Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2785 2786 [2787] 2788 2789 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6119097 times)

Inevitability

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #41790 on: June 10, 2015, 01:30:10 pm »

Yes.
Heck, I'd even do it for just the *giant poisan-gas emitting cricket bone bolts*.
I mean, until we manage to make bolts out of magma, it's pretty much the dwarfiest crossbow ammunition we have.
Well, tied with elf bone bolts and mermaid bone bolts anyway.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41791 on: June 10, 2015, 02:28:30 pm »

I'm slaughtering all unnecessary males now, to reduce lag, after spending sprees. Interesting and domestic country-ish food sounding masterworks to come, after the disappointment over the rotten unbutcherable titan corpse.

Hey, would you really have wanted to eat giant poison-gas emitting cricket for the next two years straight, anyway?

im quite sure giant poison gas emitting rotten meat is a delicacy in ireland or some other anglo saxon country.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41792 on: June 10, 2015, 03:33:04 pm »

Rant about "Anglo-Saxons"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You US big blonde types probs have more Anglo Saxon than we do, many Englishmen are Norman-descended anyway, and these for complex ethnosocial reasons were possibly probably less likely to go to America than the anglo-saxons/Irish, maybe.

You said Anglo-Saxon, so I assume you're either 'Murican or a cheese-eating surrendur monkey anyway.[/spoiler]
One wheel short of a wagon

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41793 on: June 10, 2015, 03:40:11 pm »

You US big blonde types probs have more Anglo Saxon than we do, many Englishmen are Norman-descended anyway, and these for complex ethnosocial reasons were possibly probably less likely to go to America than the anglo-saxons/Irish, maybe.

You said Anglo-Saxon, so I assume you're either 'Murican or a cheese-eating surrendur monkey anyway.[/spoiler]

nnope.

i take it you are lower class brit then?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41794 on: June 10, 2015, 03:51:05 pm »

nnope.

a) Out of curiousity, why?
b) Nope. Middle.
c) It's been called "working" for ~100 years over here, I believe.

Nothing wrong with Anglo Saxons, I just believe that some Americans are a little light-hearted when it comes to mocking their cultural origins: not thinking that they are Europeans who have moved even further West.
One wheel short of a wagon

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41795 on: June 10, 2015, 04:00:07 pm »

nnope.

a) Out of curiousity, why?
b) Nope. Middle.
c) It's been called "working" for ~100 years over here, I believe.

Nothing wrong with Anglo Saxons, I just believe that some Americans are a little light-hearted when it comes to mocking their cultural origins: not thinking that they are Europeans who have moved even further West.

french hatred. and a touchy person.

and why what?

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41796 on: June 10, 2015, 05:18:04 pm »

Just a quick poll, am I the only guy who feels compelled to buy, if I can, all the food, booze and animals from the caravan? In case something happens?

Just wondering.
I don't...but I dofeel compelled to buy all the cheese, sugar, and flour. It makes for particularly valuable meals if I need to be exploity (which is almost always), without requiring the extensive infrastructure/prep time that normally goes into making those things. (an extensive herd of milkable animals...is nowhere near the top of my to-do list.)  I also buy all the animals for their fat, which is used to make soap. 

What I don't buy is bulk booze and relatively worthless foods.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41797 on: June 10, 2015, 05:41:26 pm »

Just a quick poll, am I the only guy who feels compelled to buy, if I can, all the food, booze and animals from the caravan? In case something happens?

Just wondering.
I don't...but I dofeel compelled to buy all the cheese, sugar, and flour.

What I don't buy is bulk booze and relatively worthless foods.

I tend to buy lots of the last two as well, though cheese seems to shoot up in price if you buy it all more than once or twice. I don't make use of it for the exploit-ness though. my food is my food, and they're only getting my prepared meals if they put it in the export papers. And sometimes not even then. As to worthless foods, i buy up meats, fish, and garden vegetables to pad local produce (which usually consists of local fruit orchards, sheep/goat products, and cave wheat flour and warven sugar.) Because plump helmets are for beginners and emergency rations.

