Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2786 2787 [2788] 2789 2790 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6119096 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #41805 on: June 10, 2015, 09:24:31 pm »

As to preventing water-based idiocy with pumps, just slap a grate over the hole. That's what I do to keep the operator from falling in like an idiot if there's any overflow.

Good plan. I'll dig out the space above the wheels to draw power. I was about to tell you why drawing it from over the pump hole was best, but I realized I can just hollow out a space above and do it there. Much more efficient, actually.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41806 on: June 10, 2015, 11:17:55 pm »

What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41807 on: June 10, 2015, 11:37:28 pm »

Just a quick poll, am I the only guy who feels compelled to buy, if I can, all the food, booze and animals from the caravan? In case something happens?

Just wondering.
Drinks yes.

Food no. You can run a fort on half-rations of plump helmets until the next caravan arrives if something goes wrong in your food production. But running a fort without booze for even a week is a) stupid, and b) just so undwarfy.

I'll generally buy all the animals, on the theory that the Elves will hear I'm buying all the animals and send more interesting ones with their caravan, and frequently buy barrels. I always seem to run out so I like extras. I'll also frequently buy lots of metal armor, and shields of any kind; because generally I don't run my forts long enough to have 200 full suits of masterwork steel plate and eventually somebody will use that Bronze cap.

My trade goods are usually stone crafts, because I have a legendary stonecrafter already and stone, so why wouldn't I just keep him busy?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41808 on: June 10, 2015, 11:49:59 pm »

Nine batmen versus one Blind Cave Ogre. Batmen: 1. Cave Ogre:0.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41809 on: June 11, 2015, 11:59:39 am »

So there were two alligators. I got animals like that earlier and I'm starting to wonder how sure I am that I did not embark in an untamed wilds biome.

Anyway, as they sloooooooooooowly getting closer to the fort enterance I decided it might have been better if I ordered everyone inside and closed the gate. Little did I know that the booze production was halted AGAIN over a single plump helmet being hauled, cancelling the brew drink job, and the job cancellation swiftly hiding itself between a bunch of other red messages, making it hard to easily oversee which one is important if you're not expecting any important ones.

Five minutes later, the fort starts to get thirsty. I made another 3x3 farm plot with plump helmets all year because this was like the tenth time it happened, because that one mushroom was being carried by Urist McHaulomania. Another five minutes later, the thirst issue was still not resolved, and I was considering executing the next hauler that pulled off some shit that caused the booze production to halt. There were only 7 dwarves not thirsty, and one of them was outside. He didn't get mauled by the alligators, although he was dangerously close to them one time (20 tiles away). One dwarf actually started to get dehydrated and I decided to open the gate up again, let everyone drink from the river with the fledgling militia of 6 (soon to become an unstoppable amry of 50) stand guard at the drinking area. After everyone had their share of the water, and the soldiers were going back to training, one of the axedwarves charged at one of the alligators which was seperated from the other one. I immediately ordered the rest of the squad to help her, but that proved unnessecary as he chopped 3 limbs off before finally severing the head, winning with only a scratch on her leg. But then...

(you know now that she is about to get killed by the second one)

She decided to do the same thing with the other alligator, which owned her, and the rest of the squad decided to first go to the location where I initially ordered them to move to (where she was fighting the first alligator), and then, when it was already too late, stroll along to the place where they were supposed to be.

Well, at least the alligators were gone. But then... black fucking mamba -.-
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #41810 on: June 11, 2015, 12:13:03 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
While building the Panopticon, two of my Guards were successfully attacked by a weremole before it skittered off. They were quarantined at the base of the guard tower. One killed the other for some reason.
Having a weremole under my thumb, I decided to do the obvious and create a squad of weremoles.
It's going swell. The weremole is holding onto his shield, and using it as a weapon. The result is he's finding it very hard to deliver the coup de grace with a shield, so I should have more weremoles. Already two are confirmed as infected.

*EDIT
Ahh... The guard killed all the prisoners, including the infected ones. He must be a part of some loyalty cascade.

He's just standing there in a pool of limbs, blood and vomit...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:26:20 pm by Loud Whispers »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41811 on: June 11, 2015, 12:44:58 pm »

Deep in my mines, I saw a child grow to adulthood and leap from its mothers arms to get clothing as she struggled with a now lighter burden of stone, through tears of pleasure.

Anyway, back to my systematic genocide to bring down lag.
One wheel short of a wagon

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41812 on: June 11, 2015, 01:43:22 pm »

finally paved my whole fort living quarters and working space with stone and replaced all clay/sand walls with stone walls.

took me 10 years.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41813 on: June 11, 2015, 01:56:22 pm »

Personally, I trade the elves clothes from year 3 on, when my starting 7 start complaining about their x(giant toad socks)x. Using DFHack to confiscate the litter, I sell the elves my dirty laundry, and they tend to love it, the dirty perverts!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41814 on: June 11, 2015, 02:50:50 pm »

finally paved my whole fort living quarters and working space with stone and replaced all clay/sand walls with stone walls.

took me 10 years.
Try stone blocks instead of stones next time. Four times more of them and with much less weight.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41815 on: June 11, 2015, 03:14:02 pm »

Forgot to fix the region-loyal elves, so I got a caravan in summer of year one. Had to hastily jam some rockcrafting tools into my MC's hands so I could buy something, which considering our situation on food, was a requirement. Because the summer wave only had a whopping two dorfs, one of who doesn't know shit about shit when it comes to pulling fruit off trees so we can all go unkilled by starvation another season.

On the upside, kaolinite and magnetite. no fuelstones though, which means I'm gonna have to import tons of coal, what with my aversion to digging 50 zlevels down for magma because I'm too lazy to deal with that shit.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #41816 on: June 11, 2015, 03:58:40 pm »

The Commander of "The Lonely Rooms" got possessed and created the golden warhammer, "Bleedmourns." My entire Fort's military revolves around hammerdwarves. The Commander is himself, a hammerdwarf.

BUENO

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #41817 on: June 11, 2015, 04:13:48 pm »

My Chief (and only) Medical Dwarf, Ustuth "Doc Dour" Kobelonol, sprang into immediate action, and went on break just in time to avoid having to practice medicine in a timely manner while the nurse helpfully restrained the patient before he could assert how fine he actually was.

Sigged
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

IRON_GAUNTLET

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41818 on: June 11, 2015, 04:14:13 pm »

I guess that means it's hammer time!

bay12: the place where the simulated mass murder of children is acceptable and even encouraged, but a demographic survey is controversial.

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #41819 on: June 11, 2015, 04:24:09 pm »

I guess that means it's hammer time!

He also needs to train all dwarves to be good with shields so they cant touch this.
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."
Pages: 1 ... 2786 2787 [2788] 2789 2790 ... 3842