Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2674 2675 [2676] 2677 2678 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121457 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40125 on: March 03, 2015, 07:46:58 pm »

"Helmsbraids" had a ghost problem after they reclaimed the fort. Fortunately there were only 17 dead. They fixed the problem quickly by setting up a line of caskets in the corridor.

For some reason my dorf refused to bury a deceased dwarven child. Everyone else from the previous fort was properly buried.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40126 on: March 03, 2015, 08:13:02 pm »

I looked for the weapon that killed Languishedhaunts, and saw it also had Githa the forgotten beast's name on it. I saw Shem lingering around the fortifications long after his station order was rescinded, and he was just leaving as I came back to set the catapult to fire at will. His kill was probably masked by one of the duchess' hunts, or someone slipping down a ramp again -- wtf is it with that ramp, anyway? So I guess this guy deserves to be our first Champion. I think I'll give him the rest of the month off. The rest of the unit will stay on alert there until everything is set up for the unit that will relieve them. They're going to be there a long time, so I'm digging them out a barracks and d-fac. Yet another delay in my greenhouse project.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40127 on: March 03, 2015, 10:11:26 pm »

Is the ramp covered by a hatch? If so, that's why.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40128 on: March 04, 2015, 01:51:08 am »

I forgot I have edited the raws so goblins came when I had only 21 dorfs.
But I got 13 elite migrants from my previous fort, thought I should be OK.
But they had only a handful of equipments. After the battle, 2 dorfs died, both were expedition leaders. One was killed, the other drowned in a pool. The last goblin bowman was thrown into the pool by a wrestler and drowned besides the former expedition leader.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Gregor Samsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40129 on: March 04, 2015, 10:00:53 am »

Countess issued a mandate while the caravan was already leaving. Now Guard and Hammerer are running around beating up half the population.

Unfortunately, the "unconscious creatures recieve all blows to the head" rule goes for the "beat criminal" job, too. My best pump operator just received three continuous blows to the head until his skull gave way.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40130 on: March 04, 2015, 10:45:17 am »

Countess issued a mandate while the caravan was already leaving. Now Guard and Hammerer are running around beating up half the population.

Unfortunately, the "unconscious creatures recieve all blows to the head" rule goes for the "beat criminal" job, too. My best pump operator just received three continuous blows to the head until his skull gave way.
Equipping your Hammerer and Fortress Guard with some crappy weapons (say, very lightweight crossbows) helps against that.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40131 on: March 04, 2015, 10:58:14 am »

Equipping your Hammerer and Fortress Guard with some crappy weapons (say, very lightweight crossbows) helps against that.
I think they prefer fists. And dorf fist can break blind cave ogre skulls (though sometimes they can't even kill a giant ibex).

Gregor Samsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40132 on: March 04, 2015, 12:29:56 pm »

as a matter of fact, the guard is not equipped with any weapons at all, but a fist or kick can easily break an unarmed dwarven skull.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40133 on: March 04, 2015, 01:21:17 pm »

The mayor is also a soldier, in the unit that was stationed down in the cavern. After witnessing all this death, she decided what would cheer her up is an olm tooth weapon rack for her dining room. So she demanded it.

How the hell do I go about providing that? Do olm even have teeth? Is the singular even the plural for olm? Would a giant olm be sufficient, and if it were, who can make a weapon rack from its teeth?

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40134 on: March 04, 2015, 01:25:40 pm »

Use a wood crossbow. Beatings will stay non lethal then.

Tissue raws are so broken now that punches and kicks can smash skulls without damaging the fists or feet themselves. Hopefully this will change, but for now we have to put up with it.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Gregor Samsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40135 on: March 04, 2015, 01:30:36 pm »

I've read the crossbow advice before, but didn't realise that it does less damage than a fist. I will try.

Gregor Samsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40136 on: March 04, 2015, 02:55:22 pm »

I've read the crossbow advice before, but didn't realise that it does less damage than a fist. I will try.
I've been blessed with a legendary willow blowgun just now. On it is an image of my legendary dog bone puzzlebox in gold.
I shall equip that to the head of palace guard and see how it goes.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40137 on: March 04, 2015, 03:03:19 pm »

Yeah, I've already done that, but that's an easy solution. Firing the mayor is also an easy solution. But are getting olm teeth or making furniture out of any teeth even possible? And is this woman too broken to hold public office or serve in the armed forces now?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #40138 on: March 04, 2015, 03:08:17 pm »

My captain of the guard has a bone axe. Probably still less deadly than fists, especially though a cap and hood.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40139 on: March 04, 2015, 03:46:02 pm »

The solution is always arming your civilians to the teeth. Give them all helmets and beatings will remain non fatal.

In my fort, the minecart routes are working as intended and food and metal is getting down to the magma sea. Unfortunately, nothing is coming back up yet.
Also due to a restructuring of the citizens' militia, everyone is running atound claiming equipment instead of working :/
Slaughter of excess turkeys before starting test on trait inheritance is progressing slowly.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 
Pages: 1 ... 2674 2675 [2676] 2677 2678 ... 3842