Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2699 2700 [2701] 2702 2703 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111310 times)

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40500 on: March 24, 2015, 12:57:49 pm »

I can't have a race to simply hate and call evil and brutally kill with traps/military anymore.

Well, there's still kobolds. But they tend to be absolutely harmless in DF2014, so the hate is getting weaker.
You have elves and dwarves. If those aren't enough, I don't know what is. And anyway, kobolds are like puppies that steal your shoes and chew on them. How can you possibly be angry at that, while the people whose shoes they are don't even wear them when they need them (i.e. when the floor is covered with poisonous FB gunk)?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40501 on: March 24, 2015, 03:08:32 pm »

Well maybe civ ethics/types will come into play. So it would be fine to put your human attackers through your meat grinder when they are Urgafs the civ of brutal and primative slaver humans that practice sacrifices on their slaves to sate the desire of their dark god of sacrifice Grunig the cruel. Instead of the Yourn, an human civ of merchants and traders that practice religious freedom, they are also masters of taming the elusive dragon. Man, I really like that idea.  :o Is this or something like this planned?  :D   ;)
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #40502 on: March 24, 2015, 04:26:03 pm »

I can't have a race to simply hate and call evil and brutally kill with traps/military anymore.

Well, there's still kobolds. But they tend to be absolutely harmless in DF2014, so the hate is getting weaker.
You have elves and dwarves. If those aren't enough, I don't know what is. And anyway, kobolds are like puppies that steal your shoes and chew on them. How can you possibly be angry at that, while the people whose shoes they are don't even wear them when they need them (i.e. when the floor is covered with poisonous FB gunk)?
Go ahead. Steal that 2000U shoe. I have literally hundreds more. Bring your friends. Cart off my junk. Enjoy your new baubles.

Ganb

• Bay Watcher
  • Beast Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #40503 on: March 24, 2015, 07:24:10 pm »

Genning new worlds... find weird dwarven forest retreat, only dwarven landmark on the map, in the forest of 'gravel'. (Those are goblins in the mountains)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
When I go to pick a civ it has the elven tile icon.
turns out it's a dying or dead CIV

So at some point in this world... on the 'continent of alliance'.. dwarves and elves joined into one group. ...and then proceeded to get wiped out by Goblins. So I've decided to be a dwarf elf and see if I can rebuild this weird civ making forest retreat forts.
You need to find the most exotic animal pet you can, and then breed a war party of them. Have a beastmaster as your only guardian, wrapped in adamantium with a platinum war hammer that is backed by savage giant beasts from around the world.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40504 on: March 24, 2015, 08:49:57 pm »

Ganb, is all vanilla? Either way cool, and good luck! Oh and I just opened up the caverns to go get a dwarf trapped out, don't ask me why or how. So I open the gates and he starves. Oh well, I guess I'll just go kill that one snake man left. So I sent e'm all in! One arrived first and passed out after a broken jaw via bite. I was worried she would die but another decapitated it later so it's ok. Then she is rescued YAY!! Oh...oh no. Baby down!! So I think the poor little tykes dead for sure but he crawled all the way back to my door step! I had to stop for the night but it looks like he will make it in before I seal the caverns again! Victory.  ;D
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40505 on: March 24, 2015, 09:14:24 pm »

It is a good thing the duchess banned battle axe export, because when I type x to filter worn clothes there will be fewer distracters.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40506 on: March 25, 2015, 03:14:10 am »

Yeah and kobolds do kill dwarves. Large iron daggers are pretty damn good.

Also elves... nah, don't hate them. Unless they are particularly poor trading partners.

Dwarves ? Dwarves are stupid yes but why should I hate them ? I'm the one in charge of them.

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40507 on: March 25, 2015, 04:33:46 am »

Had a syndrome-spewing FB who got stuck pathing and wouldn't head into my FB-specific traps. So, cave-in time. Worked like a charm.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40508 on: March 25, 2015, 04:48:46 am »

Yeah and kobolds do kill dwarves. Large iron daggers are pretty damn good.

Also elves... nah, don't hate them. Unless they are particularly poor trading partners.

