Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2682 2683 [2684] 2685 2686 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112706 times)

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40245 on: March 09, 2015, 08:50:46 pm »

I just had a beast with hunger for warm blood kill two dwarves and an unowned cat. A third dwarf would have died, but the beast knocked him into unconscious into a cage trap so I got lucky there. What sucks is that it was a presser who landed in there, instead of my prized mechanic.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40246 on: March 10, 2015, 12:16:50 am »

I saw a giant jumping spider for the first time, a harmless one.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #40247 on: March 10, 2015, 09:59:09 am »

I've been thinking about building a wild troll breeding center that I can use as target practice later, but I'm not sure it it's a good idea.

I just got a breeding pair of blind cave ogres. blind cave ogres are a lot bigger, which means their children should last longer as archery targets. Right now containment and isolation are the main problems. I think I'm going to keep them seperated in a room via a raising drawbridge, and create a corridor leading to the main fort. The corridor is filled with cage traps and I have a few tables at the end of the corridor to encourage pathing there.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 11:52:13 am by PDF urist master »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #40248 on: March 10, 2015, 02:00:34 pm »

I've been thinking about building a wild troll breeding center that I can use as target practice later, but I'm not sure it it's a good idea.

I just got a breeding pair of blind cave ogres. blind cave ogres are a lot bigger, which means their children should last longer as archery targets.
I love this. This is so dorfy. The first line implies you'll let the animals breed and mature before using them as archery targets.

The second line pulls a sucker punch and reveals you were planning to shoot at newborn children the whole time.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

SirAero8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40249 on: March 10, 2015, 05:48:35 pm »

I'm still a pretty big noob in Dwarf Fortress, the longest one of my fortresses has lasted is 5 years, and by then my ten remaining dwarves were too upset about everyone dying after two forgotten beast attacks. The first one was a giant insectish creature, named Tunmos, that had ice dust. I sent my ragtag military to attack it. They got some good hits on his legs but were blasted into a wall and started rotting and swelling. All my dwarves rushed down to get their stuff too fast for me to realize and they got blasted around and torn apart by the beasts large mandibles. My remaining 40 or so dwarves rushed the survivors into the "hospital" (small room with 4 beds), somehow sneaking past the beast. I checked on the hospital to find that my rotting, swelling dwarves were piled into the corners of the room on top of eachother, including 2 of my military members who somehow survived. I checked the unit menu to see my dwarf count, but I saw that the other creatures section had one less creature than before, I checked it and saw that Tunmos had died! I immediately checked the combat log and apparently the corpses of the dwarves Tunmos killed fell down on him, breaking his bones and the last one smashing his head. The way I imagine it, Tunmos tried to hit a dwarf with his ice dust, and ended up blasting the corpses into the air, and they all fell down on him and buried him. After that, my dwarves tried to get the injured people water but it was winter, so no luck there. Then Bax came, a one-eyed dimetrodon with wings. It seemed pretty weak, because it was having a hard time fighting a troglodyte. I sent two dwarves to kill him, but they both got wrecked, so I decided to just wall off the entrance to the caves. I got a message a bit later, "Urist Mcdwarf cancels Construct Building, Interrupted by Forgotten Beast. Bax then began to massacre my surviving capable dwarves, and I sent a strong dwarf with a hammer to stop him. This dwarf got his arm torn off right away and Bax then picked up his hammer and smashed him to bits with it. After all my standing dwarves were dead, the ones in the hospital died of dehydration. I sent in a group of armed and armored dwarves to take care of Bax, and they were slaughtered as well. As the last dwarf was fighting Bax, I checked Bax in the unit menu and found that he has several weapons strapped to his body. Well, I give up on trying to defeat Bax. I'm pretty sure he's adapting and gaining weaponry to take over the world.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40250 on: March 10, 2015, 07:48:04 pm »

Lokumrutod "Speardash"
- aboveground fort
- no walls/bridges(except the garbage smasher)
- no traps
- small military(up to 5 active militia members)

Just past the first, uneventful year. Don't worry, this world has no megabeasts.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #40251 on: March 10, 2015, 08:44:28 pm »

ogre breeding project is still underway, but I haven't gotten any yet. these guys take 10 years to mature and die at age 20, which means the longevity of this project may be low.

