Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2773 2774 [2775] 2776 2777 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6117822 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #41610 on: May 29, 2015, 01:26:30 pm »

Just had the worst artifact ever, made from 2 pieces of dacite. A braclet, studded with dacite, with an image of waves in dacite.

An otherworldly force came out of the dream-realm and possessed my dwarf in order to show... waves?

Oh, and it has a 3-part name, unlike any other artifact before it. Obviously.

Stranglepunched the Polished Universes. Hmm, eldritch Cthulhonic deity, you're going to have to be a bit more specific, and a bit more impressive, if you want to provoke a reaction.

Oh, and goblin siege. They killed a couple of animals, which was a tragedy, but all 29 died or were enslaved, so that's something we've got going for us.

Time for body-hauling. Tum-tee-tum.
One wheel short of a wagon

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41611 on: May 29, 2015, 05:49:53 pm »

Sorry fer double post, but just had a very dwarfy, if disppointing experience. After a siege, a fireball-spitting kangaroo with a shell shows I, a 3-word long named Titan, my first megabeast, and my militia takes it out, only 1 guy loses an arm, above the fort. Then, in the first cavern layer, a quadruped composed of flame comes. With maybe 1/6 of this on fire, my flamerate is at 3. This won't work, as I can only plan to turtle without setting fire to half my soldiers, and don't want to mess with DFhack to "vanish" huge sections of flame.

Unfortunatley, I didn't save after the Titan, so if I want my framerate at a workable levl anytime within the next year, I'm gonna have to savescum and lose the kill.    >:(:( :-[ :'( :'(

The beasts won't visit again, will they? Once I savesum?

Anyone else got this: a titan and an FB, or any 2 megabeasts coming within a minute of one another? It's not cos of a created wealth or pop thing, passed those last year-ish.

Shit. Goodbye titan kill.

EDIT: oh migod framerate soared to 16 thankyou armok, for your blessing!

And no, back to framrate of 2-3. Stuff this, it's 11:43, I'm savscumming. Screw you, RNG, stop setting fire to my stuff, and I'll trust your stroytelling abilities.

Edit2: Wait, the beast has gone into a cave system leading to the lower layers! Wait, how will that help? So conflicted... I'll save, but keep the savescum option open. Yep, I'll do that. This is not very Fun, not even !!FUN!!, as I'll be able to either kill it or wait it out. Huh, teaches me to play on my own weak but private Computer.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41612 on: May 29, 2015, 06:18:53 pm »

I'm rolling back to 34.11 to get sieges back. I've squeezed all the enjoyment I can out of fortresses where nothing interesting happens.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #41613 on: May 29, 2015, 06:42:13 pm »

I'm rolling back to 34.11 to get sieges back. I've squeezed all the enjoyment I can out of fortresses where nothing interesting happens.
And Overseer still works for 34.11 :D

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41614 on: May 29, 2015, 08:22:29 pm »

A weapon smith suddenly had a fey mood. I realized I didn't have an anvil so I build gem windows around him.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41615 on: May 29, 2015, 08:29:31 pm »

ImagoDeo cancels Long Hiatus: Re-read Boatmurdered.

H'lo, guys, I'm back. I noticed my DayCare thread is still going strong - what a surprise! I'll go drop in at some point and make some updates to the OP, since everything's likely extremely outdated.

0.40 is boring? No sieges? Huh. Well, I guess I'll have to make my own Fun, then.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Dragoon508

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41616 on: May 29, 2015, 10:33:46 pm »

Don;t know what you guys are talking about. In the current version I have been in 2 sieges so far. In order to have a siege however make sure you are close enough to the goblins as well as being at war with them, although your civ may declare war even while in fort mode. So you could embark while at peace and then go to war a couple years later.

Final thing is that sieges only happen when you have 80 pop now apparently

Gojira1000

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands a glass bed? Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41617 on: May 29, 2015, 11:17:35 pm »

Earthscrape is a solid 2 sieges yearly (at year 11 now, took about 3 years to get the invasions rolling) - goblins and elves. The elves seem to be running out of cannon fodder, but each goblin raid has been bigger - the last was 50-odd goblins and 30-something trolls. One giant wandered in, and the caverns have had four FBs visit. All in all, it's been a good fort.
"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." - Oscar Wilde

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41618 on: May 29, 2015, 11:28:32 pm »

Just realized my currrent fort is full of iron and gold.
To be honest, I haven't seen much iron ore since df2014.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

infrequentLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41619 on: May 29, 2015, 11:52:56 pm »

Struck the earth! at Unolestun "Soulbinds".  Trying a few things that are new to me with this fortress.  Going to try to get a military squad set up at all, and right off the bat finally figured out how to use garbage dumps and channels to quantum stockpile.  Got all the goods in in record time!

I even thought to make the landing zone a food stockpile, to stop the rot.  But wait, now there are flies everywhere.  Better pasture the cats in the food stockpile.  The 1x1 food stockpile below my still being used dump zone.

