Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2704 2705 [2706] 2707 2708 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110970 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40575 on: March 29, 2015, 05:41:07 pm »

It was a crossbow with a picture of a screaming vulture on it. Ooooookay then.

On an unrelated note, I bet my animal trainers have the highest social skills in the fort because they talk to their animals.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 05:45:18 pm by TheFlame52 »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #40576 on: March 29, 2015, 06:01:55 pm »

If you don't have any marksdwarves worthy of Screaming Vulture deth metol crossbow of screaming death, you can always put it in a room for mad value I suppose.

On an unrelated note, I bet my animal trainers have the highest social skills in the fort because they talk to their animals.
It doesn't surprise me one bit that animals make better conversation partners to Dwarves than other Dwarves.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40577 on: March 29, 2015, 06:12:08 pm »

If you don't have any marksdwarves worthy of Screaming Vulture deth metol crossbow of screaming death, you can always put it in a room for mad value I suppose.
Yah can't build a crossbow and I have 11 legendary marksdwaves and counting. But both captains already have named crossbows, one another artifact.

Ah well. My other weaponsmith I trained in the past few years (I hated my metal industry screeching to a halt whenever Iton took a break) likes bolts, so not only will he make better bolts which is basically his whole job he will also make a random weapon when he inevitably moods. He's 17, fortress born, so he'll live long enough to mood.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #40578 on: March 29, 2015, 06:17:26 pm »

Weapon trap + Crossbow = value room

He's 17, fortress born, so he'll live long enough to mood.
Ya jinxed it
Dead in a day I say

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40579 on: March 29, 2015, 06:23:25 pm »

Only things that could kill Bastiongate at this point are hell-based stupidity, FPS, or boredom.

Another hell FB showed up, a clear glass quadruped with poison gas. Hopefully he fares better than the last FB to show up in hell. Also it has wings and can fly for some reason. I hope it kills all the demons that have been bothering me.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40580 on: March 29, 2015, 06:46:07 pm »

I have to say, a crossbow with a screaming vulture on it does sound pretty badass... Screaming Vulture also sounds like a decent band name of some sort.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40581 on: March 30, 2015, 02:10:33 am »

Why there are always keas when the caravans are here?

For this reason, I named my marksdwarf squad The Bane of Keas.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40582 on: March 30, 2015, 02:18:50 am »

I have to say, a crossbow with a screaming vulture on it does sound pretty badass... Screaming Vulture also sounds like a decent band name of some sort.
Hopefully one of the new bard groups will choose it for a name.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40583 on: March 30, 2015, 02:23:18 am »

Oh, we got a problem here. Some amateur gelder just messed up.

I had to remove the farmer's workshop. The weasel just hid behind it and refused to come out. LMAO
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 02:26:49 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40584 on: March 30, 2015, 07:54:09 am »

I'm surprised no-one has actually brought this up yet (if they didn't, that is). I think that if the facepalm thread should be stickied, then this one should be as well.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40585 on: March 30, 2015, 09:11:07 am »

Idith Ast, "The System of Sabres", a green glass animal trap
 ::)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40586 on: March 30, 2015, 11:03:08 am »

I got a shale piccolo in The Crown. I'm getting increasingly nervous in regards to the whole "war" thing. So much so that I'm dropping my ayttempts at narrating things semi-condescendingly (towards the dorfs.) It only took the humans 2 years to find us, so where are the murdering slavers and hippies? I've gotten lucky during exploratory digging, finding gold and tetrahedrite instead of lead and zinc, resulting in some rose gold to make shit from so I can haphazardly sell it to both caravans in a vain attempt to make the enemy love my fort more than the others. Shouldn't be hard since I just dumped a bunch of exceptional bone garbage, shiny gold junk, and porcelain rubbish on the human caravan and intend to do the same next fall with normal gold replaced with rose gold.

I've also noticed that a little under half the human merchants have dwarven names, leading me to believe that part of the reason my civ hasn't been stamped out is because it has a healthy horde of  hastily raised peasant levies its human vassal state burps up to hurl at the hippies and slavers.

Torish no longer stands strong. It sits in a corner on a stained rug tryign to lick its own nostrils until something violent happens.

Exodus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40587 on: March 30, 2015, 11:32:26 am »

I've started a new fort in a dead/dying civilization, no humans or elves alive, only goblins and the Necro tower. And so I've decided to do something sorta new, at least for me.

I've built the entirety of my fort inside of the Caverns. Minus one long shaft to the surface, boarded up with walls, there is no way into the fort. All of the buildings are inside of the caverns. I've brought a large pack of dogs with me for war, hunting, and also a steady food source. Most of the cave creatures leave us be but the ones that get to close are quickly ganged up on either by my dwarves who seem to fight as a group even without having military training, or the Dog Pack which kills things...quickly. Very quickly.

So far it's a lot of fun playing in the Caverns. If only my civ wasn't basically dead, means that i'll have to make new dwarves...which takes a while.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40588 on: March 30, 2015, 11:41:59 am »

The caravan arrived with a liaison for once, which is a good sign. His and the several merchants being assigned noble duty implies either the king finally took his pants off his head or the dorfs are somehow winning the wars. And Mayor Etur finally has something to do besides idly twiddle his thumbs in his swanky office with its bitchin' porcelain statues of dwarves in it.

Apparently the latest news is a place called Siderings fell to a group called the Leafy Focus sometime in the last year or so and the human king became king several years ago (as in right before The Crown was founded.) Now I need to copy my save and do a legends dive to figure out who int eh hell the Leafy Focus is and why I should care about Siderings.

EDIT: Apparently it was the capital. Shit. Well, on the upside, the humans have been viciously attacking the elves in response, with The Band of Pants seizing a place belonging to the elves called Steel... Something or other. I also found a cave called "Stupidcave," which I found rather amusing. Hopefully "The Focus" will turn its belligerent gaze on the Crown next.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40589 on: March 30, 2015, 11:58:20 am »

I'm surprised no-one has actually brought this up yet (if they didn't, that is). I think that if the facepalm thread should be stickied, then this one should be as well.

The reason the facepalm thread is stickied is because you can learn from other's mistakes. Its kept up for the newbs, as well as the veterans.  You're not really learning much from this thread.
Pages: 1 ... 2704 2705 [2706] 2707 2708 ... 3842