Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2675 2676 [2677] 2678 2679 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121306 times)

InfinityOps

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40140 on: March 04, 2015, 04:05:45 pm »

My current fortress nested in a volcano, "Woodensyrup", was recently attacked by a hill titan.

A fire-breathing giant swallow with mandibles. I managed to wall off the entrance just in time, so the thing just camped right outside for months. Well, after it burned the plains below to a crisp.

Eventually, I decided to dispose of the beast via a typical cave-in trap. After finally managing to lure it in, I realized I forgot to set up a burrow to keep my Dwarves out of there.

*shrug*

I pull the switch and spring the trap. At least a dozen or so Dwarves died down there. The trap gored or otherwise broke every single part of the titan's body, but it SURVIVED. Furthermore, all of its fat was gone, so I'm dealing with a fire-breathing mandibled monster stripped to the bone. I send my military to dispose of the horror.

After a fight (and a lot of smoke inhalation), the beast is killed. Twas a legendary battle that proved the strength of both Dwarves and nature.
“It’s not about hating a guy on the other side because someone told you to. I mean, you should hate someone because they’re an asshole, or a pervert, or snob, or they’re lazy, or arrogant or an idiot or know-it-all. Those are reasons to dislike somebody. You don’t hate a person because someone told you to. You have to learn to despise people on a personal level."

Rammok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40141 on: March 04, 2015, 04:28:34 pm »

My caverns are filled with undead zombies sprouting tentacles, led by a Chasm (whatever that is)

And they can ressurect eachother.

Now there are 60 corpses. How am i gonna clear that out

Chasm Aboleths. Welcome to the Dark Ages.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #40142 on: March 04, 2015, 04:34:20 pm »

Spoiler: HFS (click to show/hide)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40143 on: March 04, 2015, 08:22:51 pm »

Another forlorn ghost. Fortunately I still had a stone, because I could find his body anymore, maybe the dorfs carried it into the atomsmasher room.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40144 on: March 04, 2015, 09:22:30 pm »

Enabled invaders in mid-spring. In early winter, a pair of kobolds showed up. We're thankfull for them pointing out that the magmacannon wasn't properly configured yet (access tunnels from the building phase meant it had zero target containment).

The goblin civ hasn't budged yet. At 20 FPS, we're quite tempted to go and magmafy the human caravan next year to test the cannon if no worthier targets show up.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40145 on: March 05, 2015, 12:34:25 am »

The outpost liaison came.

"Many years ago we had a new queen."
"Months ago, your expedition leader died and you got a new one. Well, that is you."
"A week ago we had a new king."

The caravan didn't even bother to bring wagons. They only brought the goods I requested last year, no ropes, crafts, and other junks. Good.

My broker chopped down a tree. A dead dwarf's hand and some random animal corpses fell before him.
He was horrified seeing Deduk Foldedpaddle die.
Hey, how did you know whose hand it was.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 01:24:28 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Neo_Spade

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ginger neck-beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40146 on: March 05, 2015, 02:01:56 am »

My broker chopped down a tree. A dead dwarf's hand and some random animal corpses fell before him.
He was horrified seeing Deduk Foldedpaddle die.
Hey, how did you know whose hand it was.

In one of my forts a Dwarf died in Magma, and was identified as dead from a tooth of theirs in the sewage system below the fort from a fist-fight that had happened years before. Dwarfs man... they're psychic when they want to be.

My current fort is on a road, in a site with two other sites on it (not on the same space, but you know what I mean), my objective is to fortify and defend the main road.

I'm now already on reclaim #1 due to the last 88 strong fort dying to 10 Goblins, because everyone dumped the stuff they where carrying in the doorway to the fort, making it impossible to close behind us before the Goblins got in.

It took the dwaves a year to put all the dead to rest, and it'll take 3 years to clean up all the 20,000 logs that I cut down in the previous efforts. Also, the Goblins got away with my artifacts by the looks of it, because I can't find them anywhere...

...speaking of Goblins, The Thin Labours, my civ has had a long long looooooong line of Goblin royalty, now in a normal game this makes a bit more sense due to Goblins being Immortal, and therefore able to actually get insane social skills, right? (I'd assume this is why), however I've modded them to reach adulthood a bit earlier, and only live to about 80 tops.

Out of wonder, do non-Dwarf Kings/Queens still behave weirdly when they join your site, or are the days of Cacame Awemedinade a thing of the past?

