Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2780 2781 [2782] 2783 2784 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118734 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #41715 on: June 04, 2015, 06:12:43 pm »

My dwarves love recursion

That may just be the most dwarfy artifact ever. A menacing spike that includes recursive images of itself, a menacing spike. It menaces with spikes all the way down.
*rises to the challenge*
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hmmm, now that I look at it I wonder if it has enough spikes?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 06:31:52 pm by Max™ »

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41716 on: June 04, 2015, 06:56:23 pm »

That... doesn't seem possible, Max...

--

In other news, Picksling now has two resident forgotten beasts chilling in their holding cells while I decide what to do with them. I really ought to take some time to raise the population cap, but it's difficult to make a final decision to let go of my precious FPS.

The first cavern layer is of the truly cavernous variety, a full 30 z-levels from the lowest visible floor to the highest visible ceiling. The second layer is somewhat less spectacular and void of all plant life, and the third layer reminds me a little too much of the single cavern layer back at old Tombscoast, one of my most memorable forts (now lost to a reformat, unless... Yes! It survives on DFFD!).

This third layer is where both beasties have thus far arrived. The fourth cell has been fully wired to the lever control system; the fifth will happen as soon as I get around to it; and I am beginning to designate the diggings for a nearly-identical system on the first cavern layer, in case some uninvited guests appear there. The second will take substantially more time, as its diggable terrain is mostly unsuitable for this kind of work.

The first thirteen eggs laid by my giant king cobra female were sterile, but I've cleared the nest box and she's laid another twelve, so hopefully the lengths I had to go to in order to acquire the snakes will be worthwhile. (Bloody elves. Charging an arm and a leg for a bunch of snakes, and they won't even take my main export - spiked wooden balls... I'd like to tell them where they can stick those stone crafts they forced me to produce... Pointy-eared bastards haven't brought me a second giant tiger, either. This female is probably going to die of old age before she gets laid and gives me beautiful little tiger kittens.)
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41717 on: June 04, 2015, 07:15:03 pm »

Normally it isn't possible, though this thread did help me notice I was missing a flag in my script!

ThePeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41718 on: June 04, 2015, 09:30:11 pm »

So, after some very weird shit happening in adventure mode (long story short, my game glitched and was spawning cavern creatures on the surface levels) I've decided to start a new fortress, this time near some friendly humans to hopefully solve the problem of invisible Necromancer neighbors that my last fort had. It'll be interesting to see if that bug persists. Running into various cavern creatures on the surface was quite the interesting experience.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 12:10:41 am by ThePeanut »
ThePeanut likes Dwarf Fortress for its difficulty, Killer Instinct for its characters, Tolkien and H.P. Lovecraft for their works of fiction, Scimitars for their curved blades, and Dogs for their barks. He prefers to consume cheese whenever possible. If possible, he would spend the rest of his days not doing much of anything.
He dreams of mastering a skill.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41719 on: June 05, 2015, 01:08:56 am »

I have discovered the reason behind my total lack of a snakesplosion:

The elves sold me a gay snake.

Piece of shit tree-humping people-eating pointy-eared bastards...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 01:14:19 am by ImagoDeo »
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Tyyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41720 on: June 05, 2015, 09:25:39 am »

I'm starting to seriously consider turning my Baroness into a geonaut. She loves two things, gauntlets and large gems. The first is great, the second, not so much.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41721 on: June 05, 2015, 09:57:21 am »

I played with minecart logic again and finally managed to build a "toggle" memory cell _using only one switchable building_. There are two separate holding coils, and an on-off signal cycle switches a cart between coils. Since this requires two switch layouts that are stable while signal is "off" (and change when signal turns "on") and two that are stable while signal is "on" (and change when signal turns "off"), i had to use all four "faces" of the switching door. Thus, the design gets a bit crazy, but it works flawlessly.

While the signal is off and the door closed, the cart is in one of the 2x5 circuits, checking the door state at the end of the flat track, bent around at the closed door, over the pressure plate and through the impulse ramps. When the door opens, the cart blasts through the corner (since it's extremely fast), rushes through to the "path inverter" hook and returns over the flat track, going in the opposite direction now and therefore taking the longer circuit; until the door closes again, forcing the cart to take the corner and sending it into the _other_ holding coil.