Dwarves ? Dwarves are stupid yes but why should I hate them? I'm the one in charge of them.
Dwarves act like complete and utter idiots, ignoring your orders in a manner that is suicidal, then complaining when they actually do die, despite your best efforts to keep them alive. Moreover, they never seem to question what their nobles do, despite the fact that even the deathtrap-building sociopathic spirit who can see everything is a more reasonable authority figure. Meanwhile, elves will respond to you buying up all of their rare animals but none of their cloth by bringing you only the cloth. Plus, they are complete and utter dhrghing snotnoses who will try and kill you for selling them wooden products.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40509 on: March 25, 2015, 05:53:05 am »

Was doing goblinite scavenging outside when several ambushed hit... and a necromancer with them. The zombie count exploded as dead corpses reanimated, and I lost five dwarves before they got it under control enough to GTFO.

It was some seriously impressive carnage. One of my dwarves took out over 70 goblin zombies, 20+ zombie dogs, and several zombie leopards.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40510 on: March 25, 2015, 06:42:43 am »

The broker behaves strangely. Secretive. It is determined she wants cut gems, so the mayor provides. And then mandates a ban on cup sales for some reason.

"THESE ARE OUR CUPS!" he surely shouted, before running off with the one box full of them.

Broker Adil produces Rakeskin, a horse bone short arming sword! Useless as it may be as an actual weapon, maybe at some point a champion will take it for a parrying blade. The Crown boasts a population of 71, soon to be more as several married dwarves arrived in the fall of the second year. 20 of these are soldiers, 2 guardsdwarves. A squad is made so that eventually marksdwarves can man the walls. Thanks to the recurring kobold intrusions from the last few years, the artifacts are moved down to the next level in a special storeroom.

The crops are expanded to include maize, rice, and barley, and courtyard slowly covered over in packed logs. Fruit tree seeds are thrown away without much thought. All is well, for now.

Torish stands strong.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40511 on: March 25, 2015, 08:54:36 am »

I am getting combat reports of an invisible werebull slaughtering the local wildlife. When I zoom to the report I find mangled corpses but no werebull.
Units>Others just lists some wild boars and a pike.
And I don't see any announcement that warned of the coming of a werebull.

Also, earlier I spotted a giant otter running through a forest. I was a bit alarmed at what looked like a tree was moving.

Additional: I had Dwarf Fortress crash, with a pop up message about compressed file corruption. Turns out my hard drive was full. Deleted old saves and recovered 20GB of space. Seasonal saves take up space.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40512 on: March 25, 2015, 10:20:17 am »

Gave up on the volcano embark because it was too easy mode... it had some sort of brown cloud that caused bruising and nausea.

Started a new fort on a snowy badlands plain, perfectly flat, with ice wolves and blizzard men.  The new area also has a blue cloud/mist that turns all living creatures into nefarious mist husks, so that should add a little zip to the embark.

I have 49 dwarves so far, an underground trade depot, and the magma sea is only 30 levels down.  I have red sand, so the fort is full of green glass everything.  Shaping up to be a good one... now if I can just get the husks to attack ME rather than each other...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:55:54 pm by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Ganb

• Bay Watcher
  • Beast Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #40513 on: March 25, 2015, 10:34:01 am »

Yeah, vanilla. I mean, I removed aquifers, but I don't see how that would somehow lead to dwarves and elves merging forces.
Unless I've seriously underestimated the balancing nature of aquifers.

A lot of the pocket worlds I genned had weird civs though, it must be a pocket thing.
You need to find the most exotic animal pet you can, and then breed a war party of them. Have a beastmaster as your only guardian, wrapped in adamantium with a platinum war hammer that is backed by savage giant beasts from around the world.

n3bux

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40514 on: March 25, 2015, 03:23:03 pm »

got a pretty stable fort now. i didn't play for 2 years and now i got the latest version and i'm having a blast, also newposter.
short story is that i got 2 sieges that i had defended myself. the only "FUN" fact is that a wrestler got first into combat, got a bit maimed by goblins, send to hospital and after he left crippled i watched his inventory and he still had two iron spears struck into both of his legs. i should punish the medic for that.
Pages: 1 ... 2699 2700 [2701] 2702 2703 ... 3842