Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2693 2694 [2695] 2696 2697 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111667 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40410 on: March 19, 2015, 07:31:26 am »

Another winter. My dorfs finally managed to dug the stupid hunter's corpse out of the ice.
At the same time, the first goblin siege came. There were only one squad, so it was not a problem.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40411 on: March 19, 2015, 08:42:24 am »

The recent fort I started 2 night ago just died from a nerco siege by the 2nd spring. 
It was totally unexpected to have 12 elf corpse, 8 human corpses, and 8 goblin corpses, with probably some hidden necro that I was not able to see.

Looking back in what I was doing, I started on a larger above ground walls foot print of 20x30ish, instead of my usual 13x13. 
I think that because this was a heavily wooded area, I could get up 2-z walls sooner.

Unfortunately, I also decided to get 2 military founders training sooner. 
And at the same time, I was progressing to breach the 2 layer aquifer.

Despite having the Herbalist handle all the food and drink needs, the focus to breaching the aquifer seems to get time to move faster from manually un-.suspending the build wall-that my above ground walls were not completed.

Anyway, I may actually play this world again.  There was an inland Terrifying lake/ocean next to an untamed wild thick forest, with a minor river, and that is 2 region tiles south from the necro tower.  Time to hatch a better plan this time:

Obviously, I don't think I can field the military power by the 2nd spring.
So I should focus on the securing fortress access from above ground.
Cage Traps would be limited to the amount of stone I embark with because breaching aquifer will takes some time.

33 stones = for 1 lever linked bridge; and 30 mechanism for 30 cage traps.

1. Miner+5, Teacher+5 (future commander)

2 & 3. Carpenter+3/Mason+3/Mechanic+3/Discipline+1 seems to be the perfect dwarf skills to handle the screw pump assembly, and then walling the aquifer breach.
Mechanic to build screw pumps, carpenter to build walls and floors using logs, mason for deconstructing.
And this should help speed up above ground walls as I build a 30-ish long hallway leading to 3x3 bridge with cagetraps underneath, and 1-tile path exist full of traps back to said hallway.

4. Herbalist+5, Cook+5
5. Carpenter+5 + Manager + Social
6. Mechanic+5 / Broker + Social
7. Mason+5 / +Doctor

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40412 on: March 19, 2015, 10:27:05 am »

I moved all bedrooms to the surface because of the retire/submerge bug.
Now my fort is actually a human style town.

Edit*
Oh, I left those nobles' rooms underground, hehe.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 10:33:39 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40413 on: March 19, 2015, 10:35:23 am »

i have had a queen in the first months of the fort. so now everyone is part of her court. Surprisingly, no thoughts about having a horribly substandard bedrooom (and others), but she was unhappy due to no chairs.

and now i am carving a grand palace out of the mountain... something moria style. I'll post it here when I'll be done.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40414 on: March 19, 2015, 10:55:00 am »

Can't wait Naryar! Oh and my trap hall is under renovations after the tigermen left. Ugh human seige! YES! Now I just have to beat them.
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #40415 on: March 19, 2015, 02:45:19 pm »

I'm breaching hell now, wish me luck...

The sacrifice has broken the seal. The spikes are ready. Blood shall flow.

WHAT? THEY'RE NOT GOING FOR THE SPIRE? RETRY

Working much better this time, the sacrifice and the humans lured them into the trap, 15 died before they got away. Many more demons are injured. I wish I had put the cages separately so I could release one human at a time. Also, a crossbowman managed to make it out the edge of the underworld, wow.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40416 on: March 19, 2015, 05:30:15 pm »

My metalsmith has been way too smug after mooding that zinc table few years ago.

This is a masterful gold statue of Zefon Mansionring created by Zefon Mansionring. 
The item is a masterfully designed  image of Zefon Mansionring the dwarf and a gold statue in gold by Zefon Mansionring.  Zefon Mansionring is  raising the gold statue.  The artwork relates to the masterful gold statue created by the dwarf Zefon Mansionring for The True Hammers at Moonpalace in the late autumn of 505.

We get it, Zefon, we get it. Now where you'd like us to put it? To your own quarters, as usual?
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40417 on: March 19, 2015, 06:06:44 pm »

My metalsmith has been way too smug after mooding that zinc table few years ago.

This is a masterful gold statue of Zefon Mansionring created by Zefon Mansionring. 
The item is a masterfully designed  image of Zefon Mansionring the dwarf and a gold statue in gold by Zefon Mansionring.  Zefon Mansionring is  raising the gold statue.  The artwork relates to the masterful gold statue created by the dwarf Zefon Mansionring for The True Hammers at Moonpalace in the late autumn of 505.

We get it, Zefon, we get it. Now where you'd like us to put it? To your own quarters, as usual?

Holy, that's almost as bad as my engraver doing an engraving of him engraving an engraving.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40418 on: March 19, 2015, 06:13:57 pm »

Man!! My best/fovoright everything to do with metal guy just burnt to a crisp while tryin to pump magma. Dang it.
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40419 on: March 19, 2015, 06:18:58 pm »

Man!! My best/favorite everything to do with metal guy just burnt to a crisp while tryin to pump magma. Dang it.

This is why you have lye makers work magma pumps. No metalworkers. Even furnace operators are more valuable than lye makers. Or fish dissectors. Those guys are pretty worthless too.

DeusTempestas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40420 on: March 19, 2015, 06:22:54 pm »

I lost 3 dwarves to "dehydration" in spite of having 2 wells, two rivers, and over 200 in drink... Vampire >:(

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40421 on: March 19, 2015, 06:24:26 pm »

I lost 3 dwarves to "dehydration" in spite of having 2 wells, two rivers, and over 200 in drink... Vampire >:(

That wouldn't be a vampire. They most likely injured the motor nerves in both hands, lost both hands/arms, or were locked up somewhere weird.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

DeusTempestas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40422 on: March 19, 2015, 06:28:40 pm »

That wouldn't be a vampire. They most likely injured the motor nerves in both hands, lost both hands/arms, or were locked up somewhere weird.

only second year, no attacks, how would they get injured? Engraving isn't that dangerous is it?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 06:32:24 pm by DeusTempestas »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #40423 on: March 19, 2015, 06:36:37 pm »

If it was a vampire the death report would say they were found "drained of blood" rather than "dehydrated".
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40424 on: March 19, 2015, 06:39:28 pm »

only second year, no attacks, how would they get injured? Engraving isn't that dangerous is it?

Accidents and snapping wildlife that went unnoticed possibly. I once had to mercy kill a dwarf who lost the use of both hands in an animal training accident, one that had happened and I didn't even notice. Turns out jabberers shouldn't be left to roam around with only one tamer available. I thought she was fine because she got along fine for months thanks to generous dorfs being strangely abundant in that fort when suddenly I got a spam of "too injured to clean my foot" messages.

-

Returning to the dwemer, my soldiers began exploring the cave. So far they've found plentiful corundum (an ingredient in Elder Scrolls steel if I'm not mistaken,) moonstone, malachite (of the not-copper variety,) signs of ebony ore, and... Realizing I may have accidentally displaced a bandit crew or army. As in the caverns they found a wrestler and a chieftan. Not good, but I'm going to try to take down the wrestler with task manager at the ready in case things go badly (I can't afford to lose the merpower this soon.)
Pages: 1 ... 2693 2694 [2695] 2696 2697 ... 3842