Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2707 2708 [2709] 2710 2711 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110611 times)

Exasperated Cultist

• Escaped Lunatic
  • !!Elf Necromancer!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40620 on: April 02, 2015, 02:18:49 am »

My dwarves made a single four-hundred stack of dwarven rum roasts, AKA rum-flavoured guacamole, containing approximately my entire summer harvest. Total value of more than 368,000. Bought out the first dwarven caravan with only eighty of the 400-odd "roasts", and come spring of the second year, it was still 12/13ths of the fortress' created wealth.

NukeACitrus

• Bay Watcher
  • I stream DF. People watch it. I'm happy.
    • View Profile
    • I'm streaming DF every now and then
« Reply #40621 on: April 02, 2015, 03:11:53 am »

My orcs just made an fool out of gnomish engineering:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wave breaker made out of bones. Why? Science.

EDIT: I'm playing masterwork.

EDIT2: The blob looking thing covering the wall is foam from an wave hitting the construction.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:14:41 am by NukeACitrus »
"I managed to escape but my limbs are chopped off. Now what?" - DF wiki.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40622 on: April 02, 2015, 07:02:42 am »

My engraver is good, but bad. I have about twenty that show laboring dwarfs as the founding of roughdusk and then I have the rest about spinach and other civs animal training. Wha? Well maybe something cool will happen so he can get some inspiration.
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40623 on: April 02, 2015, 01:34:56 pm »

My dwarves made a single four-hundred stack of dwarven rum roasts, AKA rum-flavoured guacamole, containing approximately my entire summer harvest. Total value of more than 368,000. Bought out the first dwarven caravan with only eighty of the 400-odd "roasts", and come spring of the second year, it was still 12/13ths of the fortress' created wealth.

Duuuude... but it was REALLY GOOD.

- Urist McHempFarmer
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Exasperated Cultist

• Escaped Lunatic
  • !!Elf Necromancer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40624 on: April 02, 2015, 02:09:36 pm »

I also grow maize, so I can do tortillas. And I just bought out the first human caravan (there are neither elves nor goblins near my fortress) with sixty more of the guacamole. It is late summer, a year after it was initially made. It is still being eaten.

I think I may have stumbled upon "Taco Dwarf Bell: The Origin Story"

Inevitability

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40625 on: April 02, 2015, 03:21:31 pm »

After a random caravan guard shot the age into the age of the dragon, said dragon also dropped by to visit my fort.
After killing a few yaks - melting the trade depot and disarming the cage traps in the process - it stepped on a weapon trap and bled out on the stairs.
Shortly after a bone carver got a strange mood:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Edit: Also, just now a Hammerdwarf (without the hammer I assigned him) climbed a tree to bash a capybara with his shield.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 04:13:04 pm by Inevitability »

Gregor Samsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40626 on: April 02, 2015, 03:27:16 pm »

I have just noticed that one dorf who broke his hand and wrist as a kid has apparently been strapped to the traction bench for the last eleven years and two months while the doctors are waiting for the infected muscle to heal. WTF

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40627 on: April 02, 2015, 04:39:19 pm »

I have just noticed that one dorf who broke his hand and wrist as a kid has apparently been strapped to the traction bench for the last eleven years and two months while the doctors are waiting for the infected muscle to heal. WTF

This how far advanced health care has gotten so far. Clearly some of your doctors haven't gone to the local library yet.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40628 on: April 02, 2015, 05:27:19 pm »

Just struck hematite fo the 1st time ever, despite running 1 and starting 2 other forts. Embarked on volcanic mountains, had to mine below the low bit for sedimentary. The wiki is REALLY useful for this, and I can now have an ass-kickin' militia and damn the cost. Actually, it wasn't the cost as I can buy whole caravans with prepared food, gross gem stockpiles, platinum and gold crafts and silver trap components, but the annoyance of buying up all the iron stuff then melting it down. Grr!
   Btw, can I use coin to buy from caravan? I have a king, so can I mint for the kingdom? It would be one advantadge of the complaining, lazy legendary miner. My fort started out weird.
One wheel short of a wagon

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40629 on: April 02, 2015, 08:29:11 pm »

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

I must sig this.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40630 on: April 03, 2015, 03:52:29 am »

Potter has entered a fey mood!
Potter has claimed a Glass Furnace.

Why did I even build that thing? I am never, ever, going to make glass in my life, not in DF at least, and I don't even have sand! At all!

I stationed the least skilled squad around him so that if he went berserk (which he did) they would get some live-training. Although the whole month wasted spent waiting for him to go insane may have been better spent by doing regular training and assigning some war dogs instead.

Anyway, just when I was about to think "He ought to go insane now", he went berserk.

It sort of went like this:
Total time spent being insane: 2 seconds.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40631 on: April 03, 2015, 03:55:11 am »

Just struck hematite fo the 1st time ever, despite running 1 and starting 2 other forts. Embarked on volcanic mountains, had to mine below the low bit for sedimentary. The wiki is REALLY useful for this, and I can now have an ass-kickin' militia and damn the cost. Actually, it wasn't the cost as I can buy whole caravans with prepared food, gross gem stockpiles, platinum and gold crafts and silver trap components, but the annoyance of buying up all the iron stuff then melting it down. Grr!
   Btw, can I use coin to buy from caravan? I have a king, so can I mint for the kingdom? It would be one advantadge of the complaining, lazy legendary miner. My fort started out weird.

No.  The coins are part of an old economy system that toady took out.  Well, i think you could, but they would be traded like normal goods.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40632 on: April 03, 2015, 04:35:50 am »

That's all I wanted to know. Thanks.
One wheel short of a wagon

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40633 on: April 03, 2015, 05:58:57 am »

That's all I wanted to know. Thanks.
Protip: Using coins as trade good is a bad choice, if you use materials to make goblets instead, they can be far more expensive. For example, gold goblets are worth 2x to 36x as much as gold coins, depending on the quality of the item. Iron goblets are probably the same.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40634 on: April 03, 2015, 06:51:02 am »

Not really from my fort, but to whoever had the were-tapir outbreak: I looked up tapir attacks and oh god they are terrifying.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.
Pages: 1 ... 2707 2708 [2709] 2710 2711 ... 3842