Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2684 2685 [2686] 2687 2688 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112417 times)

SirAero8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40275 on: March 11, 2015, 07:07:49 pm »

Embarked in a Terrifying area and expected the worst, but everything seemed pretty calm. It started raining acrid ooze, which worried me at first but it got on a few of my dwarves and they just washed it off and seem fine now. I keep seeing splatterings of their blood, but they have no signs of injury or any effects. I should probably be glad, but this worries me.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40276 on: March 11, 2015, 08:20:03 pm »

Two forgotten beasts showed up on two different levels of the caverns. One has deadly dust and promptly disarmed itself (really - it's missing both hands), the other was a firespitting bird (quetzal or somesuch). It eventually found its way through the cistern to the well-house. No-one was inside and it prompty got stuck against the door and patiently waited until the military was done sleeping and showed up to hammer it apart. One actually fell unconscious from exhaustion during the fight, but the beast was apparently out of fire to spit.

The two mopeydwarfs are still mopey. Mrs. Tantrumpants has taken apart about five thrones so far. And we finally have a baroness, who likes ... coffins.

SirAero8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40277 on: March 11, 2015, 08:48:12 pm »

Well, turns out that the acrid ooze does nothing but makes my dwarves upset about being in freakish weather. Strangely disappointing. Maybe if I wait long enough some pond turtles will turn into pond turtle men from the acrid ooze and will go into the caves to train under a giant rat.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40278 on: March 11, 2015, 09:55:11 pm »

The Ugly Raunch comes, a towering tarantula composed of snow! In a savanna, now. The troops went out with their new adamantine weapons and punched it to death. I guess they didn't want to tarnish the shine on them just yet.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #40279 on: March 11, 2015, 10:18:55 pm »

I just got a leech with deadly blood. Seeing how it's got deadly blood, I sent my two macedwarves to destroy it, who bashed it so hard its entire body collapsed. The macedwarf with the artifact gold mace got the kill on it, which I'm really happy for. I can't get sieges in this fort so i'm going to try and kill as many forgotten beasts as I can.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #40280 on: March 11, 2015, 10:41:20 pm »

I tried to move a necromancer to the execution chamber... forgot to clean the execution chamber first. Not one of my finer moments. Outbreak aside though things are handled.
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40281 on: March 11, 2015, 10:45:48 pm »

Got a siege from all four sides - a ton of goblins riding giant rats, along with a pack of cave dragons. They mostly ignored my bait animals with traps, but I did capture one cave dragon.

Tried to recall my dwarves on station inside the fortress to let the invasion run the trap gauntlet, but one guy went all Leroy Jenkins, so I had to send both squads. In the subsequent bloodbath I lost one dwarf, but a ton of invaders were murdered. Blood and parts EVERYWHERE.

During this excitement, a forgotten beast spawned inside the caverns. He spawned inside a place I had walled off, so I figured I was OK to ignore him. Oops; he could fly. Next I know he's in my living quarters on a rampage. My decision to start arming (and armoring) my civilians worked well - a random blacksmith came by and lopped off the FB's head in one shot. I think I'll upgrade the furniture in that guys' quarter.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40282 on: March 11, 2015, 10:58:28 pm »

Got a nickel silver mantis with noxious fumes. Thought "hey, nickel silver isn't tough!" So I only sent the rookie squad, so they could get some training in. Tested out the noxious fumes quickly. Just some dizziness. Guy simply fell over. He should get up, right?... Come on man, get up... Oh, Armok, he's paralyzed! I tested this out a second time, this dwarf had a dog and lion attached to him. Yep, paralysis. Retreated everyone, but one guy dropped from exhaustion in the door before the gates. I began shooting the ballistae that shoots towards where the forgotten beast would come from. Iron bolts. He took them with mere chips. Then, my steel battleaxe and pickaze armed militia commander wanders by. Not really sure why, but he drew his weapons, lopped off the arms, a leg, then the head. Yep...

