Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2649 2650 [2651] 2652 2653 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6104088 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #39750 on: February 15, 2015, 04:20:39 pm »

I caught I giant sparrow... A MALE. FUCK.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39751 on: February 15, 2015, 04:39:37 pm »

Apparently elven diplomats can still have meetings while insane.

I have no idea why elven diplomats go insane in there, really. This one is safe in my fort, so she didn't get attacked by a siege.

At least I will get a caravan next year ?

Edit: Ah, no, there's a caravan THIS year. But apparently a fire imp joined and there is a valiant fight of a burning camel and a burning elf versus two fire imps. They seem to have started a fire as well.

Time to set temperature back to ON, I suppose. Else it would not be funny.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 04:52:33 pm by Naryar »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #39752 on: February 15, 2015, 04:41:48 pm »

It's an elf in a Dwarf Fortress.

There are many ways it can go insane.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39753 on: February 15, 2015, 04:49:44 pm »

THIS IS WHY WE DON'T TRAIN BUGS

My older giant sparrow also died, luckily I had a replacement. I still hope to catch a female. I also modded voracious cave crawlers to have a child state so I can domesticate them.

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39754 on: February 15, 2015, 05:06:21 pm »

Not looking good guys...

And on top of that, just in this moment a Giant appeared. Hard times.

Edit: Better send the children!

Edit2: They're all dead...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 05:14:57 pm by BesorgterZwerg »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #39755 on: February 15, 2015, 05:12:49 pm »

THIS IS WHY WE EAT OUR TRAINED BUGS ASAP
ftfy.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39756 on: February 15, 2015, 05:13:56 pm »

Alright, so at the start of this Spring. an insane, naked, female elf diplomat went to my fort, and warned me about "disrespecting the trees" and nonsense elf ravings.

Then about two weeks later, two fire imps attack their caravan. Far from the volcano, and I've never had fire imp shenanigans in this fort, nor for a long while in fact.

Three weeks later...

I think the trees have been disrespected indeed. Coincidence ? I think not !

The flames engulfed my trade depot, one elf merchant and one camel. No dwarves dead, i've ordered them inside my fort burrow.

The fire imps are nowhere to be seen. The other merchants fled, I've got one horse and one camel still on the map, marked as Friendly.

Maybe it is the works of the ferric elf terrorists ? I think i have just witnessed a miracle. As it involved burning trees, irony and elves on fire, I can only guess this is the works of our lord Armok. PRAISE THE GOD OF BLOOD !
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 05:20:37 pm by Naryar »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39757 on: February 15, 2015, 05:15:53 pm »

Ah, so last year the outpost liaison's negotiations were foiled by dwarven democracy - our drill sergeant got voted in for mayor (as usual) and the diplomat promptly got affronted and ran away. Why the liaison insists on negotiating with the mayor instead of the baroness/duchess is a mystery.

Everything went smoothly this year. The caravan even left early because a wagonpuller got spooked and broke the wagon. We now have a wagon wooden _coffin_; i can confirm it seems to get treated as some kind of non-plant material, "coffin" is the name for stone and (i think) bone burial receptacles.

I optimised a powerless minecart grinder for cart density and size:

Basic grinder cell:
Code: [Select]
####     ####
#▲▲#     #══#
####     ####

Can be under a closed ceiling or with walls on the level above to the east and west. This way, you can get one cart on ever other tile and it gets much harder to sidestep them (they bounce back and forth with a period of eighteen steps). The idea would be to chain them up so that they need to be traversed lengthwise:

#.###
##▲▲#
####▲#
####▲#
##▲▲#
#▲#
#▲#
.##

Four cells, four carts.

The main issue is building it so it can actually be stopped for maintenance. This can be done in a rather unreliable fashion with retractable bridges over single ramps - bridges toss carts and can throw them into an adjacent cell, or in a way that's susceptible to building destroyers but works very nicely in their absence:

####     ####     ######     ######
#▲▲#     #══#     #¢▼D▲#     #▼▼+═#
####     ####     ######     ######
z+0    z+0, track    z+1      z+1, track

Tried and proven. To switch an active cell off, open the door D. The cart leaves the pit, runs into the walled-off ramp and returns. On the return it doesn't enter the pit again but jumps across it - because the adjacent tile is plain floor instead of track. The jump places it on top of the hatch cover. Opening the hatch while the door is closed re-starts the grinder.

