Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2698 2699 [2700] 2701 2702 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111374 times)

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40485 on: March 23, 2015, 09:30:04 am »

Starting over again, afyer this save kept crashing. Conplete ctd. Now going to Try and settle by a necromancer tower.

Keep in mind that building over tree branch will cause a CTD.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40486 on: March 23, 2015, 10:24:36 am »

The garbage train just left my fort.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40487 on: March 23, 2015, 10:30:30 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Garbage train? Okay, I'm curious. How does it work?

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #40488 on: March 23, 2015, 10:41:26 am »

Garbage train = caravans.

Nicely timed screenshot. I don't think Ive ever gotten that many wagons in one go though. Probably because I don't buy much from them.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40489 on: March 23, 2015, 11:02:53 am »

I did a no military fort, and I'm bored. 
Goblin should have clear path to me with no water or mountain, but no siege/ambush in 4 years still.

Wealth is generated from Lavish meals.  Working full time: 2 Plant Gatherer, 2 Grower, 1 Miller/Shearer/Spinner, 1 Thresher/Weave/Cloth, 3 Cooks, 2 Brewer, 1 Woodcutter/Wood Hauler. 
Carpenter workshop on Barrel Repeat for Novice to Adequate.

I had 8 Fish Cave people (Hostile), they killed all the trundles in Cavern 2; killed an FB so a named Fish Cave Spearman lived. 
I spent constructing a trap / bridge / pit trap, but a chained kitten did not lure them in.  A pastured kitten outside, and later inactivated runs back and forth while toggling the hatch access to forbidden.  The kitten (now cat) even paths through the Fish Cave people, but they don't bother.
An 8-legged Giraffe FB that breaths fire visited and killed the Fish Cave people; broke my door and left my chained kitten's head;  the kitten outside help spread the fire as the FB chased and burned everything, causing cave-in spam. 

So I am in the process of making building destroyer traps--slowly going. 

I found magma, and started some metal industry.  It's taking forever to get my haulers to bring stone and flux.  I need to learn how to minecart successfully all these. 

Pop went over 80, and I'm not a barony.

I have plenty of dug in common bedrooms for 10 dwarves each, furnished 100 of them, but I did not designate as bedrooms. 

I also made "rest" stops about every 20z: Has 2x2 Prepared Food, 2x3 Drinks, 2 Chair/Tables, 3 Beds each.

I have hatch access to each cavern later, but only breached into Cavern 2 because it has water.

No attacks are coming, some Kobolds always get spotted and run away. 

I have all these cage traps, with no goblins to torment.  Boring!

So I may re-start again, but go crazy military, and use same Lavish Meals wealth generation.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40490 on: March 23, 2015, 03:17:52 pm »

Starting over again, afyer this save kept crashing. Conplete ctd. Now going to Try and settle by a necromancer tower.

thats just it. I'm not building anything outside. 

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40491 on: March 23, 2015, 07:17:33 pm »

I've got a raven neck that has been biting anyone who comes knocking at the door for a year now. Only in DF would this occur.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #40492 on: March 23, 2015, 07:38:04 pm »

Well having an epic level spoonful of necrotic burning !!Fun!!. I was keeping track of a forgotten beast with that ever dangerous "Beware it's fire" tag roaming the underground until it escaped into an area I hadn't yet explored. Nothing happened for a few weeks so I sent my military to clear out a bunch of above ground pests so my workers could bring the various corpses from the necromancer proof corpse cavern to the corpse disposal bridge.

Unfortunately the one eyed alligator monster that shoots dozens of fireballs in a circle of death and destruction choose that moment to attack, my population has gone down by about 40 dwarves, mostly useless children so far, and the forgotten beast is burning everything in sight. However this is not the main issue, my people are jaded beyond belief due to my corpse storage room that I use to combat the necromancer threat. The issue is that in it's pyromaniac glee it set the storage level of my fortress on fire, this burned all my wooden cages and has released all the undead I've been working to dispose of. The sight of the military who can't navigate through the smoke desperately trying to defend everyone who's evacuating to the safe zone outside the fortress, particularly the recruit who went back for the book keeper only to get ripped apart by a group of undead dwarves, is kinda gut wrenching.

I rarely feel bad when my dwarves perish but this time I kinda do because its on me not there own stupidity for once.

On that note just... so much fantastic heroism on the part of my military and civilians. Just now I caught a report of a random planter stabbing the forgotten beast in the face with an entire stack of dragon bone arrows. Dogs ripping it's limbs to bits as much as they can even if there getting there skulls smashed in moments. A fisher dwarf firing on a bunch of undead severed heads to save a child that as far as I can tell he isn't even related to. A wrestler beating the crap out of a corpse that was most likely one of his own friends before it was reanimated even as it ruptured several of his organs.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 07:53:24 pm by xana55 »
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40493 on: March 23, 2015, 10:39:58 pm »

Staddat Fanumimap, Law-Giver Vampire has arrived to my Fortress. A "Human" Diplomat from Ropeanthath.

I checked on him in Legends and he has 705(!) kills, partly from a long career of Generalship for the Patterned Confederation and partly for being a hungry vampire.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 02:45:15 am by Jefthefirst »
I just atom smashed 30 children.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40494 on: March 24, 2015, 12:00:57 am »

Got rid of all grazer and bird pets to gain some fps.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40495 on: March 24, 2015, 04:56:11 am »

No treeforts? Sadface.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40496 on: March 24, 2015, 06:38:28 am »

As said before, I haven't been playing for a while... and I may have forgotten or misremembered a few things.
I always thought, a wooden magma-pump-stack would be fine as long as the magma doesn't cover the pump tiles. They aren't fine. Not at all. But in my defense: Seeing 15 pumps go up in flames almost simultaneously is rather spectacular. No true Fun happened, though. The wooden doors that stopped the magma from flooding the stockpiles are as good as new. DF physics are a most curious thing.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40497 on: March 24, 2015, 10:26:28 am »

He means that he's dumping all his shit (grown wooden piccolos, Xpig tail fiber socksX, and the rest) on the caravan.

Hence garbage train. At one point in your fort it's half the point of caraans.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40498 on: March 24, 2015, 10:44:07 am »

I noticed the goblin civ were at war with only my civ.
And they didn't come this year.
Last year they sent only trolls and human recruits.

I don't think they ran out of soldiers because there were ten thousands goblins last time I checked.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40499 on: March 24, 2015, 12:14:52 pm »

Apparently goblin-only sieges are a thing of the past. Now it's all multiracial sieges and it's confusing.

"A vile force of darkness has arrived !" Wait, HUMANS ? wtf ?

I can't have a race to simply hate and call evil and brutally kill with traps/military anymore.

Well, there's still kobolds. But they tend to be absolutely harmless in DF2014, so the hate is getting weaker.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 12:16:25 pm by Naryar »
Pages: 1 ... 2698 2699 [2700] 2701 2702 ... 3842