of mail shirts, a helmet, a cloak, and a pair of mittens. I conscripted everyone into clothesmaking and armouring, and have yearly saving.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Ljas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41843 on: June 12, 2015, 05:37:39 pm »

"No recent announcements". Why? There's a group of amphibian men spending their days and nights trying to bash a giant cave crocodile's head in with blowguns. Everything else gets drowned out almost instantly.
Started a new fort, dug a hole to the caverns.

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41844 on: June 12, 2015, 08:01:23 pm »

Setting up my first surface to magma sea ore delivery system.  That part was easy - dumping ore down a vertical shaft all the way down on top of an ore stockpile.  I have the push minecart return spiral track built.  Tomorrow I see if I built it all correctly. 
Ancient Avatar

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41845 on: June 12, 2015, 08:07:59 pm »

Managed to get steel armor for all 50 dwarves using wood as a fuel source. Used up all the wood, and had to wait almost a season to get more trees to regrow. 

Now I have trouble with Kia people, though they do seem strangely fond of wooden corkscrews...as such, I have set a ring of cage traps around a corkscrew stockpile. It's working rather well.

Gave all the bones from slaughtered animals to the elves.  I really wish they still brought raw wood, they'd be much more useful if they did...
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41846 on: June 12, 2015, 09:16:17 pm »

Three blind cave ogres had caused a major, massive, unforgivable problem: they killed two of the friendly, and, rather large, antmen colony. These three were currently clambering around the patch of bloodthorns, with only bruises from the antmen. So, I did the only thing I could: send in my one soldier. He had a full set of iron armour, with an artifact steel scimitar. He was only proficient in sword and armour, and skilled in shield, novice in dodging. I sent along two dogs as well. It turns out, however the two dogs were unnecessary: the swordsman, with one strike each, decapitated all three ogres without receiving a single hit. I guess he had the same seething rage as I did to learn these ogres had hurt the antmen. I have three dogs chained nearby for the antmen's protection. They're within touching range of each other, a pair of females and a male, so they will breed and produce more meat shields/defenders for the precious antmen.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41847 on: June 12, 2015, 11:31:03 pm »

Three blind cave ogres had caused a major, massive, unforgivable problem: they killed two of the friendly, and, rather large, antmen colony. These three were currently clambering around the patch of bloodthorns, with only bruises from the antmen. So, I did the only thing I could: send in my one soldier. He had a full set of iron armour, with an artifact steel scimitar. He was only proficient in sword and armour, and skilled in shield, novice in dodging. I sent along two dogs as well. It turns out, however the two dogs were unnecessary: the swordsman, with one strike each, decapitated all three ogres without receiving a single hit. I guess he had the same seething rage as I did to learn these ogres had hurt the antmen. I have three dogs chained nearby for the antmen's protection. They're within touching range of each other, a pair of females and a male, so they will breed and produce more meat shields/defenders for the precious antmen.

Your swordsdwarf is either very lucky, or seriously hardcore.  Blind Cave Ogres are notorious for wrecking moderately-trained militaries of even half a dozen dwarves. 

In other news, my own magmacart impulse elevator is finally nearing completion, after two and a half long years with extremely limited metallurgy.  (Fortunately, an early extremely valuable planespacked purple amaranth beer roast let me buy a whole steel armory from the dwarven caravan.)
Spoiler: pic (click to show/hide)

In any event, it travels from Z1 to Z106.  It's an impulse elevator, as this has been ordeal enough.  Digging the impulse elevator section and setting up glass pumps and gabbro grates and bridges has been easy enough, but digging the cart return and the aqueduct to bring water down to the waterwheels has taken up a majority of my fortress's time.  This is largely thanks to the fact that just digging channels straight down doesn't really work anymore, and dwarves just decide they're thirsty, and climb back out of the hole they dug after only going down 2 z-levels, forcing me to notice no work is being done, and manually order digging back to the channeling site.  This has resulted in a lot of ugly diagonals from my corkscrew track to reach the channel. (Diagonal to prevent cart jumping.)

In the meantime, I have set up a giant tortoise taming center, which shall serve nicely as a training ground for my animal tamer, who is also a member of the Starting Seven.   Just above is a pinned giant toad who will serve as a live-fire target for my marksdwarves in the interim.  I was going to have some bred tortoises serve as target practice for my dwarves, as their thick shells require dozens of metal bolts to shatter, and should hopefully prove impervious to wood, but I accidentally tamed my target tortoise, (gaydar read as asexual,) and it will take a while to wait out the -taming-.  I am also using this as a test of Qrox's bolt splitter, which is a first attempt at using such a setup.  Hopefully, I can get it to split some steel, as I am on an iron-free map.  If not, there's always just buying more iron harps and melting them all.  I'm told copper bolts work just fine, anyway.  I know I've put down goblins with bone bolts alone, before. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41848 on: June 13, 2015, 01:04:11 am »

A lot of science was done on the topic of bolts back in 34.xx. The conclusion was that bolt material hardly mattered in terms of lethality and armor penetration unless you were talking about steel or adamantine armor, and even those were vulnerable to nearly any material.

So far as I know, bolt material requirements have changed somewhat, but (so long as Toady made bolts more realistic instead of just 'less powerful') copper should still be plenty good enough to punch through 100% of the garbage goblins wear.

Picksling has its first epic artifact: a golden warhammer! (And a legendary weaponsmith who shall receive a personal tomb for his efforts.) We have also been elevated to a barony, and thankfully one of my starting seven was wise enough to prefer exactly zero craftable objects, so he got the role and is now sitting comfortably with substantially better accommodations than any of his compatriots. Twenty appears to be the minimum amount of dwarves necessary for a barony.

The fort's only child, little Asen Thunderedportal, came along as a result of judicious population cap manipulation. A full set of steel gear awaits her adulthood, and she will specialize as a strand extractor with enough weaponsmith training to create an artifact blowgun (according to her preferences). She has enabled moods and a barony, so that's good enough for me. I hope she doesn't mood until she's old enough to make a few steel corkscrews and get Novice.

No more forgotten beasts have arrived in the third cavern layer, which is a good thing, because I'm still in the process of setting up the six newest cells. One beast did arrive in the second cavern layer and has proceeded to massacre hundreds of crundles. I will need to clean my dead list soon to prevent glitches.

Work has yet to begin on the pump stack that will bring magma to the fort level for forging purposes. The battery for it is in place and functioning as it should, but since each pump will need individual construction to keep the right order, I've been unwilling to get started on it. Besides, masterwork steel corkscrews sell for over 20,000 Urists. The merchants go crazy over them.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #41849 on: June 13, 2015, 02:09:42 am »

If your necromancer is having difficulty rising, there are pills for that. :P

I think there was a thread on this recently, but I can't find it. You might have better luck.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 2788 2789 [2790] 2791 2792 ... 3842