This incidentally is a neat way to build a switch-back level change - using only a single line's width of track.

PS: and a few forgotten beasts went missing in the caverns (which by the looks of them are waist-high in various extracts).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 05:18:34 pm by Larix »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39758 on: February 15, 2015, 05:25:08 pm »

I will be ready for this year's goblin siege. I have four mace lords, three legendary, one hammer lord, legendary, one spearmaster, legendary, one speardwarf, and one axedwarf. The lowest skill is adept. I don't think I'll send in the non-masters.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39759 on: February 15, 2015, 05:30:24 pm »

The aforementioned forest fire is causing cave-ins (well, tree-ins).

It also does NOT say "A section of the cavern has collapsed!" but "Something has collapsed on the surface!", which is nice.

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39760 on: February 15, 2015, 05:45:00 pm »

Second time i tried to reclaim my fort and died again.

I want my fort back  :'(

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39761 on: February 15, 2015, 05:51:57 pm »

Caught two giant cave spiders in the interval of a few days.

THEY'RE BOTH FEMALES. BAH. I suppose I should be happy to have two of them.

Also the second cave crocodile I caught was another female.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 05:53:54 pm by Naryar »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39762 on: February 15, 2015, 05:58:25 pm »

To get ready for the goblin siege next month, I made my new militiadwarves some masterwork weapons now that they've decided what weapons they're using. My weaponsmith went on break before he made a masterwork steel spear, though, so my speardwarf has to make do with an exceptional. That's okay, he'll go back on duty later.

EDIT:
FINALLY

AT LONG LAST

BUZZAAAAAAAAAAAARD HATCHLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGS
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:33:16 pm by TheFlame52 »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39763 on: February 15, 2015, 07:42:35 pm »

GOBLINS, RIGHT ON SCHEDULE, RIGHT ON TARGET, RIGHT WHERE I WANT THEM.

Seriously, if you come onto the map in the same place two years in a row, come somewhere else the third year to confuse me. I have a legendary militia waiting right next to where you just came out. Dumbasses.

As the goblins enter the map, the military charges. My spearmaster went off to get provisions right before they came so he won't be getting there until the very end. Dammit, I wanted him to get kills. The odd man out this siege is a marksdwarf with a goblin name. A few bolts fly at my dwarves, but they all miss. One of my new macelords kills a pikegob with two hits, his first blood.

The spearman is in the middle of the goblin with no allies nearby, I hope he is okay. Skulls splat and bones crack as the militia commander and hammerlord charge into the front ranks, sending goblins reeling with broken bones and missing teeth. The speardwarf seems to be doing fine, but a lasher knocked him down and seems to be giving him a bit of trouble. And he's on the ground, unconscious, leg and hand broken, this looks like the end! The lasher finishes him off with a whip to the head! But Stinthad the macelord is having none of this and he goes into a martial trance, slamming his mace into the swordsgob next to him. He fights his way toward the speardwarf's body, but is accidentally bowled over by the militia commander. Whoops! They keep fighting, only slightly dazed.

The axedwarf is fighting well, sending limbs and head flying, when he gets hit in the neck from behind with a goblin mace! Luckily, the militia commander is right next to him and swiftly kills the macegob. The axedwarf passes out, but the fight is carried on past him. A troll bowls over the hammerlord, but he is back on is feet in a split second and caves in the troll's skull. One speargob, as vengeance for their fallen comrade, has his spine broken, then every bone in his body. Stinthad leaves the martial trance, but keeps killing all the same.

Suddenly, a squad of trolls appears and goes straight for the unconscious axedwarf! Three trolls put their hands all over him, one breaking his knee with a twist. His leather hood and thick skull foil their attempts at goring him. The dwarves charge for their injured companion, slaying every troll in their path. Just when it looks like the day is saved, the last troll punches the axedwarf in the head, causing his head to be mashed into the dirt below. The last trolls are slain. The siege is lifted. All but two dwarves walk away from the battlefield. I shouldn't have sent the recruits.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39764 on: February 15, 2015, 11:04:30 pm »

My dorf dug revealed the 3rd cavern so my tree farms got some new kinds of trees.

My cloth reserves are rotting.
I'm glad the garbage trucks wagons have arrived.

But in fact, a barrel of fat is enough to buy what I want.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:14:33 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 2649 2650 [2651] 2652 2653 ... 3842