I just had a crundle assault a brewer today. the crundle kept biting him until the brewer got enraged, grab the crundle by the right arm, bent it back and then collapsed its head with one solid left hook.

The reoccurring gremlin met its end today. I started a second melee squad close to the entrance of the carverns for rapid access and a gremlin showed up during training. Needless to say they got some pretty good live training today.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40252 on: March 11, 2015, 12:17:08 am »

I built some workshops on the trees. Maybe I can move the entire fortress there?

A group of Gray Langur attacked the human caravan and drove them away... no extra beer this year.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 12:29:03 am by utunnels »

Gregor Samsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40253 on: March 11, 2015, 04:47:50 am »

Live training for most of my standing army of 70 dwarves against 133 armed enemies (goblin/troll) all locked in a small room plus some stupid kids who don't know what's good for them.

So here we have a legendary Macedwarf armed with the Artifact steel mace Dogikasmel the Tactic of Confusing.
And what does he choose to do? Right:
1st: break every bone in enemy's body with 10 mace blows and one kick.
2nd: deliver killing strike to head with fingernail!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40254 on: March 11, 2015, 07:14:46 am »

Another dwarf has made it out of "stressed" state. Hooray!

The two "haggard" dwarfs are still stuck moping around. The main problem is that one of them, the legendary engraver, is tantrum-prone, which with the super-broken tantrums of 0.40.15+ means she must be kept locked up or she'll cost us ten dwarfs per year. Unfortunately, she keeps scheduling meetings with the mayor and it seems that no meetings can be had before the first in the queue is cleared up, and a meeting that fails for lack of path isn't taken off the list. Only replacing the mayor (by election or manually) properly cancels the topmost meeting and allows the next one to take place.

An ettin showed up and was killed by the militia. It took quite a while because the three of them use blunt weapons only, which work very poorly against such large creatures - they break bones just fine, but can't harm the vital organs.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40255 on: March 11, 2015, 07:58:49 am »

Minted some coins and found my civ had a human as its general in 435.
 ::)

Ah, a group of unicorns. Maybe they are harmless in this version, I'd better leave them alone. My dorfs killed them anyway. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 08:12:38 am by utunnels »

Casei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40256 on: March 11, 2015, 12:10:20 pm »

My captured Werelizard went into a Fey mood, so I had to build him a craftsdwarf workshop and stock it with some wood to keep him from bogging my FPS down to 6. Finally, construction is finished and we allow the Werelizard out. As planned, he claims the workshop and gets to work. We wall him in while he's paying attention to his masterpiece, and sit back to await his epic product.

In the middle of his artifact creation, he started looking a little less dwarfy and a little more lizardy. I was worried that he'd destroy the workshop, but no, he finished the artifact, and THEN promptly destroyed the workshop.

He made a fungiwood bracelet that menaces with spikes of fungiwood, without any other designs or features - the kind of bland thing that would appeal to a creature of the night.

(As a side note, this werelizard doesn't like biting victims - but it LOVES hitting people with mittens and cloaks - when he was discovered in the Statue Garden there was page upon page in the combat log of him bruising people with mittens.)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #40257 on: March 11, 2015, 12:17:59 pm »

galena smelting has begun
my fort will be covered in silver statues, lead furniture, and gleaming silver guards
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40258 on: March 11, 2015, 12:24:39 pm »

My queen is a clothier who dreams of mastering a skill, and was already pretty far along. So I set up a clothier in her parlor, profiled to her. Then I thought she might want to learn the other clothiery skills, so I set up a loom and dyers, too. Then I realized that's not a parlor, that's a sweatshop. I'm making the queen produce silks for everyone without pay.

Well, not totally without pay; she does have all the coins produced here, stacked in her bedroom.

Girubev

• Bay Watcher
  • You can talk to yourself; just win the argument...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40259 on: March 11, 2015, 01:10:58 pm »

I just got incredibly lucky concerning a werebeast. My miner happened to be in the area and severed his neck, but not before the werechameleon got a bite on the upper arm, bruising the muscle through the pig tail fiber coat. Well one month later, no transformation. Happy me! That brings up the question though: is the werebeast curse transmitted only when blood is drawn?
Oh great, a Teddy Roosevelt Demon who can ban dwarves.
Just what you needed.
Pages: 1 ... 2682 2683 [2684] 2685 2686 ... 3842