Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2748 2749 [2750] 2751 2752 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113153 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #41235 on: May 07, 2015, 07:44:57 pm »

Had a couple with retainers in 2014.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #41236 on: May 07, 2015, 10:17:56 pm »

Tried reclaiming Ringscars from the undead water buffalo menace. Spent all I could on equipping soldiers in full copper gear with bucklers and maces. Managed to bring 4 decently equipped soldiers with novice skill level in the relevant categories. I figured four fighters with shields tackling a zombie buffalo could bring it down by strength of numbers. They all had good stats for soldiers, good strength, agility, willpower, etc. I couldn't afford any skill levels higher than novice, but surely the shields and the 4 of them could take on 1 undead buffalo.

Upon arriving, the four soldiers gear up while the 3 peasants go about gathering some plants for food and hauling some of the scattered goods into stockpiles. There's no sign of the undead, and I figure that the undead all left after the fortress was abandoned. Then one of the peasants finds a skeletal dog (apparently hiding under the trade depot) and gets himself chewed up pretty badly before the soldiers arrive to bash the dog to pieces. The peasant's injuries left him disabled and not of any use. Will probably die of infection. Or zombies. Whichever happens first.

Then another peasant finds an undead hen corpse and the dreaded undead water buffalo corpse "Hailedclears the Embraced Alchemy". The undead corpses leap from ambush, despite somehow hiding in plain site on the barren side of the sinister mountain. The peasant decides to fight a huge undead cow like an idiot and gets himself strangled by the beastly bovine bastard's hooves. Despite being crippled and left crawling on the ground, the buffalo seems none the worse for wear. He's covered in scars from the earlier fights (this just in, zombies apparently can scab and develop scars) and his legs are crippled but still useable for wrasslin and strangling useless peasants.

3 of the 4 soldiers charge the monster. The fight starts well. The troops block any attacks and avoid getting gored, although the undead hunk of beef manages to get in wrestling attempts. Then Hailedclears gets a lucky hit on one of the soldiers and turns his leg into chunky meat salsa. The unlucky soldier gives into pain and gets his head exploded into meat by Hailedclears.

One by one, the soldiers are turned into giblets by the animated hamburger slab until only one soldier -the straggler who was late to joining the fight- and one useless peasant remains. Welp, this reclaim is bound for failure.

Think I'll go and generate a new world with more evil areas and hopefully less animated water buffalo corpses. This is making for fun, if brief and futile, embarks.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41237 on: May 07, 2015, 11:50:30 pm »

If you don't want to much fun, you can turtle first. bring only some helmet seeds and dig a hole on the ground...

Good story anyway.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

IRON_GAUNTLET

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41238 on: May 08, 2015, 03:45:52 am »

I have been working on a Trap corridor, that was specifically made to drop elven traders into an arena-pit, where they would have to fight against untamed beasts and creatures of the night. However, an unexpected surprise caught me when I retracted the bridge:

They just climb along the walls!! A season worth of work rendered pointless instantly! GODDAMN ELVES!

bay12: the place where the simulated mass murder of children is acceptable and even encouraged, but a demographic survey is controversial.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41239 on: May 08, 2015, 04:42:11 am »

They just climb along the walls!! A season worth of work rendered pointless instantly! GODDAMN ELVES!

Should have made the walls out of rock blocks, harder to climb than dirt walls. :P

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41240 on: May 08, 2015, 08:25:34 am »

an unexpected surprise caught me when I retracted the bridge:

Never, never, NEver NEVer NEVEr NEVER retract a bridge! Always raise bridge!
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41241 on: May 08, 2015, 09:09:39 am »

an unexpected surprise caught me when I retracted the bridge:

Never, never, NEver NEVer NEVEr NEVER retract a bridge! Always raise bridge!
That wont get them into the pit as he planned, but that beside the point...

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #41242 on: May 08, 2015, 09:10:00 am »

Raising bridge kills my own guys a lot so I use retracting.

Good for pits of doom.

To stop the climbers try putting the bridge at a place that has smooth natural walls.

Another option is a corridor of cage/weapon traps right after the bridge.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41243 on: May 08, 2015, 10:04:36 am »

Wall, empty space, bridge, empty space, wall.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41244 on: May 08, 2015, 10:27:31 am »

But then things could climb straight out of the pit.

How about constructed fortifications?  Those should stop them from clinging.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 10:29:21 am by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41245 on: May 08, 2015, 10:54:04 am »

*sniffle* It's just so beautiful! :-[
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41246 on: May 08, 2015, 11:00:17 am »

These are my founding dwarves, in stone sense.
Wait, what happened to that Cog guy?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41247 on: May 08, 2015, 11:16:16 am »

But then things could climb straight out of the pit.

How about constructed fortifications?  Those should stop them from clinging.
Have the side pit drop all the way past the pit for more fun, have the bottom of the pit itself be smoothed natural stone.

Fortifications are super easy to grab btw, I've jumped across entire maps and casually stopped myself by grabbing the top of a goblin tower.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41248 on: May 08, 2015, 02:19:57 pm »

My new fortress, Sparktower, unexpectedly became a hermit challenge: right after embark everyone but one dwarf suddenly melted and bled to death. I have no idea what happened.

Maybe the Scorching biome was a bit too scorching...
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41249 on: May 08, 2015, 02:54:47 pm »

My new fortress, Sparktower, unexpectedly became a hermit challenge: right after embark everyone but one dwarf suddenly melted and bled to death. I have no idea what happened.

Maybe the Scorching biome was a bit too scorching...

Guess they had too much dwarven beer and went kaboom.  Alas, poor six dwarves.
Pages: 1 ... 2748 2749 [2750] 2751 2752 ... 3842