Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2672 2673 [2674] 2675 2676 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121638 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40095 on: March 02, 2015, 12:11:46 am »

Apparently killing with a catapult doesn't register a combat report. And none of my siege engineers got a lengthened name out of it. Such a shame. What do the legends say when a big rock falls on someone?  I thought the miasma was from a giant toad it had killed, so I didn't even notice it was dead until it was already too rotten to get leather from it. Such a shame. Should be bones, though -- 9318 lbs worth. That'll more than replace my missing masterwork bolts.

Yellowgill managed to get from the 3rd to the 1st cavern. I don't think he could've taken the stairs. Maybe cave swallow men are just that sneaky, it would explain how he survived that long. While hanging around my pond ,he came under attack by a troll. The troll got him once with a charge then Gilly blocked him every other time with a tower-cap shield. He sliced the troll's throat open, yet he's the one who ran in terror. I wonder which of them will stumble into a cage trap first.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40096 on: March 02, 2015, 12:29:03 am »

My 50 year old fort "Laborclutch" has a happy woodcrafter, whose stress level is -1000k.
 ::)
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40097 on: March 02, 2015, 01:36:56 am »

A gremlin released a cave dragon caught in one of my cage traps. The cave dragon promptly tore the gremlin to bits and charged right back towards the door, only to be caught in the second line of cage traps. I declare victory.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40098 on: March 02, 2015, 04:45:38 am »

The goblins seem to have lost interest. The last siege had about 70 units (i wanted to say "heads", but in short order, they didn't). Six weaponmasters were enough to completely demolish them, but the spearmaster was so tired he temporarily passed out in the middle of a mob (but silver pikes don't get through iron helmets, so no harm done).

I thought that maybe having a few more soldiers would be prudent, so added three more (one hammer, one sword, one war miner [after switching off her mining labour]) to the squad. They're all legendary with their weapons now, but the goblins seem to have lost interest. Damn.

The miner actually seems to be slightly bugged - she has middling attributes ("slow to tire" wears out very quickly when sparring against superlegendaries), so keeps getting dominated totally in matches and spends well over 90% of her training time on utterly worthless "individual drill"s, not gaining endurance and thus causing her to fall ever further behind. Her shield skill is "professional", dodging "adept", and hers are the lowest skills by a fair (and growing) margin. I think her defensive maneuvres are restricted to pick parrying now. She's been a legendary miner for quite a while, probably in the legendary 10-20 range currently, and gets hit constantly during sparring, which suggests that the others must be around legendary +50, if not higher. Seems that sparring sometimes breaks when skill differences are large and endurance isn't quite up to par.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40099 on: March 02, 2015, 05:01:27 am »

"The forgotten beast Sofipu has come ! An enormous hairy bristleworm. It has a knobby shell and it has a gaunt appearance. It's pale pink hair is long and straight. Beware it's poisonous vapors !"

Wow. That's a new level of fabulous ridiculous. Did it cut itself when it was young because it looked like Armok was a particularly bad mix of drugs when He made it ?

Though I liked the previous forgotten beast. It was a giant fruitbat with large mandibles and also poisonous secretions, which makes it an overgrown, mutant bugbat. Which is pretty damn cool.

but really if this continues i'm just going to mod in non-randomized forgotten beasts. Hairy leeches ? Steam blobs with wings which are absolutely no threat at all ? I want my FB's to be a little more metal. Or at least make a good kaiju.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40100 on: March 02, 2015, 08:34:40 am »

The troll got caged first, and Yellowgilt is still hanging around my south drain, making more bones out of the wildlife. The water is rising, so he'll be pushed closer to my position. How bad-ass can a cave swallow man be? Well, he killed a giant cave spider who killed 7 of his tribe. I think it would be a shame to kill him. Is there any way to pacify him so I can let him wander around without making bones out of my dwarves?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40101 on: March 02, 2015, 09:59:28 am »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40102 on: March 02, 2015, 11:53:05 am »

How bad-ass can a cave swallow man be?

Well...
Hm. Maybe he killed the FB. He left the 3rd cavern on z-lvl 57, snuck into the 1st cavern on z-lvl 20 from the north and, obscured in the giant toad's miasma, swooped in on silent wings to strike like a ninja. After he murdered Githa, he then snuck back out and re-entered from the east on z-lvl 17.

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40103 on: March 02, 2015, 11:58:54 am »

A forgotten beast arrived in a deep cavern. It was a giant humanoid made of filth. It had a big trunk and shot web, because of course it did. I sealed the cavern and sent 15 steel-clad warriors backed by 5 archers to challenge it. They arrived, the cavern was opened, and they took their positions.

One hammerdwarf was the mayor, and a stressed out miner thought this would be a great time to yell at him.

Long story short, this already stressed miner witnessed the death of three military dwarves and has his wrist and ankle smashed before watching the FB die. I'm worried about his long-term sanity.

In other news, we captured and tamed a gremlin. So there's that. A breeding pair of tamed cave crocodiles will hopefully supply us with toothy little critters, and two female GCS means plenty of silk to go around.

A moody dwarf crafted an awesome silver shield, but weighing in at 12 urists, it's impractically heavy.

