Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2775 2776 [2777] 2778 2779 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118062 times)

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #41640 on: May 31, 2015, 11:36:03 am »

According to the engravings in my fort, one crundle killed an entire tribe of olm men on its own. This is both hilarious and terrifying.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41641 on: May 31, 2015, 01:22:36 pm »

According to the engravings in my fort, one crundle killed an entire tribe of olm men on its own. This is both hilarious and terrifying.

Now that is a tough lil' crundle.  Mercifully, cage traps will stop the little devils.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41642 on: May 31, 2015, 01:32:40 pm »

Now that is a tough lil' crundle.  Mercifully, cage traps will stop the little devils.

i had a group of 5 crundles kill a forgotten beast.

Whodunnit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41643 on: May 31, 2015, 02:34:20 pm »

Currently building what will be the ogre habitat. A male and female blind cave ogre stumbled into my cage traps a while ago and I've been at a loss as to what to do with them. So I'm sticking them in a big glass box (Clear glass fortifications with Clear glass windows on the outside) for my dorfs to gawk at (or run away from the sight of). Perhaps I'll throw some other amusing critters in there. Like elves...

Oh, but producing clear glass is slow... so slow.

Also, Hi! New to the forums, been playing DF since 40.19. So not very long. :D

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41644 on: May 31, 2015, 02:46:04 pm »

Currently building what will be the ogre habitat. A male and female blind cave ogre stumbled into my cage traps a while ago and I've been at a loss as to what to do with them. So I'm sticking them in a big glass box (Clear glass fortifications with Clear glass windows on the outside) for my dorfs to gawk at (or run away from the sight of). Perhaps I'll throw some other amusing critters in there. Like elves...

Oh, but producing clear glass is slow... so slow.

Also, Hi! New to the forums, been playing DF since 40.19. So not very long. :D

I see you've got blind cave ogres.  Not a bad catch.  Sure as heck beats troglodytes.

I am also with ya on the clear glass production being slow as heck.

Also, welcome to the forums!

As for the fort, the obsidian processor is nearing completion.  Got the magma from the magma sea ready for pumping, the water from the second cave layer ready, and four drawbridges that retract the deluge of water upon the magma for some great obsidian.  Not sure if my obsidian processor should have windows though...  A part of me wants to do it for the awesomeness of having dwarves see obsidianization firsthand, but on the other hand, I would need pearlash for clear glass viewing.  (I doubt anyone wants to see a cool process in green color.)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 02:48:32 pm by NESgamer190 »

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41645 on: May 31, 2015, 03:43:36 pm »

Anyone know how to effectively relieve long-term stress? Two of my four new-ish recruits are, for some reason, under an awful lot of stress as a result of being posted in the rain to guard a depot for a week or so. Can't imagine how that could mess them up so badly, but they're both flashing red.

Also, could this long-term stress eventually cause negative side-effects, or does it have to go all the way to heavy stress? DFHack hasn't been very helpful except in identifying the total stress levels among my dwarves.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41646 on: May 31, 2015, 04:28:55 pm »

The death chambers are almost complete. We have a Crundle Egg Farm as well as a Turkey Egg Farm. We've caught a couple of giant crocodiles; but they are both males, and both of them killed a dorf.

I kinda regret trying to make clothing from silk. I lost like; four dorfs to random cave creatures as they gathered webs. For now I've just sealed the cave up since my cages were filled.

We've also caught a few Blind Ogres and a Troll. Not quite sure how to safely deal with those chilling in my animal stockpile yet. Last time I tried to do something like that; I vividly remember !!FUN!! happening.

On the upside; the [crippled] crocodiles are at my fortress' main gate alongside my war dogs, and if they get past that, there is then a long corridor where a tame GCS is living behind a row of cage traps. And that's if I don't react in time and shut the front gate and open the back one which leads into the Old Fort and the Combat Chambers.

Still no military; but I've not actually had any skilled military dwarves migrate yet; nor have I found useful metals despite the site saying metals and flux both existed. That said; the site also said my only neighbours were goblins; but 2 and a half years in not a single goblin has been seen; despite the liason saying a fort fell to them. Only hazard so far has been two werebeasts. A human Weregecko and... an Ant Woman Werelizard.

But hey; no hippies!

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41647 on: May 31, 2015, 05:10:31 pm »

Update on the fort of Earthdwellings:

The dwarves came, but not yet ready for the baron yet...  Rats!

Also, the obsidian processor is fully functional!

Lastly, got an artifact steel axe from a strange mood.  Rather happy about that one to be honest.

a troglodyte

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41648 on: May 31, 2015, 05:15:54 pm »

Looks like the King has arrived at my fort... in the first winter? Unfortunately, he's over a century out of date and an undead, but I'm sure he'll make for a nice decoration.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41649 on: May 31, 2015, 05:23:32 pm »

Anyone know how to effectively relieve long-term stress? Two of my four new-ish recruits are, for some reason, under an awful lot of stress as a result of being posted in the rain to guard a depot for a week or so. Can't imagine how that could mess them up so badly, but they're both flashing red.

Also, could this long-term stress eventually cause negative side-effects, or does it have to go all the way to heavy stress? DFHack hasn't been very helpful except in identifying the total stress levels among my dwarves.

mist i heard. is pretty good way.

giving them animals/stones they like will also help.

i suppose a better equipped bedroom and meeting hall too...and try make a stone garden with lots of fancy platinium gold and silver statues...oughta atleast make them somewhat happy.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41650 on: May 31, 2015, 06:05:24 pm »

What should I do with over 3,000 gold bars?

Perhaps this could help me solve the previous problem.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41651 on: May 31, 2015, 06:18:26 pm »

What should I do with over 3,000 gold bars?

Perhaps this could help me solve the previous problem.
Pave over soil layers, build an above ground structure, turn them into over 1.5 million gold coins and dump them into magma while you laugh at the poor- all sorts of things.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41652 on: May 31, 2015, 06:25:34 pm »

Your Dwarves can, in theory, fully recover (eventually).  If weather is the only thing bringing them down, construct a small golden roof over their post, that will prevent bad thoughts from sun & weather.  As to the rest of your bars- road for the caravans & future nobility; pick some useless Dwarves to become Metalsmiths, craft & remelt the junk to train them up to Legendary; use gold blocks to create a statue or tile inlay of a gold bar.

Gojira1000

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands a glass bed? Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41653 on: May 31, 2015, 07:07:23 pm »

Earthscrape is too prosperous, too well-defended and seems to have killed off the local goblin and elf factions our Civ was at war with.

Maybe I should gen a new world with 400 years of history and some extra evil and additional megabeasts ... oh hai there, 15 necro towers. This should work out well.

Legends is full of interesting wtf-ness. One example being:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh, yeah, definitely settling down on this island.

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." - Oscar Wilde

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41654 on: May 31, 2015, 07:10:16 pm »

Just started a new fortress. I was going to wait for the next update, but I realized that it will probably take a while and decided to do something different with my fort, so I embarked in an area with an aquifer, hoping I could use my normal solution of finding a way around it but I can't find any way to do so. It looks like I might have to breach it. Any tips for a player inexperienced with aquifers and only okay with fluids in general?

Details that might be important:

1. I have 6 boulders of slate for use and a large amount of ores, though I'd prefer not to use them.

2. I've never made an artificial cave in, but am willing to do so.

3. The aquifer appears to have multiple levels and cover the entire map. I'm doing more poking around, but that's how it appears so far.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs
Pages: 1 ... 2775 2776 [2777] 2778 2779 ... 3842