Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2609 2610 [2611] 2612 2613 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102301 times)

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #39150 on: January 15, 2015, 08:12:38 pm »

Founded a new fort.
Soon after piercing the stone layer, I discovered the fort has access to all three iron ores - magnetite, limonite, and hematite abound.

Now you just need some flux like limestone, marble, or chalk and you're in business!

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39151 on: January 15, 2015, 08:13:36 pm »

Founded a new fort.
Soon after piercing the stone layer, I discovered the fort has access to all three iron ores - magnetite, limonite, and hematite abound.

Now you just need some flux like limestone, marble, or chalk and you're in business!
Hey, having all the iron ores itself is great.
I don't remember if there's flux here or not; I can always trade for some.

EDIT: Oh, and the lungfish in the area phase through solid ground.

Oriolous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39152 on: January 15, 2015, 11:53:42 pm »

Why is all of my lye not being put in the stockpile that only allows lye and is forbidden everywhere else? O.o

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39153 on: January 15, 2015, 11:57:32 pm »

So I've done a final death count to the Bronze Colossus now that I've returned. 5 dwarves and 1 human fell. A Recruit, two Herbalists (one of whom was the mayor), a Woodcrafter, a Weaver, and the Human Merchant.

Time to prepare the burial chambers.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39154 on: January 16, 2015, 12:45:03 am »

And now a Vile Force of Darkness has arrived!

And there's not a single Goblin in the army. Dwarves, Elves, and Men, however, abound in the full squad of invaders. I guess those Goblin Snatchers have been busy.

And I routed them...but now a few of my military dwarves have started brawling with each other! One's even lost both of his arms! What's the point of saving my city if you guys are going to go berseker on each other after the day's been won!?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 01:03:17 am by Urist McShire »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39155 on: January 16, 2015, 07:31:49 am »

Another quick fix made jumps from the overflow/wraparound position possible. In the first design, the cooldown after normal progression obscured the jump signal. This allowed a fully contained division by addition in eight commands. How do you divide by adding up? Pretty easy - store dividend, divisor and running total in three registers. Add divisor to running total, check if the result is bigger than the dividend. If not, increment the quotient counter by one and add again. If the result is bigger, stop. The result ends up in the counter.

Dividend in Reg. C, Divisor in Reg. A. No further requirements.
Spoiler: Program (click to show/hide)

0101 100 011 : 0000 011 000 = (0000) 001 110 (only six bits countable)
355 : 24 = 14 (after the fifteenth addition, running sum is 360, which is bigger than 355).

It took a while to run. 62 operations required means about 20 days. FPS was complaining bitterly all the way. Seems when 40 hatch covers open all at once, you can't expect double-digit frame rates. It's between 20-25 during less intense operations, ~40 when the computer does nothing.

N.B.: this was a major breakthrough for me. I really just entered data and program, and ordered the "operate" lever pulled. From that point on, the machine did everything autonomously. No malfunctions, no interventions required.

The core of calculations is an instant-result adder following Jong's design: the obvious strength is that it calculates all carries instantly. But you still need to "input" that into the sum calculations. The solution was, (i think) also presented by Jong: you can also instantly calculate the "not-carry" in pretty much the same fashion. This way, you get a sum either when you have a carry-in and A-line and B-line input are equal, _or_ when carry-in is off and A and B are inequal. Result: no need to convert your carries from power to signal for summation, there are no delays. All calculations are effectively done by establishing power paths, which happens instantly whenever inputs change. The result still needs to be converted to a signal, but timing and regulating of that process becomes much easier without delays within the adder itself. Very handy for automated data processing.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 07:57:43 am by Larix »

CHR1SZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39156 on: January 16, 2015, 10:44:22 am »

So, my first fort in 0.40 (it's taken me a while to get round to updating) and I've got 25 dwarfs and galena is my only ore. In search of more metal, I decided to breach the first cavern layer, and was greeted by a giant toad. Given that I didn't have a military I more or less gave up the fort for dead but decided to watch the carnage ensue anyway. However, the first dwarf the toad came across was a woodcutter, who started hacking at the toad, although in the course of the fight he lost hold of his axe. The toad nonetheless gave in to pain and the woodcutter continued to punch it.

