Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2784 2785 [2786] 2787 2788 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118886 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #41775 on: June 09, 2015, 08:50:31 pm »

In other news, my hospital is starting to get some real use.

After my two mine cart accident victims with near-amputations were sent packing with crutches and casts, we had a third victim of the year... Kosoth "Young Gun" Emathlikot was installing a new hive when tragedy struck.  A worker bee mistook the fledgling beekeeper for a threat, and stung.  (This is my first bee sting, actually... I never really bothered with bees before.)

After being stung, Kosoth heroically attempted finishing installing the hive, only to be dragged away by my crack battlefield medic team recovering the wounded, dragging the protesting dwarf to his medical care so that the doctor could assess the extent of the damage! 

My Chief (and only) Medical Dwarf, Ustuth "Doc Dour" Kobelonol, sprang into immediate action, and went on break just in time to avoid having to practice medicine in a timely manner while the nurse helpfully restrained the patient before he could assert how fine he actually was.  I presume he will be charged extra in his medical bills for the restraints.

Who says dwarven medicine needs work?  If we just get in rejection of patients for lack of insurance, we've got a perfect replication of the medical system.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Pearofclubs

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of -it-
    • View Profile
« Reply #41776 on: June 09, 2015, 09:12:44 pm »

In other news, my hospital is starting to get some real use.

After my two mine cart accident victims with near-amputations were sent packing with crutches and casts, we had a third victim of the year... Kosoth "Young Gun" Emathlikot was installing a new hive when tragedy struck.  A worker bee mistook the fledgling beekeeper for a threat, and stung.  (This is my first bee sting, actually... I never really bothered with bees before.)

After being stung, Kosoth heroically attempted finishing installing the hive, only to be dragged away by my crack battlefield medic team recovering the wounded, dragging the protesting dwarf to his medical care so that the doctor could assess the extent of the damage! 

My Chief (and only) Medical Dwarf, Ustuth "Doc Dour" Kobelonol, sprang into immediate action, and went on break just in time to avoid having to practice medicine in a timely manner while the nurse helpfully restrained the patient before he could assert how fine he actually was.  I presume he will be charged extra in his medical bills for the restraints.

Who says dwarven medicine needs work?  If we just get in rejection of patients for lack of insurance, we've got a perfect replication of the medical system.
"... was stung by a bee. Thank Armok the doctor got there in time."
"In time? You mean, to bandage it, maybe give him a bucket of water?"
"What? No. In time to see that hilarious thing Listot did with his shoe in the statue garden."
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:17:26 pm by Pearofclubs »

Klekavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41777 on: June 09, 2015, 09:39:36 pm »

A werebeast snuck right up on an elven caravan at my depot. A large ass twisted into humanoid form. By the time my military got there and put it down, it had dismembered and killed all but two of the tree-huggers. They laid unconscious and bleeding even as the message came that their caravan was leaving. I claimed all of their wares. They somehow clung to life long enough to transform, but my military was stationed nearby, ready to reunite them with the rest of their caravan.

Well, apparently I hadn't noticed that at some point while that first blighted ass-man was attacking the elves, one of my fisherdwarves got himself bit. Maybe he ran in with my military to haul away one of the elves' pack animals' carcasses. I don't know. But since I was watching the elves, I also didn't notice that he had become a half-ass. Which he did, of course, right in the middle of a party at a *gabbro table* in one of my dining halls.

So after that my fort had a wereass infection of indeterminate size. The next full moon, I saw my mayor, a new mother, immediately after turning tear her newborn to shreds. I saw another party get crashed. I saw my livestock really unprofessionally butchered. Casualties were mercifully low, though, because luckily one of my swordmasters was attending the party, my mayor's room is right by a barracks, and the animals kept the other one distracted.

Now, it just so happens that I had recently finished building a room filled with caged POWs before any of this happened, and hooked all the cages up to an external lever. Golden opportunity! I watched the hospital for wounded survivors and put them all on a squad. Another mother with a baby was among them. So was my legendary cook. Oh well. Into the room they all went, and walled in they all were. When the next full moon hit, I ordered the lever to be pulled.

Not all the dwarves turned. Evidently I had sent mother and child needlessly to their doom. The assless dwarves were dead before the cages even opened. Forty-two cages total, filled with naked goblins and trolls. The unarmed goblins stood no chance, I knew, but more than half of those prisoners were trolls. Roughly thirty trolls against four wereasses? I wasn't sure of the outcome. And if the fight lasted longer than a day, the trolls would kick those wereasses. It didn't, though. When the gore settled, three of the four wereasses were still standing.

And there they shall remain.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note the legendary cook. Also note that there are only two still alive. For some reason, when they transformed the following full moon, these two ganged up on the other one and killed him. As far as I know, that's not supposed to happen.

Oh, and I have a pit leading down there. It's nothing noteworthy, but...

I can't resist... Pic of my wereass-hole!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41778 on: June 09, 2015, 10:00:28 pm »

I was teaching a friend the law system, and he was getting his first punishment! The person was to be beaten by the hammerer... Just before that hammer hit him, the convicted revealed his true colours as a wereskink... I don't think I've ever seen such a perfect representation of Judge Judy in any game.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41779 on: June 09, 2015, 11:38:33 pm »

Picksling has run out of cells for beasts. After the first one, the three-eyed fire breathing crocodile, we got a gaunt skunk twisted into human form, a huge hairy scorpion, a gigantic feathered opossum, and (most recently) a great beakless nuthatch. All five of my initial five cells have been filled and I'm in the process of expanding the system to accommodate two more beasts, if and when they come. Meanwhile, one beast has appeared in the first cavern layer, which has no such system (although I began designations for one).