Especially emergency rations. I should start making a habit of storing a large sum of the things in a shelter with a small farm and still for the luckiest shits to hide in during a major disaster...

As to booze, it's kind of a crapshoot. Merchants like to inflate thier price by bringing booze in overly decorated barrels. I once had a barrel of freaking dwarven wine that cost nearly 400 urists just because the barrel had some gems on it. In fact they do the same thing with flour, sugar, sand, and even seeds. I don't want fancy barrels and bags, I want the contents of it you thieving magpies.

A different question would be is there anyone who doesn't use prepared meals/battlefield junk to buy everything? Cause it seems like everyone and thier cat just uses prepared meals because they're stupidly valuable (and rendering your crafters vestigial to your workforce.)

Started a new fort with some additional hostile critters and adjustments to my modded elves. Shame, because the first sight was quite minerally wealthy.

Hopefully this time around the elf attacks will be more potent without them killing eachother on arrival...

Inevitability

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41798 on: June 10, 2015, 05:51:47 pm »

A different question would be is there anyone who doesn't use prepared meals/battlefield junk to buy everything? Cause it seems like everyone and thier cat just uses prepared meals because they're stupidly valuable (and rendering your crafters vestigial to your workforce.)
As a matter of fact, I do usually use stone crafts. For flavor, mostly, and to keep the dwarves occupied in the phases between larger projects without drafting everyone.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41799 on: June 10, 2015, 06:45:19 pm »

I tend to use stone crafts for the pointy-eared bastards elf merchants. I don't buy anything from them but exotic animals, anyway, so a couple dozen stone crafts are usually sufficient to purchase what I need.

For everything else, there's spiked wood balls.

Picksling's civilians are now clad in steel. All fifteen dwarves whose occupations don't require a uniform are wearing steel helms, breastplates, gauntlets, greaves, and high boots. Now I'll only have to make clothing for the remaining four miners/woodcutters. Should save on cloth and leather substantially.

I've been keeping the catsplosion in check, but one of my miners (who arrived with the first migrant wave) loves cats and has already accumulated six furry shadows. He's not disposable, being a Legendary+5 Miner and one of only two dwarves I have on hand to do major amounts of digging, but it is annoying to have to keep butchering large numbers of kittens that his pets crank out.

The giant tigers are breeding well and their cubs will make the family grow exponentially as soon as they're sexually mature. I'll have some currently unspecialized dwarf learn animal training by training them all for war. Once I have the magma pump stack finished, the forgotten beast trap completed with obsidianizing capabilities, the first and second cavern levels equipped with traps, and a set of magma forges fully active, I may finally raise the population cap. On the other hand, working with only 19 little bearded alcoholics makes me value each dwarf much more, and since none have yet died, I've grown rather fond of each of them. I'm not getting sieges, ambushes, or even megabeasts, so things are quite calm besides the Forgotten Beast attacks - that's the main issue.

It would be nice to be able to lower the population requirements for various invaders, but I think that's hard-coded.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Pearofclubs

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of -it-
    • View Profile
« Reply #41800 on: June 10, 2015, 07:17:04 pm »

I tend to use stone crafts for the pointy-eared bastards elf merchants. I don't buy anything from them but exotic animals, anyway, so a couple dozen stone crafts are usually sufficient to purchase what I need.

For everything else, there's spiked wood balls.

I also use this method. Do you prefer to use a dump zone off a ledge above your trade depot, or onto a retracting bridge above your trade depot? Either one works, but I prefer the notion of them setting up their crafts, hearing a distant sound of grinding gears, and then a shower of -cinnabar scepter-s and *galena crown*s falls from the now nonexistant ceiling and crushes them to death.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41801 on: June 10, 2015, 07:22:53 pm »

I once had a barrel of freaking dwarven wine that cost nearly 400 urists just because the barrel had some gems on it. In fact they do the same thing with flour, sugar, sand, and even seeds. I don't want fancy barrels and bags, I want the contents of it you thieving magpies.

