Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2726 2727 [2728] 2729 2730 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111509 times)

YomToxic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40905 on: April 18, 2015, 03:33:49 pm »

Finished constructing the Centrifugal Goblinite Extractor. Works like a charm!

Should I smooth the floor?

Why wouldn't you? dont forget to smooth the walls as well. c:

Smoothed walls/floors increases impact damage, right?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #40906 on: April 18, 2015, 03:54:45 pm »

No, they just look better.

The three dwarves that fell into eerie pits are rising as ghosts. I'm slabbing them as they rise.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40907 on: April 18, 2015, 03:59:30 pm »

Finished constructing the Centrifugal Goblinite Extractor. Works like a charm!

Should I smooth the floor?

Why wouldn't you? dont forget to smooth the walls as well. c:

Smoothed walls/floors increases impact damage, right?

Nah, just looks nice and trains engravers without messing up the King's bedroom with poor "artwork". If you're looking to increase damage, then you should re-floor it with something dense. As far as gravity is concerned, the ground is a hammer; so flooring it with something heavy like cobaltite, cinnabar, or platinum will "swing" the hammer with that much more force than soil, wood, or jet. Alternatively, you can partially baby-proof a danger-room with candy or featherwood floors.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

YomToxic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40908 on: April 18, 2015, 04:45:07 pm »

Nah, just looks nice and trains engravers without messing up the King's bedroom with poor "artwork". If you're looking to increase damage, then you should re-floor it with something dense. As far as gravity is concerned, the ground is a hammer; so flooring it with something heavy like cobaltite, cinnabar, or platinum will "swing" the hammer with that much more force than soil, wood, or jet. Alternatively, you can partially baby-proof a danger-room with candy or featherwood floors.

And I was stashing cobaltite in a room just above for rockfall traps since dig shaft B is where I plan to breach the underground caverns. Thanks for the tip!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #40909 on: April 18, 2015, 05:14:11 pm »

Two fire imps jumped out of the magma hole. One was caught in a cage trap, the other was torn to shreds by the dwarves before it could do anything.

Also, one of my elite marksdwarves whacked a magma crab with his crutch through a block of solid adamantine. There's no way they could have been near each other.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40910 on: April 19, 2015, 04:46:52 am »

I'm looking at the artifact listing... I think the craftsdwarves are trying to tell a story with these artifact names:

- Slyequals the Ignited Baldness, a perfect dendritic agate
- The Courage of Helms, a rock salt bracelet
- Helmfroze, a swan leather buckler

I'm curious to hear what happened next.

In other news, all defensive structures of Savagesilver are now complete. The last thing to finish was Fort Lickit, a fortified archer tower made entirely out of rock salt. I hope visiting megabeasts will like my party snacks.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40911 on: April 19, 2015, 05:59:14 am »

Wild boar corpses slaughtered the elven caravan.

The Wild Boar Sow Corpse kicks The Yak Cow in the head with her left rear hoof and the injured part collapses into a lump of gore!
The Wild Boar Sow Corpse kicks The Donkey in the head with her right front hoof and the injured part collapses into a lump of gore!
The Wild Boar Sow Corpse kicks The Elf Merchant in the head with her right rear hoof and the injured part explodes into gore!
The Wild Boar Sow Corpse kicks The Elf Merchant in the head with her left front hoof and the injured part collapses!
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

YomToxic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40912 on: April 19, 2015, 07:18:31 pm »

First major siege; and I didn't have a proper military trained up yet. Fortunately, all the walls held fast, and after making sure everyone was accounted for, I restricted them to the main civilian burrow (some workshops, the dining table, food stockpile, water reservoir etc), while I quickly drafted some newer migrants into a marksman militia. Fortunately, the base had only one major entry, guarded by a stout drawbridge and we had enough food to last.

Spring passed, then summer. By this time, I had an acceptable military, and I had them station in a tower overlooking the old entry tunnel (now a death zone of traps). Opening the gate to this tunnel, the marksmen did as they were trained, raining bolts o' death as the invaders tried to breach the heavily defended tunnel. Eventually, the siegers decided they had enough and they fled.

As I ended the "War Footing" Civilian alert, I got a message that my weaponsmith had started working on a mysterious construction.

Then this happened.

Oh crap.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #40913 on: April 19, 2015, 07:37:49 pm »

The gold mace should be a pretty decent symbol of office for your commander; functional, blinging, and covered in the engraved history of the multiverse.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40914 on: April 19, 2015, 08:25:35 pm »

The gold mace should be a pretty decent symbol of office for your commander; functional, blinging, and covered in the engraved history of the multiverse.
Can you enlist the monarch? This would be perfect for a legendary warrior king.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40915 on: April 19, 2015, 08:36:50 pm »

The well shaft turned out to be a big security risk, so I sealed it with a retracting bridge unless someone needed it.
The tombs in the shaft were also smashed by unknown creatures, exposing the corpses.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40916 on: April 19, 2015, 08:38:43 pm »

I couldn't get a screenshot, I was trying to see if I could produce one of the eldritch megamegabeast temple/lair/shrine/ohgodwhat structures with less than 100k mega/semimega pops, got a world set up with 50k of each and besides legends having fun stuff like 4.6k Rocs attacking a site I noticed one lair was listed as having like 1020 Rocs, tracked down the location with gm-editor and embarked on it, ended up also embarking on a lair with 100 something Hydras, I was barely able to move the screen and look around and after getting it to unpause I just let it play out. The Rocs got to the Hydras first, so I saw slow-motion explosions of hydra teeth (god I hope they weren't roc teeth, as they don't even have any), blood spraying across the trees, and my dorfs getting gangbanged by the closest bunch of multiheaded bastards to reach them.

YomToxic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40917 on: April 19, 2015, 09:36:37 pm »

How good do you think it is? Isnt silver better(denser), or am I wrong?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40918 on: April 20, 2015, 12:35:19 am »

A giant lion tamarin corpse attacked the homeland caravan and got a steel spear lodged in the brain. The wagons didn't even stop as if nothing happened.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 03:00:59 am by utunnels »

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40919 on: April 20, 2015, 02:59:59 am »

Migrant wave brought a Turkey that was infested with Ticks and Lice. Now all my livestock have it, and there are slugs and snails and worms all over the place with the louse, fleas, and ticks.
I'm open to suggestions, I am just about to flood the room. I'm not sure if I can fix this or just have to slaughter everything and start over.

Pages: 1 ... 2726 2727 [2728] 2729 2730 ... 3842