Quote from: Reports
the Cat is fighting!

The ((bituminous coal)) strikes The Stray Cat in the left front leg and the injured part explodes into gore!
An artery has been opened by the attack!
The ((tetrahedrite)) strikes The Stray Cat in the right front leg and the injured part is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!

The poor thing has recovered, and now it's slowly pushing itself around using its rear legs.  At least, I think that's what the background icon thing behind it is supposed to mean.  Poor cat  :-[
Bugs from Normal Games: "The game stutters for six seconds before crashing."
Bugs from Broken Games: "The lighting is weird and the characters have no faces."
Bugs from Dwarf Fortress: "The horses outnumber us. I have seen settlements with a thousand horses to a man. I have seen them in the deepest caverns. They are everywhere. Liberate te ex equus."

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41620 on: May 30, 2015, 02:56:13 am »

Don;t know what you guys are talking about. In the current version I have been in 2 sieges so far. In order to have a siege however make sure you are close enough to the goblins as well as being at war with them, although your civ may declare war even while in fort mode. So you could embark while at peace and then go to war a couple years later.

Final thing is that sieges only happen when you have 80 pop now apparently

I'm embarking adjacent to goblin sites while at war with them and still only getting sieges exceptionally rarely. The population requirement for sieges isn't new. 

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41621 on: May 30, 2015, 03:31:14 am »

Struck the earth! at Unolestun "Soulbinds".  Trying a few things that are new to me with this fortress.  Going to try to get a military squad set up at all, and right off the bat finally figured out how to use garbage dumps and channels to quantum stockpile.  Got all the goods in in record time!

I even thought to make the landing zone a food stockpile, to stop the rot.  But wait, now there are flies everywhere.  Better pasture the cats in the food stockpile.  The 1x1 food stockpile below my still being used dump zone.

Quote from: Reports
the Cat is fighting!

The ((bituminous coal)) strikes The Stray Cat in the left front leg and the injured part explodes into gore!
The ((tetrahedrite)) strikes The Stray Cat in the right front leg and the injured part is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!

The poor thing has recovered, and now it's slowly pushing itself around using its rear legs.  At least, I think that's what the background icon thing behind it is supposed to mean.  Poor cat  :-[

My cat was killed by a {rat remain}.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41622 on: May 30, 2015, 05:08:16 am »

Making a new fort in this version for the first time.

I've decided to go for eggs instead of plants/trapped cave animals as my main food source; which is working. However, how long does it take for eggs to hatch? I'm trying to have some hatch and they've been sitting there fertile for over 2 seasons now. [Living mainly off chicken eggs right now; but trying to breed my lower number of turkeys and ducks]

The fort's going nicely, got the basics running and finished constructing my bedrooms and working on my grand dining room; with the kitchens behind it. [I'll move the farms and poltry farms near those later]. Working on relocateing my industries deeper than the entrance of my fort.

After doing this; I plan to work on a Dwarfy project where I either make some sort of mass cave creature triple pit system to deal with different hazards while allowing me to shepherd the beasts from pit to pit allowing me to loot. [1 pit for invaders; 1 pit for things such as traders i want to loot; and 1 pit for unfortunate accidents]. Ultimately I'd like to weaponize a Forgotten Beast like this. The plan is to convert my 'Old Area' [Where we did stuff while the miners dug deeper] of my fort into a bridge system which directs the various things to the correct pit, and then uses more bridges to allow the beast to move from pit to pit. Likewise; this would allow me to release a FB/Cave creature swarm if I had to upon a seige.

And if I need live bait to draw in the beast, well, that's what Cheesemakers are for; right?

Also gives !!FUN!! potential if a crazy dorf pulls the right combination to levers to let the beast escape the pits and get into the fortress proper. I plan to use a double or even triple drawbridge lock to all main entrances to my fort to minimize this danger.

That and FUN if I mess up the system and it fails completely.

===
And the the game crashes while saving causing me to lose a couple of hours of digging and stuff. Oh well. That's what I get for forgetting to set seasonal autosaves and backups in the init.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 05:17:43 am by Raikaria »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41623 on: May 30, 2015, 10:55:13 am »

Upon viewing the thoughts of my crippled guard captain after he didn't even get to see the titan his squad was killing: "I try not to interrupt".

Just got an even better result when killing the Titan this time: no injuries. THe trick is to organise bum rushes by making all your soldiers stand in one place then ordering them to kill something.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41624 on: May 30, 2015, 12:35:35 pm »

Upon viewing the thoughts of my crippled guard captain after he didn't even get to see the titan his squad was killing: "I try not to interrupt".

Just got an even better result when killing the Titan this time: no injuries. THe trick is to organise bum rushes by making all your soldiers stand in one place then ordering them to kill something.

A staging area is key to successful combat, otherwise you end up with Urist McAgile facing the enemy alone and Urist McForgothiswarpants bumbling around the stockpile.
Pages: 1 ... 2773 2774 [2775] 2776 2777 ... 3842