The moral of the story: don't have rookies fight forgotten beasts.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40283 on: March 12, 2015, 02:16:16 am »

Got a nickel silver mantis with noxious fumes. Thought "hey, nickel silver isn't tough!" So I only sent the rookie squad, so they could get some training in. Tested out the noxious fumes quickly. Just some dizziness. Guy simply fell over. He should get up, right?... Come on man, get up... Oh, Armok, he's paralyzed! I tested this out a second time, this dwarf had a dog and lion attached to him. Yep, paralysis. Retreated everyone, but one guy dropped from exhaustion in the door before the gates. I began shooting the ballistae that shoots towards where the forgotten beast would come from. Iron bolts. He took them with mere chips. Then, my steel battleaxe and pickaze armed militia commander wanders by. Not really sure why, but he drew his weapons, lopped off the arms, a leg, then the head. Yep...

The moral of the story: don't have rookies fight forgotten beasts.

That depends of the forgotten beast, really.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40284 on: March 12, 2015, 02:22:11 am »

Unicorn bones made the fortress rich. Maybe I don't need to sell lavish meals this time, I can offer them all to the mountainhome.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40285 on: March 12, 2015, 03:54:50 am »

Embarking for the first time on a mountain. Currently trying to find alternatives for food and drink considering I always relied on plump helmets for both. I think they managed an entire season without eating though, so as long as I buy enough from caravans, things should be alright.

Considering building a sky city out of platforms (walls) of stone. As long as they don't dehydrate/ starve to death, it should be a fun experiment.

Herbalist right now are borderline broken when it comes to gathering plants.  I think plants still grow in a mountain biome.

They do actually! Huh. Hopefully there's something that can be made into alcohol. Maybe a nice dog farm can help too.
Sure. If you are unable to find any brewable plants out there then just farm dogs and make them into alcohol. We must have our booze!
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40286 on: March 12, 2015, 04:49:44 am »

Embarking for the first time on a mountain. Currently trying to find alternatives for food and drink considering I always relied on plump helmets for both. I think they managed an entire season without eating though, so as long as I buy enough from caravans, things should be alright.

Considering building a sky city out of platforms (walls) of stone. As long as they don't dehydrate/ starve to death, it should be a fun experiment.

Herbalist right now are borderline broken when it comes to gathering plants.  I think plants still grow in a mountain biome.

They do actually! Huh. Hopefully there's something that can be made into alcohol. Maybe a nice dog farm can help too.
Sure. If you are unable to find any brewable plants out there then just farm dogs and make them into alcohol. We must have our booze!
If livers can process alcohol, surely they can be processed into alcohol.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40287 on: March 12, 2015, 05:54:34 am »

The mayor got a mood, and since she was still haggard, it went fell. I forbade all leatherworks, but didn't realise those shitty moods can also claim tanneries. Savescum time. That time, the next dwarf struck by a mood was the metalsmith with maximum skill in armoury. I'm not too impressed with the aluminium buckler, but a legendary armourer? I'll take it.

Annnnnnnd at long last, the mayor and the problematic engraver went from "haggard" to "stressed". I waited a bit before releasing the engraver, but she's the one legendary engraver and she can get much more happiness by being free and adorning the fortress. Seems that the mayor's (cheated away) fell mood was in fact a token "screw you" by the game, she must've been mere days from recovering enough that she could no longer go fell.

So, result for 0.40.24: stress can be removed, even "haggard" state. The latter sometimes requires locking up dwarfs so they don't murder the rest of the fort in their fits of rage, and it takes years and years. Whether it's worth the effort is up to you.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40288 on: March 12, 2015, 06:24:06 am »

Increased pop limit by 10 and strict limit by another 10. I expected the barons of fortresses that aren't actually possessed by Iton Asdug anymore to come looking for refuge. I only got 5, all with pretty good skillsets and combat experience, but the best of all was the High Master Surgeon and Wound Dresser. All that kept me from conscripting my current best was his medical skills, because he's got great skills and traits for military. So I promoted one of my elites to captain of a new unit, bumped one member up from each squad to fill the opening, and filled a squad with fresh recruits.

This teacher is outstanding; I haven't seen anyone bring up skills this fast. The other units took half a year to progress past recruit and wrestler, within 1 1/2 months he's already got 2 marksmen, swordsman, spearman and maceman. I had passed him over for promotion because I didn't want him teaching mace; that he learned it at all was an oddity because I didn't provide anything mace-like to train it with and wanted everyone to train hammer instead. But this is a nice mix, and they've already got the skills to progress to leather and real weapons.

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40289 on: March 12, 2015, 08:41:38 am »

Just lost my fortress to the Nemesis Unit  :'(
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.
Pages: 1 ... 2684 2685 [2686] 2687 2688 ... 3842