Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2697 2698 [2699] 2700 2701 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111411 times)

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40470 on: March 22, 2015, 06:08:52 pm »

Oh yeah, what's the diffrence? I am pretty new so I have been making bucklers just.....well...because I can.  :D
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #40471 on: March 22, 2015, 06:36:01 pm »

Shields have a higher block rate than bucklers. Bucklers are lighter than shields though, so less encumbrance and overall quicker military dwarfs. But you could just as well make shields out of light material like wood, so the difference in weight is next to meaningless. Metal shields would be better for bashing due to higher weight, so a metal buckler could be a good all around choice for defense, offense, and speed. Wood shields, or any shield instead of a buckler, would be the better pure defensive choice purely based on the block rate.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40472 on: March 22, 2015, 06:53:50 pm »

Just use strong dwarves, or don't overload them and they'll still be fast, even in full plate with a shield.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Leelas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40473 on: March 22, 2015, 07:09:15 pm »

Did shields get nerfed (or fire made way more dangerous) since the wiki article about forgotten beasts was written? The article specifically states that fire "by itself [is] not threatening if you have shields and decent shield skill." I have quality steel shields for the vast majority of my dwarfs, and they've been training their shield skills for years now, and yet all the killer snail-bunny has to do is turn its attention towards one of them and that dwarf is toast in more ways than one. And it gets worse - once the smoke obscures the beast itself, all dwarfs not present determine that it's unreachable, and stop moving towards the area of battle. As for the dwarfs that ARE present, they suddenly find themselves unable to target it and can only frantically dodge, all while burning to death, of course. Once they (and every other dwarf within range) succumb to the flames, the beast begins to limp away, trailing blood, before returning and starting the whole damn vicious cycle all over again.

My last post said, one axe lord. Up that to one axelord, one spearmaster, and one macedwarf. And the last two were part of the party that was supposed to be finishing it off. While its head was half melted away, its legs were broken in multiple areas, and every single part of its body is virtually pulverized. It's still not dead yet.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40474 on: March 22, 2015, 07:25:13 pm »

I wrote that. I meant as in direct fire breath is harmless to dwarves which have a shield and enough shield user.

Though when the fire breath sets fire to all the cave grass tiles next to your dwarf, yes it is another matter.

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40475 on: March 22, 2015, 11:09:11 pm »

A Shelled Anaconda with paralyzing/blistering dust spawned in my third cavern layer. It wiped out most of my Cavern squad (7 dwarves) including several master sword/axe dwarves all in full iron. Damned dust...

On the bright side we struck adamantine near my magma forges/smelters and mined quite a lot of it without any *FUN* happening. I also managed to cage some Elk Birds (2f 1m) so hopefully soon I'll be able to set up a breeding program.
I just atom smashed 30 children.

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40476 on: March 23, 2015, 12:31:26 am »

Lancefair settled down on a haunted rocky badlands seven years ago,

The near-constant rain of revolting ooze took a toll on morale, but we mainly hide inside. The settlement has been limited to 40, and much of their work is on capturing and taming wildlife.

We have plenty of tame 2-hump camels now, but they require sizable pastures of cave moss. The elk birds are almost nearly tame, but they have the odd problem of almost starving themselves sitting on a nest box while the eggs incubate. I've had one or two of them die right after the eggs hatched.

Crundle training was going ok until the only female reverted to wild and got killed by the military. Waiting for more to land in the traps. I have a full roost of Barn Owls, because why not. They stuff easily into cages. Only one VCC and one helmet snake, no breeding there yet. The two initial dogs have bred like mad and I now have over 60. This is AFTER modding them to take two years to reach maturity.

The elves have been moderately useful, brining me a breeding pair of amradillos, honey badgers and white-handed gibbons; also leopards, which just had the first set of cubs. Also random things like cougars, bilous, dingos, sloth bears, hornbills, and other stuff. I really wish I could get another eagle and breed those.

Also, cave crocodiles. One murdered three of my dwarves early on, and I want to tame them for revenge fun.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40477 on: March 23, 2015, 01:37:59 am »

Starting over again, afyer this save kept crashing. Conplete ctd. Now going to Try and settle by a necromancer tower.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40478 on: March 23, 2015, 02:11:55 am »

Report from the frontier. The incompetence of the expedition became clear to the Mountainhome when the caravan arrived and found seven dwarves camped around in a wooden tower carving wooden crafts to try and convince the caravan to give up an anvil, and booze in exchange for their wooden figurines. When asked what they were doing they responded that they'd simply not brought an anvil, and a werebeast had killed all of their livestock.

Finally after the shame of living like elves for a year, the dwarves could strike the earth and move underground.

damnit,urist,youhadonejob

• Bay Watcher
  • ugh don't build your self on that side of the wall
    • View Profile
« Reply #40479 on: March 23, 2015, 03:43:31 am »

first year in, 20 dwarfs strong. i settled in a volcano, have my magma furnaces up by winter with enough metal and stone to start making steel. when i get the message, "a vile force of darkness" right off the bat i lose my glass maker to a bolt in the leg. for the good of the fortress i wall him outside in the smelting area ( i floored over the lava in the volcano). I forgot invaders climb so they are now in my area wandering around after finishing off the dwarf named shem.

My dwarfs are bored, so will the five cross bow goblins climb out and leave? or are they stuck there until they starve(can they starve?) or i kill them? i have no wood so i kind of need that area.

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40480 on: March 23, 2015, 04:44:54 am »

Thunenmosus "Liferooms" vanilla 40.24

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 05:01:53 am by Jefthefirst »
I just atom smashed 30 children.

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40481 on: March 23, 2015, 04:46:52 am »

My chief medical officer had a mood and made a legendary coffin.

Does he know something I don't? o_0

GiantCaveMushroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Born Pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40482 on: March 23, 2015, 05:10:43 am »

The Broker/Record Keeper/Engraver/Former Expedition Leader has decided to trade with the humans while wearing no clothes. I can only imagine the humans focusing their eye on the goods they are trading over the unclothed drunk making the offers.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40483 on: March 23, 2015, 05:11:27 am »

[snip] My dwarfs are bored, so will the five cross bow goblins climb out and leave? or are they stuck there until they starve(can they starve?) or i kill them? i have no wood so i kind of need that area.
Goblins have no need to eat, the cheating bastards, so they won't starve. You're stuck with them until either they get bored and leave, or the're made to taste dwarven steel (or whatever else is on hand)

Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40484 on: March 23, 2015, 08:42:26 am »

Started playing again after more than a year... all the new stuff is really awesome, but some things never change. Like bloody keas. I hadn't even moved my workshops underground when they arrived. They stole a masterwork wooden corkscrew and the (already slightly annoyed) carpenter/doctor threw a tantrum, injuring the fort's only capable farmer by throwing a barrel at him. But he stitched him up just fine when he calmed down, so everything's alright now.

Also 2 newly-appointed soldiers tried to fight with the keas and tried to use their questionable dodging skills... both dropped down 10 levels through the middle of the main spiral ramp. Interestingly, one survived a few more days as a pile of broken bones, bruised organs and blood. I guess, some would build these spirals with a central core instead of a hole for everyone to fall in, but where's the Fun in that?
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!
Pages: 1 ... 2697 2698 [2699] 2700 2701 ... 3842