EDIT: typo
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 02:03:50 am by Neo_Spade »
If you've got dwarf problems, I feel bad for you, son.
I've got 99 whales because I killed Urist with one.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40147 on: March 05, 2015, 02:20:54 am »

Fairly certain they still won't work or make demands, and may or may not have some issues being assigned rooms. Not 100% certain, however.

This may change once taverns get added to the game, judging by the devlogs.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40148 on: March 05, 2015, 02:39:23 am »

An Ettin attacked, and succeded in killing a child. Then he got killed by a war dog. *facepalm*, mythical beast older than the world.

Is it just me, or are dogs more hardcore than dwarves in this edition? I also noticed that, while hunting, plain ol' dogs brought down more animals than the hunter, but there was the mitigating factor that my hunter was a pussy who kept running away after firing a bolt.
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Gregor Samsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40149 on: March 05, 2015, 02:54:10 am »

The solution is always arming your civilians to the teeth. Give them all helmets and beatings will remain non fatal.
I'm on that, actually. Leatherworker and Bone carver are working overtime. But I got over 200 civilians before I set a population cap  ???

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40150 on: March 05, 2015, 03:39:30 am »

An Ettin attacked, and succeded in killing a child. Then he got killed by a war dog. *facepalm*, mythical beast older than the world.

Semimegabeasts are weak. Hell even megabeasts aren't threatening if you have a decent defense going on.

Forgotten Beasts, however, run the gamut from hilariously weak to oh my armok it is slaughtering my legendary squad so easily why whyyy it has webs/deadly secretions/deadly dust

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40151 on: March 05, 2015, 07:25:25 am »

The fortress Towerbuck finally got the opportunity to try out the one-barrel salvo magmacannon. It works, but is susceptible to wedging when powering up/down. To really handle substantial incursions, it'd probably take multiple barrels and some more target containment architecture. The sample ten-goblin "siege" was smashed, but two goblins dodged the shots and managed to find refuge in cages; one made it to the main fort, which turned into an horrible clusterfuck, because the fort is in .40.11, where dwarfs are completely unable to attack (or even defend themselves from) a unit that has ever changed z-level. Much fun when the map is a volcano, so all military is guaranteed over 100% useless. The goblin eventually fell to some dingo or other.

Un-sticking the cannon when it wedged upon power-down was also a bit of a production, but it seems to be ready to go again.

Meanwhile in the caverns: a forgotten beast has arrived! It's a towering blob composed of steam. It attacked a hungry head (basically a flying crundle, which is basically an evil chicken). It didn't end well (for the forgotten beast).

In another "hey, it's still 40.11" moment, the duke had a demand. For a bronze bed in his throneroom. Welp, we have no dwarf liable to mood in blacksmith anyway. He'll have to take consolation in all the catapult parts and bolts produced on his orders.

PS: specs of the cannon - fake ramp loader, pump-fed, 38 impulse ramps for acceleration, carts are re-routed via rollers after the shot, which gives the shots a slight lateral bias. Uses five platinum minecarts and delivers one shot (just around splatter speed, targets that survive the shot itself tend to get dissolved in magma) per 20 steps, give or take a bit. Range without z-level advantage easily over 50 tiles. Admittedly, water is easier to acquire and handle and allows higher cadences.

Looks like this:

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 07:53:59 am by Larix »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40152 on: March 05, 2015, 08:36:03 am »

This 2x1 map has 3 biomes, it seems. I saw 3 weathers at the same time. Rain, bloody rain and snow.

wickys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40153 on: March 05, 2015, 09:02:43 am »

My caverns are filled with undead zombies sprouting tentacles, led by a Chasm (whatever that is)

And they can ressurect eachother.

Now there are 60 corpses. How am i gonna clear that out

Chasm Aboleths. Welcome to the Dark Ages.

I had to pull a BoatMurdered to purge the land of this evil. From 130 pop to 43.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #40154 on: March 05, 2015, 09:30:08 am »

I had a crundlesplosion and a cavecrocsplosion at the same time, so it took my trainers a month to train all the new babies. I've caged a lot of the animals I don't want breeding. There's also a web-spitting oriole in the second cavern running around killing crundles. Hopefully it won't realize it can get in though the well, because that might well be the end of Bastiongate. It'll probably just go to the FB trap and I can shoot it.
Pages: 1 ... 2675 2676 [2677] 2678 2679 ... 3842