This is a device which holds one of two possible information states and switches to the opposite state whenever a signal cycle is received. It could be used as basic component of a binary counter, but mainly demonstrates how different DF logic is from real-world electronics.

I do, I hope, understand what this minecart track does, but I can't fully follow your explanation. Doesn't the minecart track have four distinct circuits, through which the minecart switches in a fixed order whenever the door changes its state? Why is it "only" a binary memory cell to you? Is it, that you are always assuming full ON/OFF signals and only consider the two different situations when the door is closed? Can't you do plenty of different things with this track depending on the actual "wiring" (pressure plates and connections) you install?

To give a practical example: the cavern airlock operated by this track. You put one lever into the airlock that works the door, but have the two pressure plates in the minecart track wired with the two different doors of the airlock. Now each lever pull changed the situation - 1st door open / closed / 2nd door open / closed / ... - but you are leveraging more than two states here.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41722 on: June 05, 2015, 10:52:20 am »

This is a device which holds one of two possible information states and switches to the opposite state whenever a signal cycle is received. It could be used as basic component of a binary counter, but mainly demonstrates how different DF logic is from real-world electronics.

I do, I hope, understand what this minecart track does, but I can't fully follow your explanation. Doesn't the minecart track have four distinct circuits, through which the minecart switches in a fixed order whenever the door changes its state? Why is it "only" a binary memory cell to you? Is it, that you are always assuming full ON/OFF signals and only consider the two different situations when the door is closed?

Yes. I build a lot of stuff with pressure plates, looking for a state change in the governed circuit for every full on/off cycle the plate goes through (i find it hard to think differently around pressure plates). I thought of this thing much like a toggling light switch/button: push once - light goes on. Push again - light goes off. The switch will be released between/after pushes, but there are only two real activity events.

Interesting idea with the lever, though. And if you can come up with an idea to make use of all four stable cycles the cart can be in - why not?

ThePeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41723 on: June 05, 2015, 11:13:43 pm »

So, after several forts in several different worlds have descended into siege-less (barring undead, but those aren't fun in any sense of the word) monotony, I've decided to go back to 34.11 for now, atleast until I get my fill of slaughtering goblin and elvish hordes (not humans though, they're cool).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 11:22:08 pm by ThePeanut »
ThePeanut likes Dwarf Fortress for its difficulty, Killer Instinct for its characters, Tolkien and H.P. Lovecraft for their works of fiction, Scimitars for their curved blades, and Dogs for their barks. He prefers to consume cheese whenever possible. If possible, he would spend the rest of his days not doing much of anything.
He dreams of mastering a skill.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #41724 on: June 06, 2015, 11:56:40 am »

I noticed that some dwarfs were being horrified around the death site of Melburn, a child who went berserk and had to be killed by an axedwarf. I was sure I had cleaned up all of the remains, and I wondered if merely being near the death site of a loved one could horrify a dwarf.

Then I found one of her legs in a tree.

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41725 on: June 06, 2015, 12:21:58 pm »

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41726 on: June 06, 2015, 12:58:11 pm »

I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41727 on: June 06, 2015, 01:46:03 pm »

One wheel short of a wagon

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #41728 on: June 06, 2015, 01:54:42 pm »

Finally equipped my men.

With Bronze, but one step at a time.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Jigowah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41729 on: June 06, 2015, 06:24:39 pm »

Got a lucky embark that is just swimming in limonite and gold ore.  In just 2 years I have 1 million urists worth of created wealth and 2 fully armored squads in iron or better with reasonably high skills. 

A human caravan freaked out and dropped the whole load when they accidentally got a glimpse inside my corpse dump so that was profitable.

My beautiful new outdoor gold well with mist waterfall was instantly sullied when I realized it was on a dump tile, and the team decided to toss all the corpses into it for a season.  Then when the cave adapted dwarves started using the well, it turned into vomitorium.  I enjoy reading about how much the guys like it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 07:37:45 pm by Jigowah »
Pages: 1 ... 2780 2781 [2782] 2783 2784 ... 3842