Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2595 2596 [2597] 2598 2599 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106723 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38940 on: January 04, 2015, 12:36:08 pm »

Got my first goblin siege on my current fortress since reclaiming it. Caught about 4 soldiers in cage traps, and now I can use them for training the new recruits...

Also got a mood for my high master weaponsmith, unfortunately I think she wants gold and I don't have any... I guess I'll get digging and hope I find some in time...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38941 on: January 04, 2015, 12:45:24 pm »

A marksdwarf fired at a giant mosquito 13 z levels above him.
The mosquito vomited in mid air, creating piles of floating vomit.

::)

Blood currently does that too, if you can either shoot an flying critter or get it to go that high.

Interestingly enough sometimes mud does as well, if you wet a patch of land and then channel it.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

G3Kappa

• Bay Watcher
  • You lick the Badger Boar tongue.
    • View Profile
    • Fieropa
« Reply #38942 on: January 04, 2015, 01:50:44 pm »

Just got a large goblin siege. There were no useful metals in this map, only gold, and I hadn't had the occasion to bulk buy weapons for my military yet. So I quickly set up a five-man archery squad, assign them weapons and tell them to station in my archery tower. Meanwhile, an Ettin appears on the map. Beware its two hea- oh nevermind, he's already dead.

Anyway, my hopes down already I order the bridges to be lowered: I want to bait the gobs closer so that my marksdwarves can hit them.
Sure enough, as soon as the bridges touch to ground, three of them decide that stationing isn't fun, and they rush melee range in the face of death. Now I understand why you have to build an underground access to your towers! I've always thought it was to keep invaders out, but it was actually to keep your stupid archers in.

The remaining two hopelessly fire their ­≡Pecan wood bolts≡ (since the copper ones ran out not 10 minutes earlier during a hunt session) at anything that enters their field of view.
But I don't care. Death... this cannot upset me. I watch as the small army makes its way into my gold-plated fortress, as all the citizens run in panic and as their blood covers the wall.

It is over. Goblins, you have w- Goblin Militia Commander: "Welp nevermind, they just told me that we got the wrong fortress. Let's go guys."

... So yep. I'm left with 8 dwarves, two of which are babies. I'd order them to build the most glorious catacomb, but ain't nobody got time for that.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 01:54:59 pm by G3Kappa »

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38943 on: January 04, 2015, 01:59:22 pm »

Navigating through my fort must be torturous. Vertial stairshafts end with spider-shaped hollows of former tetrahedrite deposites, somewhere inside those hollows the next staircase begins. Until very recently, entry point to the cavern system was the second layer and with natural tunnel up. Also, well shaft constantly connected to staircases because dwarves kept climbing out instead of digging to the water supply. It's ridiculous.

I cheer for every dwarf dieing in my fort, but I just can't bring myself to make it easier for them. I wish goblins would come.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38944 on: January 04, 2015, 02:11:00 pm »

And apparently I've missed epic battle between troglodytes and serpent people. One serpent woman elite wrestler survived and is now hiding in the water. Surrounded by pools of bloody water.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38945 on: January 04, 2015, 02:16:03 pm »

A siege arrived, with a macelord up front, riding a rutherer. After my one man charge, supported by tens of tigers and lions and jaguars fails to break them, my three squads, one in steel and leather, the other two in light bronze and mostly leather, charge out, supported by a few giant cats, a few rhinos, and a ton of dogs. Some lashers and spear goblins quickly handled the weaker two squads, and one steel guy was killed by the mace lord, another fleeing the fight. Eight left... I cancelled their kill order while paused, instead ordering them individually. One stationed near the map edge, one to handle the mace, hammer, and lasher goblins, one to handle the rest, and the last five to fight that mace lord atop the rutherer. The rutherer cuts off the nose of one dwarf. He passes out. Mace lord whacks his head twice, killing him. Mace lord kicks one in the chest a couple times, then shield bashes him. Rutherer charges, as that dwarf flies into a tree trunk, his head explodes in gore. This double teaming process continued until all but the one dwarf fighting the leader was dead. Then, suddenly, he transformed into a wereibex. Surprising, but helpful. It gored the leader in the chest, bruising the heart through the iron breastplate. Then picked up a hammer and crushed the rutherer's head in one blow. Then the goblin. Then the rest of the siege. As he turned back to a dwarf, one last goblin cut his spine with a short sword stab. Now sitting helpless on the ground, I decided to build a steel menacing spike trap under him and execute him. Alas, Kadol was a good dwarf, but I don't need him turning into a wereibex in the middle of nowhere again.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #38946 on: January 04, 2015, 02:18:47 pm »

Wow. Relaeasing the inner beast takes on a whole new meaning!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38947 on: January 04, 2015, 02:24:50 pm »

I have that all time, but with blood spatterings.