I've reached an adamantine spire and have begun mining it. I'm not sure what would be best, adamantine weapons or armor. (Maybe mail shirts to wear under their steel breastplates?)

The dwarven caravan has never arrived with a liaison, so we are in the dark. We know nothing beyond this frozen desert, and can only keep waiting, and mining.

Gregor Samsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40104 on: March 02, 2015, 12:10:41 pm »

Legendary Swordsdwarf died of old age. 6th year into the fort.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40105 on: March 02, 2015, 01:52:20 pm »

Glassmaker went into strange mood. There was much celebration. Then we realised that we had no glass, so we walled 'er up and waited for the caravan, see if it had glass or sand.
Then about 30 immigrants came along. Oh well, we can cope, even though it was more than half again our numbers.
Begginning to worry about glassmaker.
Built pyramid for burial of mayor. Not dead yet, but you have to be prepared.
Destroyed part of pyramid to get in, and dug whole for bodies.
Done. Whats this yellow stuff?
SAND!
Sandsandsandsandsand!
SAND=>GLASS=>ARTIFACT!
Built a glassmaker's forge.
Hauling stone.
Tim-tee-tum.
No hurry to construction. Good as done. Already designed.
Glassmaker goes beserk. Merde.
3 dwarves killed.
Stop hauling stone.
hide in top hall.
Send militia down. Butchery.
Militia commander has 1 notable kill now.
Began cleanup and preparation for next artifact. Not to worry. Plenty of time to get things done.
One wheel short of a wagon

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #40106 on: March 02, 2015, 04:19:51 pm »

Many things!

1. Mayor made Fangsmouldered, the shale coffin. The fact that it was a possession makes me think this is an omen. Dragons are unlikely, but a flaming forgotten beast in the second cavern could get in if it had wings.
2. Many giant sparrows hatched.
3. Said fuck it and made the pump stack manual, I now have a magma moat. All non-legendary dwarves are now part-time pump operators.
4. Closed off the third cavern to improve FPS as it's down to just 7.
5. A different mayor got elected, one of my animal trainers. I think I'll replace him since my old mayor was a cool dude and I need my animal trainers to work.
6. Lion tamarin man ambush, this time with three squads, camels, and war jaguars. It was crushed with ease.
7. I've begun the process of executing my prisoners. I'm going to put them all in a room together and whichever group wins - goblins, humans, or lion tamarin men - will have the privilege of giving my military titles.

What can I do with the four dwarves I have captured? I can't remove them from their cages and I don't want to drop them into the magma moat. They're historical figures, which means they count towards titles.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #40107 on: March 02, 2015, 05:14:52 pm »

I think this merits a new post.

WHAT. THE. FUCK. MY FUCKING MILITIA COMMANDER IS GOING NUTS! HE'S ALREADY KILLED TWO OF MY MILITARY! HE CAN'T BE STOPPED! WHY THE HELL!

This isn't the first time either - sometimes he'll celebrate a victory over the goblins by killing a member of his own squad. Every time it happens, though, I always reload the game so I don't lose another legendary militiadwarf. But now? Why? Why is he doing this? I think I won't send him out against sieges any more.

ACTUALLY ON SECOND THOUGHT, IT ISN'T JUST HIM. FUCKING CHRIST, ONE OF MY OTHER MILITARY MEMBERS HAS A DWARVEN KILL.

Sorry about the language, but I'm just very angry about this. Why me?

EDIT:
OH GOD

NO

ALL THE DWARVES ARE FIGHTING

IT WON'T END LIKE THIS

DFHACK > DIE
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 05:17:36 pm by TheFlame52 »

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40108 on: March 02, 2015, 05:35:03 pm »

In the second spring of the Dwarven Town of Sokanedem, a werezebra attacked and tried to climb over the unfinished walls, but was knocked off by a dog who just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Said monster was then slain without casualties by our small and poorly trained militia.

Summer came, and with it, a goblin siege! Well, they called it a siege, there was one mixed squad, consisting of six melee and three bow goblins. Our crossbow squad deployed on the top of our still unfinished walls, only one z-level high at this point, and proceeded to unleash a veritable hailstorm of bolts against the goblins. One goblin immediately gave in to terror on seeing a comrade die, and tried to run, but our melee squad charged their position. There were no goblin survivors, and no dwarven casualties.

Military training, including archery practice, seems to work very well now! I hadn't looked at my military's skill levels, and assumed they would have a hard time of things, seeing as how most of them had been training for less than a season. But the six I had set to training from the first summer (three melee and three crossbow) have progressed to level 7-8 in fighting and weapon skills!

It was quite the pleasure to read the combat logs and see goblins overmastered by terror, but dwarves holding their fear in check. "Death is all around us. This is truly horrifying" versus "Death... I am not upset by this." Recruiting dwarves with high bravery pays off!

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40109 on: March 02, 2015, 09:17:03 pm »

I had just defeated a sieging force of 79 goblins and trolls, and was mass-hauling items when a were-koala arrived. Before I could kill it, it slaughtered my legendary armorer :(
Pages: 1 ... 2672 2673 [2674] 2675 2676 ... 3842