Unfortunately, the toad had collapsed on the main stairs in the fort, between the meeting hall and the food stores. As a result, the dwarves in the hall were one by one interrupted from getting food and started to join in punching the unconscious toad. Eventually this reached the stage where I only had 3 active dwarves left, as everyone else was busy punching the toad, collapsing from exhaustion, waking up and then continuing to punch the toad. The toad woke up occasionally, only to be knocked out almost immediately by the 22 crazy dwarves surrounding it.

This continue to the point where I'd mined and smelted some galena ready to forge into a warhammer and set up a military to use said warhammer just out of mercy. Fortunately, after over a month of constant beating, the beast's head finally turned to mush.

All 22 exhausted dwarves then staggered off to the 6 bed dormitory and promptly fell asleep.
It's all very epic. Jump off a tower towards a spike pit, and at the last moment attempt to parry the planet.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #39157 on: January 16, 2015, 12:12:27 pm »

-Fine Story-
No, those are not FB, those are WB, as in Werebeasts. It is a werewolf, but with camels. Forgotten beasts are way more powerful.
You might get more of those in no time if your dwarves fought it.

Nah, the bugger ran away before my militia could get to it.
I know it was a Werebeast, and not a Forgotten Beast. I just said the wrong thing in my post.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39158 on: January 16, 2015, 03:14:43 pm »

Started a new fort to play around with tree gathering mechanics--a dedicedly above-ground fort. This is an island  backup.breadbasket fort that dwarves can run to in case they are overun on the mainland.

Trees are currently being looked at one by one, and only fruit-bearing trees are being allowed to stand. The vast majority of this fort's dwarves will be responsible for gathering plants, food, brewing, etc. That said, there will be some mining dwarves, several weapon and armorsmiths to forge the rumored vast quantities of metal below the surface (two kinds of iron, both kinds of coal, gold, silver, platinum, zinc, tin, and lead--thanks DFHack. Now that I know what's down there it's "unreveal" and never to reveal on this map again.), and a military to provide protection against any visitors to our fair island.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39159 on: January 16, 2015, 05:47:21 pm »

In my fort, a milkfish gave birth to a milkfish fry.
It wasn't even tame.
That's pretty cool, actually.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39160 on: January 16, 2015, 05:48:44 pm »

The teleporting sparring dwarves bug strikes again.

That's a total of four legendary war miners lost to this retardation. Two in the volcano, two in the magma moat. And yes, before you ask, I HAVE walls to ensure they don't spar into magma.

Seriously how do dwarves teleport through full walls while sparring ? Fuck this shit.

That ain't even Fun. I don't mind too much random cave-ins while channeling volcanoes and the resulting plunges into lava (especially that I knew it and I could have done a protection rather easily), but this bug needs to be fixed.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39161 on: January 16, 2015, 05:49:35 pm »

Huh. I've never encountered that before.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39162 on: January 16, 2015, 06:12:45 pm »

The teleporting sparring dwarves bug strikes again.

That's a total of four legendary war miners lost to this retardation. Two in the volcano, two in the magma moat. And yes, before you ask, I HAVE walls to ensure they don't spar into magma.

Seriously how do dwarves teleport through full walls while sparring ? Fuck this shit.

That ain't even Fun. I don't mind too much random cave-ins while channeling volcanoes and the resulting plunges into lava (especially that I knew it and I could have done a protection rather easily), but this bug needs to be fixed.

I have never seen this bug before, but uploading the save for Toady to see woukd be very helpful. It sounds like a very bad bug.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #39163 on: January 16, 2015, 07:20:01 pm »

A woodcutter got his arm mashed by a falling log, but he was patched up in no time thanks to the fact that I usually have a fully functioning hospital by summer. My fort is going well, my dogs, hyena, monitor lizard, and hunters catch plenty of game. Yes, my pets are hunting wild animals. This is the best.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #39164 on: January 16, 2015, 07:29:53 pm »

Oh, nice, werebeast attack! Luckly, it didn't cause any important causality, just a normal-ass hunter badly wounded. Meh, i'll just leave him there to starve to death.

1 month later...

OH GAWD NOT THE FISHERMEN OH HE'S KILLING THE LIVESTOCK NOT MY FUCKING FARMERS OH MY MASONS TOO FUCK YOU YOU WERESLOTH PIECE OF SHIT I SHOULDVE WALLED YOU.

Pages: 1 ... 2609 2610 [2611] 2612 2613 ... 3842