A few minor improvements to the system have been made since the first five cells were constructed. The controlled exit needs to be differently placed. The obsidianizing system is nowhere near complete, since planning stalled around the time I realized it would be really difficult to get enough water and lava in there without crossing the streams. Let's just say things got complicated.

A few caravans back, the Elves brought another giant tiger, and now my giant tiger population is slowly expanding, so that's good. It makes up for the gay snake they sold me back in 138. Today they brought no animals but a giant echidna and a wild boar - both totally useless. Perhaps the instances where I've sent them away emptyhanded because they brought no good animals have shrunk their inventories. Maybe I should throw a few trade goods at them for the sake of my animal populations - although I don't think I'll need giant king cobras if I have giant tigers.

Ah well. We'll see what the future brings.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41780 on: June 10, 2015, 02:55:09 am »

I'm building an actual fort.

Main entrance has an area planned to be a melee barracks. Then there's a floor above that which leads into the main fort and the Depot. Above that is the Archers; with Fortifications all around so not only can they shoot outside the fort; but into the courtyard if something slips past the barracks as well. Then there's a [Not quite complete] roof. The 2nd and 3rd floors are a lot smaller than the 1st; like a box. [But the entire of every floor has outside walls]

I've got a pretty sizable above-ground farm which grows watermelons and passion fruits. I also hit loads of Tetrahedrite early; as well as Platinum. Seeing as I should get a good amount of Silver from my deposits, I'm guessing I should arm my melee barracks with Silver Hammers. I've never really done metalworking before, my military is usually cage traps and bone bolts, since I have this awful habit of not finding weapons-grade metals.

Of course; the downside to hitting these two valuable ores is that migrants are coming too fast. I literally had a wave of 30; and that was only because I set a cap of 50 until I've finished building my actual fort. Hitting these metals is effectively making migrants come quicker than I can keep up.

I also plan to make a 3rd squad ready for breaching the caves.

Also for some reason all the migrant children and babies who come have Cave Adaptation. Even if they are less than 2. So they vomit everywhere as they enter my fort.

Also this time I'm in flat lands, in a forest. Every major race is listed as neighbours, but so far; a year and a half in; I've only seen the fellow Urists; and the Hippies [Who brought a pair of Cavy Boars who refuse to multiply; and a Lion. I hope they bring a Lioness next time]. No human caravans, and no Goblin guests.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41781 on: June 10, 2015, 03:14:07 am »

Just a quick poll, am I the only guy who feels compelled to buy, if I can, all the food, booze and animals from the caravan? In case something happens?

Just wondering.
One wheel short of a wagon

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41782 on: June 10, 2015, 03:24:07 am »

Usually i only buy food and drink from the caravans. sometimes animals, if they are useful.

Ljas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41783 on: June 10, 2015, 03:42:03 am »

Overseer cancels fortess: Mortally bored.

Nothing is going on in my fort. Two werewhatevers in four years, and nothing else. Not even a single forgotten beast. I'm rolling in lead and silver crafts with nobody to sell them to. Sure, it's mostly my fault for fixing ballistae on the trade depot and murdering the humans and elves, but the dwarven caravan just turned around at the front door and left. I've mostly been using the ballistae to fire at my own dwarves to skill up the medical personnel.

On the upside, I finally feel like I've learned to play the game. My military was functional (not that they had anything else to do than club down hungry heads in the caverns) and I was neck deep in supplies. Not even soap was running out. It was a good tutorial fortress, I guess. Time to breach the circus and find a more hostile place to set up in.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41784 on: June 10, 2015, 04:22:36 am »

Just a quick poll, am I the only guy who feels compelled to buy, if I can, all the food, booze and animals from the caravan? In case something happens?

You are. (Try deactivating the caravans. Gives so much peace.)

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41785 on: June 10, 2015, 04:41:43 am »

You are. (Try deactivating the caravans. Gives so much peace.)
I buy all thier food, drink, cloth, clothing, armor and weapons if I can.
I like the variety of food & drink the caravan offers, and I can never be bothered to setup a proper metalsmithing industry.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41786 on: June 10, 2015, 12:50:26 pm »

Quick fort update: First weaponsmith strange mood.  I forbade the other metals in time, so I got a Ilmokez, a steel short sword (encrusted with gneiss and milk opals).

Just wondering.

I have a map with no iron, so I buy anything iron at all that can be melted.  I also try to import rarer metals, like bismuth.  Besides that, my main imports are wood and the stones and gems that I need for mandates.

Food and booze I always have in larger quantities than I can ever consume, and I'm constantly trying to find alternative means of employing those dwarves.  I do tend to buy any animal I don't have breeding pairs for already, however.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41787 on: June 10, 2015, 01:08:28 pm »

I'm slaughtering all unnecessary males now, to reduce lag, after spending sprees. Interesting and domestic country-ish food sounding masterworks to come, after the disappointment over the rotten unbutcherable titan corpse.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41788 on: June 10, 2015, 01:12:54 pm »

I'm slaughtering all unnecessary males now, to reduce lag, after spending sprees. Interesting and domestic country-ish food sounding masterworks to come, after the disappointment over the rotten unbutcherable titan corpse.

Hey, would you really have wanted to eat giant poison-gas emitting cricket for the next two years straight, anyway?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41789 on: June 10, 2015, 01:14:37 pm »

Yes.