Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2769 2770 [2771] 2772 2773 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6115726 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #41550 on: May 25, 2015, 04:41:49 am »

A way for a single dorf to pretend they are taking part in a fortress and such, make workshops, etc.

My last week or so in fortress mode has been trying to track down and replicate the artifact creation process as an adventurer, and I did it, but I can't replicate it with other saves.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41551 on: May 25, 2015, 08:33:05 am »

My fort received a new migrant, who spawned between two trees which blocked his way to the entrance. Below him was the 30 z level deep grand pit.
The lone expedition leader was on break so no one was going to cut down the trees for him any time sooner.
But to my surprise, the migrant climbed in when I was no looking and began to work.
It was then I noticed he was an expert climber.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41552 on: May 25, 2015, 08:38:06 am »

My fort received a new migrant, who spawned between two trees which blocked his way to the entrance. Below him was the 30 z level deep grand pit.
The lone expedition leader was on break so no one was going to cut down the trees for him any time sooner.
But to my surprise, the migrant climbed in when I was no looking and began to work.
It was then I noticed he was an expert climber.

what use does climber stat even have...other than for dorfs who try to get into utunnels fort....like is it even used in anything?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #41553 on: May 25, 2015, 08:43:24 am »

Aything involving climbing, as hinted at in the name. It's also useful for shenanigans involving trees and saving the lives of incautiously channeling miners. It's more of a thing in adventure mode.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41554 on: May 25, 2015, 09:26:05 am »

Climbing helps you grab walls when falling, it does little while actually holding a wall as far as I can tell.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41555 on: May 25, 2015, 09:54:18 am »

As for the fort of mine, I can safely say the nobles' quarters (AKA the Noble Hand-Grenade) is completed, although my fortress is suffering issues with running outta fuel, and as much as I'd like to bring the magma up to my fort, I had an FPS mangling through pump stacks, and even then, can't exactly get by water too easily.  Wondering how many wood burning workshops I'll need before I can reliably produce fuel for five smelters, three forges, five glass workshops, and five kilns...  (Not that I'm using the kilns for much aside from making pearlash, but I think I'm with too little fuel power.)

Maybe a magma forge down deep isn't the worst idea I've had...

ThePeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41556 on: May 25, 2015, 11:00:06 am »

Well, Good news and bad news. Bad news; I have a vampire:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Good News: As you can see he/she decided to drain a child, so I didn't lose anybody valuable.

Addendum: Sleuthed her out. Locked her in a room with stuff to do for all eternity. Shame, I was planning on having her lead a Hammerdwarf squad before I figured out that she was the vamp.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 12:01:58 pm by ThePeanut »
ThePeanut likes Dwarf Fortress for its difficulty, Killer Instinct for its characters, Tolkien and H.P. Lovecraft for their works of fiction, Scimitars for their curved blades, and Dogs for their barks. He prefers to consume cheese whenever possible. If possible, he would spend the rest of his days not doing much of anything.
He dreams of mastering a skill.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #41557 on: May 25, 2015, 12:52:15 pm »

you can do that ayways. let her train constantly then when a siege comes, let her loose.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41558 on: May 25, 2015, 12:55:08 pm »

Always wanted to do that with a caught, armed, trained (spike pits) and armoured Blind Cave Ogre... my own liddle superweapon.
One wheel short of a wagon

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41559 on: May 25, 2015, 01:16:45 pm »

A trapper just gave birth to a girl in the caverns. Odd. Called her Tosid Tombhame, with a "hame" being either something to do with a plough or some old word for skirt. How curious. I am currently mining adamantine, after exams may post thread about me beating Hell, as tset have shown on backedup worlds my demons to be pretty wimpy.
One wheel short of a wagon

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41560 on: May 25, 2015, 05:34:52 pm »

Just had my first titan attack; it was some fire breathing loris. The good news is that it only got a few tiles into the fort before my militia commander chopped its head off. The bad news it that everything outside the fort is either ashes or on fire.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41561 on: May 25, 2015, 06:28:02 pm »

I've used legitimate planning in my training tactics by training a squad to legendary and then making them trainers for the rookie squads. I've trained them in leather armor before they were ready to wear steel and I spent years burning and mining and smelting to make sure there were enough masterwork weapons and armor to go around. My captain of the guard is a legendary swordsman and a high master teacher with an artifact steel short sword and an artifact bone shield. I built a castle, a legitimate castle with unassailable walls and positions for marskdwarves to gather. I am at war with elves and goblins, I have embarked in elven territory adjacent to a goblin fortress. I have seen a few semi-megabeasts but with an actual army they are pointlessly weak. I crave conflict. I need bloodshed.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41562 on: May 25, 2015, 06:34:39 pm »

Decided to make my military based around a single dwarf- and his dog/bear/tiger/cave dragon/roc. And this guy wouldn't have a shield. He'd have a pick and a hammer. So far, he's legendary in both weapons, and great in armour using and proficient in dodging. He has eight dogs, a grizzly bear, two elephants, a jabberer, and a giant tiger. Hoping to catch a cave dragon or roc. There's a roc nearby, too. I know this, because I embarked on it's nest. I'm only one map tile away from where my last fort was. That thing better come, because I've set up a trap specifically for it.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41563 on: May 25, 2015, 08:10:05 pm »

Caravan grinders.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41564 on: May 25, 2015, 10:15:03 pm »

Sadly, Torcholive is no more. Due to bugs, as one might imagine. A forgotten beast made of flame came to the fort - and due to the poor way the AI manages high temperatures, my troops refused to engage in combat. By luck, a ranger nearby killed the beast but the damage was already done. Said ranger and my entire military are now standing around the cavern floor slowly starving to death because the wall nearby is kinda hot. Turning temperature off didn't resolve the issues, unfortunately. 

I might return to the fort if I can find some DFhack solution.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.
Pages: 1 ... 2769 2770 [2771] 2772 2773 ... 3842