Edit: Wait, he fired at a target above him?
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38948 on: January 04, 2015, 02:45:08 pm »

I didn't notice for a while because it was winter and everything was frozen. But now that spring is here...

Hehe.  The mayor thought he was so lucky with his engraved ice wall!  I came pretty close to flooding my fortress the other day, but luckily I was able to wall it off into a couple of rooms.  I'm working on making a green glass floor over a channeled out aquifer, and accidentally channeled into one of the rooms on the floor below.

In my game, Jewelroads just became the Mountainhome!  The king arrived, and he was a goblin.  I wasn't too surprised by that, since I knew it from Legends mode already.  I was surprised, however, that I was able to view his detailed informtion and preferences like a dwarf!  Is this a new feature?  I was also quite pleasantly surprised that he brought a kobold ranger with him, like a little buddy.

My original vision for this fortress was to have the vast majority of dwarfs living in shacks above ground and working as fruit pickers for our drink industry , while the wealthy elites lived in luxury.  Ever since we found that giant vein of gold in the cavern, I've been thinking I want to make most of my industries based deep underground, with some kind of rail system for bring goods up to the trade depot.

In other good news, we slaughtered the elf diplomat and merchants.  They didn't bring enough giant animals.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #38949 on: January 04, 2015, 02:58:21 pm »

A siege arrived, with a macelord up front, riding a rutherer. After my one man charge, supported by tens of tigers and lions and jaguars fails to break them, my three squads, one in steel and leather, the other two in light bronze and mostly leather, charge out, supported by a few giant cats, a few rhinos, and a ton of dogs. Some lashers and spear goblins quickly handled the weaker two squads, and one steel guy was killed by the mace lord, another fleeing the fight. Eight left... I cancelled their kill order while paused, instead ordering them individually. One stationed near the map edge, one to handle the mace, hammer, and lasher goblins, one to handle the rest, and the last five to fight that mace lord atop the rutherer. The rutherer cuts off the nose of one dwarf. He passes out. Mace lord whacks his head twice, killing him. Mace lord kicks one in the chest a couple times, then shield bashes him. Rutherer charges, as that dwarf flies into a tree trunk, his head explodes in gore. This double teaming process continued until all but the one dwarf fighting the leader was dead. Then, suddenly, he transformed into a wereibex. Surprising, but helpful. It gored the leader in the chest, bruising the heart through the iron breastplate. Then picked up a hammer and crushed the rutherer's head in one blow. Then the goblin. Then the rest of the siege. As he turned back to a dwarf, one last goblin cut his spine with a short sword stab. Now sitting helpless on the ground, I decided to build a steel menacing spike trap under him and execute him. Alas, Kadol was a good dwarf, but I don't need him turning into a wereibex in the middle of nowhere again.
It's like one of those scenes in a movie/anime where the hero busts out in the final hour, and just owns the very guys that leveled the battlefield. Putting him out of his misery, and doubling as a security measure was a good choice.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #38950 on: January 04, 2015, 03:09:45 pm »

Lost a third member of the starting seven to something that I've never experienced before (but heard of many times)...tree growth. Didn't see any give water cancellation spam, only noticed when the "been missing for a week" message came up...located the body via bookkeeper's records (those guys are freaky.)

So...yeah, that's unfortunate. I only have 11 adults now. Building a megaproject. At least 10 children - 4 of whom are this founding miner's, so at least his legacy will live on. And at least this indicates the quarries are safer than the surrounding wilderness.

Edit: Actually, wasn't a founding seven member. It was the wife of a non-seven who was notable because of his many children. (I nickname all the dwarves to keep track of clans.) Those four are orphans now; their father died some time ago. I've forgotten how.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38951 on: January 04, 2015, 03:27:09 pm »

It seems like after all those years my fortress sanity is starting to fail. First dwarves report depression.

Must be bone carving.

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38952 on: January 04, 2015, 05:04:33 pm »

I had a devastating wereape breakout recently. The population has been halved but the curse has been exterminated. I guess the beasts killed more dwarfs than they cursed in the end. But it looks like Fullbasement will live to see another day.     :)

Unfortunately almost all of the population are cripples from the attacks. But I'll take what I can get.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38953 on: January 04, 2015, 07:27:43 pm »

I have that all time, but with blood spatterings.

Edit: Wait, he fired at a target above him?

Yeah, I was watching the top level when I noticed some bolts flew.
The marksdwarf was a caravan guard.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38954 on: January 04, 2015, 07:38:10 pm »

My fort became a barony.
The baron was a miner who didn't have many preferences.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 2595 2596 [2597] 2598 2599 ... 3842