Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2745 2746 [2747] 2748 2749 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112897 times)

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #41190 on: May 04, 2015, 09:09:26 pm »

"What do you mean, too many turkey?"

Amazing.

The neverending cloud of miasma from rotten turkey meat hovering around my butcher's shop was less amazing...

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41191 on: May 05, 2015, 01:46:23 am »

Oh great. Now the caravan were stranded here, again.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41192 on: May 05, 2015, 06:11:31 am »

I thought I had designed a beautiful system for switching access to the depot between the outside world and my subterranean fort. A raising bridge over a ramp, so that nothing can destroy the bridge, with the bridge set so that when down it cover the external access to the depot, and when up, it blocks the fort's direct route to the depot. A beautiful system, as I say, and one that I have used in several forts. One that, this time round, has already been responsible for the demise of four dwarves and an entire caravan.

Back to the drawing board...
Unofficial Lazy Newb Pack 43.03, Dwarf Mode only
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41193 on: May 05, 2015, 07:38:42 am »

Just examined one of my fort's statues and noticed a rather amusing name contradiction:

My civilisation is "The Fondled Key", with my group called "The Big Boulders" (love it).

The fort itself is named Friendlyworks. Head of the fort? "Bomrek Roastmerchants."

Eeek. No wonder I don't get much trade...

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41194 on: May 05, 2015, 09:34:05 am »

As of now, I'm preparing to get some proper castle walls up after the werebear incident I had in hopes of completing them before goblins start besieging my fort.

I do wonder how one gets things out of a cage that are not animals though.  (Namely a dead dwarf.)

Editing for update on going-ons:  The same werebear attacked, and mangled one of the bat women on the surface, as well as one of my dwarves.  The only plus side I have is that I now have a glorified cardboard tube that is a blowgun.

I better cage the other bat woman before something bad happens to her.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 10:24:02 am by NESgamer190 »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41195 on: May 05, 2015, 10:57:40 am »

First, the goblins attacked, again, when the Fall Dwarf Caravan arrived.  And between the guards and my militia, and some of the stone traps I placed at the river crossing (bridges) they were wiped out to the last one.  Loot!  But now it is messy again...all that blood and body parts.   :(

On the other hand I was able to dump a lot of stuff onto the caravan.   :D

I found that my eleven year old Dwarf child who was going to turn into an adult in Summer is still eleven.  It was his birthday but for some reason it said he was still eleven afterwards.  I did the math and realized he has been ten years old before the birthday and the game had just SAID he was eleven.  Fake ID?  Anyway, I have to wait another year to see what happens when he, and the other children, turn into a adults.  Not sure the game will last that long.   :-\

But really want to see what results I get from my Hands Off System of Child Rearing.   ;)

Also, I seem to have a Family Reunion of Forgotten Beasts below my Fortress.  About ten at this point - one is made out of snow.  As I refuse to enter the caves they just kind of stand around.  Don't even attack anything.    Just kind of stand there, doing nothing.   ::)

More cougar clubs were born.  But then I had a wild cougar run into one of my stone traps and had to mercy kill it.   :'(
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #41196 on: May 05, 2015, 02:07:10 pm »

IT JUST KEEPS HAPPENING

I let my helmet snakes hatch, and when they did they were fully grown. Then I let them all lay eggs. Then I let those eggs hatch. What have I done. Also some of those hatching eggs were cave dragons.

On another note, I have captured a giant to go with my two giantesses. TIME FOR GIANT BREEDING!

LockeTalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41197 on: May 05, 2015, 02:14:46 pm »

Something just happened in my fort that I've never seen before.

Apparently a dwarf who migrated in a few years back was the son of a baron or something, because I just got the following message: "Endok Brasscreatures, being the rightful heir, has inherited the position of baron of Urntool."

My fortress is named Sardim (Greatrocks), and it  already has a baroness, I figured maybe she died or something and Endok was taking over. But I open the nobles screen, and lo and behold, there are two "a barony" entries: the baroness of my fortress, and this guy, who is now the baron of someplace else.

While I do like the idea that my fortress is attracting royalty from all over the world, I don't like the idea of another noble making demands. For instance, my baroness just demanded a platinum bed in her throne room -- I don't think there's even any way to MAKE one of those.

Perhaps I will arm and armor them both, then lock them in the arena with dangerous creatures until one of them is dead.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 02:17:04 pm by LockeTalks »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41198 on: May 05, 2015, 02:18:25 pm »

For instance, my baroness just demanded a platinum bed in her throne room -- I don't think there's even any way to MAKE one of those.

IT JUST KEEPS HAPPENING

I let my helmet snakes hatch, and when they did they were fully grown. Then I let them all lay eggs. Then I let those eggs hatch. What have I done. Also some of those hatching eggs were cave dragons.

On another note, I have captured a giant to go with my two giantesses. TIME FOR GIANT BREEDING!
I'm gonna make "FUCK OFF MY MAP" into a thing in your honor.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #41199 on: May 05, 2015, 02:19:33 pm »

Go ahead. Also, thank god for legendary butchers because I'm slaughtering most of those hatchlings.

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41200 on: May 05, 2015, 02:28:16 pm »

The mayor of Friendlyworks has been re-elected 4 times, and is yet to mandate anything other than the production of anvils and an insane obsession with stockpiling them.

I have thus built her a glorious tomb in the shape of an absolutely enormous anvil.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41201 on: May 05, 2015, 02:50:27 pm »

You know, you can melt the anvils after.  You don't have to keep them.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41202 on: May 05, 2015, 03:23:46 pm »

Even better, you can build numerous forges and use then to train your entire labourer population as novice smiths, so that moods will always give something useful.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41203 on: May 05, 2015, 03:30:59 pm »

novice weaponsmiths, you mean.
One wheel short of a wagon

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41204 on: May 05, 2015, 03:37:38 pm »

Masterwork armor is useful too.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 2745 2746 [2747] 2748 2749 ... 3842