I've not seen that, actually; they might bring a high-quality barrel, but if it contains stuff, it won't usually be decorated.

I am trying to switch over to steel battleaxes as a primary export, though, with prepared meals on hand in case the trader doesn't like my offers.

On another note: artifact native-gold hatch!  Hello instant royal bedrooms! Plus I'm finally getting my dwarves to eat at the legendary dining hall I've set up (for some reason they've been refusing to eat at my dining hall this fort.  maybe it was the temporary bedroom? *shrugs*)
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41802 on: June 10, 2015, 07:41:37 pm »

I also use this method. Do you prefer to use a dump zone off a ledge above your trade depot, or onto a retracting bridge above your trade depot? Either one works, but I prefer the notion of them setting up their crafts, hearing a distant sound of grinding gears, and then a shower of -cinnabar scepter-s and *galena crown*s falls from the now nonexistant ceiling and crushes them to death.

Given my religious avoidance of the use of bags in my fort, and my small workforce (entirely unsuited to hauling all that elf trade shit to the atom smasher valuable wooden gear and bolts to the stockpiles), I have thus far not chosen to massacre the tree-humping, gay-snake-selling troglodytophiles offend our peaceful woodland neighbors.

A sixth forgotten beast has arrived in the third cavern layer (a fire-breathing bull). It will find itself trapped within a few months. I may need to expand my cage system even further, which will present a substantial challenge given the relative absence of viable digging space in the walls of the cavern. Constructing an entirely new system would be annoying, but extending the current one seems unfeasible.

In other news, the planned pump stack will be around 100-110 levels tall. A piston would make more sense for a simple one-shot magma influx for my forge level, especially since I found an ideal x/y coordinate section that is solid through all three cavern layers, but a pump stack is more easily reusable and I'm not fond of the process of digging out pistons.

I've been having problems with the operation of the wheel battery that will power the pump stack. Its total final capacity will be in the range of 7000 power, which is far more than enough, but the water keeps slowly evaporating out of it and the wiki article is incorrect about evaporation-immune systems, so far as I can tell. (I haven't done extensive testing because I despise pond zones with a burning hatred.)

A perpetual stream could be more easily achieved if I were willing to tap the aquifer and build a drain off the side of the map, but I've already constructed the entire battery and I don't want to deal with the aquifer more than I have to. As it stands, the hauling route to fill the ponds is far too long, but making a closer water source is more or less impossible unless I go to the trouble to dig out a large cistern and completely fill it. I should probably do that anyway.

Dwarves can't seem to resist walking into the tiles from which the screw pumps pull water, even though those tiles get submerged relatively quickly and are currently designated as 'restricted.' Ah well. Illogical little alcoholics...
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41803 on: June 10, 2015, 07:50:19 pm »

As a matter of fact, I do usually use stone crafts. For flavor, mostly, and to keep the dwarves occupied in the phases between larger projects without drafting everyone.
I favor metal and bone goods myself. Hell I found it profitable, if not as efficient training wise, to train weaponsmiths on silver and hock the results on caravans for a decent profit.
Dwarves can't seem to resist walking into the tiles from which the screw pumps pull water, even though those tiles get submerged relatively quickly and are currently designated as 'restricted.' Ah well. Illogical little alcoholics...

As to preventing water-based idiocy with pumps, just slap a grate over the hole. That's what I do to keep the operator from falling in like an idiot if there's any overflow.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41804 on: June 10, 2015, 08:10:05 pm »

Gem and leather wrapped burning steel dual wielding axe and hammer lord, go kill the- why are you wielding a copper hammer?... What do you mean it's more expensive than the burning steel one? That thing has a star sapph- OH MY GOD!!! Almost all the encrust and wrapping orders I gave have gone to this one copper hammer, it's worth more than some of my silver artifacts.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 2785 2786 [2787] 2788 2789 ... 3842