Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2593 2594 [2595] 2596 2597 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106642 times)

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38910 on: January 02, 2015, 10:07:07 pm »

(I just jinxed myself didn't I?).

More than likely.

EDIT: The caravan came and went with nary a mishap! A small sum of booze, metals, leather, and food were purchased for a few hunks of sandstone (to get the damned things out of the way,) some spare siege crossbows, and alligator bone crafts/totems. Amidst the migrants was a single person with some prior combat skills so values or not, he's a speardwarf now. The militia has enough leather armor and iron helmets to avoid any wrestling mishaps as a result of the caravan, using a sort of "Light Battle" armor.

I wonder who'll show up first: Goblins? Or Spawn?

You have Spawn? Did you mod it in yourself or something?
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38911 on: January 02, 2015, 10:13:18 pm »

(I just jinxed myself didn't I?).

More than likely.

EDIT: The caravan came and went with nary a mishap! A small sum of booze, metals, leather, and food were purchased for a few hunks of sandstone (to get the damned things out of the way,) some spare siege crossbows, and alligator bone crafts/totems. Amidst the migrants was a single person with some prior combat skills so values or not, he's a speardwarf now. The militia has enough leather armor and iron helmets to avoid any wrestling mishaps as a result of the caravan, using a sort of "Light Battle" armor.

I wonder who'll show up first: Goblins? Or Spawn?

You have Spawn? Did you mod it in yourself or something?

Spawn of Holistic to be exact. They were used in Spearbreakers and the guy who set them up updated them for 40.xx. Nasty bitey things they are. Had to remove some of thier immunities to balance them out enough to not be instant death to fight on a dwarf to... Whatever the fuck they are. Need to be pulped, cut to ribbons, or have thier obsidian hearts damaged to kill them.

asnys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38912 on: January 03, 2015, 12:24:04 am »

Started a new fort to play-test my Hard Liquor Mod.   Right after the very first merchant caravan arrives, a were-elephant shows up.   I've got no militia ready yet, and it ends up killing two (nobody important, fortunately) and biting a kid and the guy I was planning to make my militia commander.

So now I'm planning to make an army of were-elephants.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #38913 on: January 03, 2015, 01:00:37 am »

Just had an engraver have a particularly gruesome encounter with a helmet snake. He wrestled with it until he collapsed from exhaustion then the snake spent a nice while biting his... extremities. Considering the nature of helmet snake venom, my sympathy is with this poor dwarf.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #38914 on: January 03, 2015, 02:07:03 am »

I have a population of 37 but apparently one of the dwarves felt nobly and became a baroness, same dwarf who made a fancy crystal window artifact from wax opal.
Then a human diplomat came in to tell her all the news from, I'm guessing, the local towns then he left.
Also have a nice gem industry which is good enough to be all my trade items for a decent haul each trade caravan.
I've got a hospital set up, and a xbow range, got militia training, added a new smelter and giving baroness silver furniture, door and her gem window thing.
Have more than enough food, everyone has jobs, everyone is happy, half way into second year, and plenty of major things getting done
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38915 on: January 03, 2015, 07:49:33 am »

Drained my only skilled mason of blood, did you?  >:(
Fine. Enjoy your new residence without doors or furniture.
But hey, at least the ceiling grate gives you unlimited access to the rain of fetid filth!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38916 on: January 03, 2015, 07:55:18 am »

My fort was running out of food. The farm plots were designed to support a dozen of dorfs but now I have 95 mouths to feed.
So I marked the whole map "gather plants". Problem solved.
I just hope goblins don't appear before they finish.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #38917 on: January 03, 2015, 10:26:51 am »

So, I'm on year 10 of Mineseal now. I'm shooting to make this fort my oldest one yet, which means it has to last at least another 5 years. Hopefully far more though...

But anyway, I'm having flashbacks to my first fort, because the wereelephant menace (which killed my first attempt at playing this game) reared its ugly head yet again! On the plus side though, it didn't kill anyone useful, and now I have a regenerating dwarf walled up who will never die unless they get instakilled by a ghost.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38918 on: January 03, 2015, 11:20:52 am »

A clear glass forgotten beast came the same time an elven caravan arrived. It didn't cause any trouble before my military killed it. Its breath attacks didn't hit anything.

I bought some big felines and a hippo from the elves. Then I left the game running while I was away. When I returned a hydra showed up.

It was a 2x2 map and I didn't have much time so I raised the bridge. The hydra killed all those elves and then my two war elephants (for some reason they didn't know how to fight back) then every ground animal on the map.

I lowered the bridge and sent my military. But the hydra approach the door much faster than I expected. When the hydra was killed, 7 dorfs died and half of the military hadn't even come down the stairs before the battle was over. The result was bad

Or not. I reloaded the save before the hydra showed up. I trained all those big cats and stray dogs, then assigned all war animals including the two war elephants to my soldiers. I stationed all the melee squads beyond the trade depot to protect the merchants.

This time it was a glacial titan (yeah, guess megabeast attacks are just random). My military was ill eqipped and most of them didn't even have any armor. The battle was long, but eventually the titan was dead. Obsidian swords could barely pierce its scaly skin. However, the steel spear was very efficient against the titan. One of the new recruits lost his right hand and got a dented skull so I retired him.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38919 on: January 03, 2015, 03:25:21 pm »

I just flooded my fortress.     :(

I accidentally let my miner auto-mine into the aquifer. I didn't notice for a while because it was winter and everything was frozen. But now that spring is here...

I actually forgot that there was an aquifer for a couple minutes so I just let it flow thinking it would flood the lowest caverns and leave me with a muddy staircase. Nope! I'll try to seal off the main part of the fortress. I just hope I can keep my miner alive. He has our only pickaxe!

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38920 on: January 03, 2015, 03:27:47 pm »

Digger mortis anyone?

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38921 on: January 03, 2015, 04:08:13 pm »

Woundmerged continues, just slaughtered a full expeditionary force of 40 goblins and 20 trolls without a scratch to my adamantine-clad juggernauts of destruction.  Also have gone through two ettins, a cyclops and three weresheep (beware the ovine menace... #smdh).  Valuation is over 8 mill so the good stuff is starting to see me.  Dragons will be pretty puny since the world is only 125 years old, but I figure the FB network ought to be buzzing right about now.  Already killed a few of them but nothing really deadly (yet).

All of my named enemies are getting memorialized in the Hall of Memories, full of slabs commemorating fallen enemies with a an adamantine statue in the middle showing the settling of Woundmerged by the Knives of Stroking of the Creative Furnace.  The children of the earth shall not be defeated!
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38922 on: January 03, 2015, 04:10:29 pm »

I'm hoping my spear dwarves train quickly.
I've been digging straight down since day one and am not sure when I might hit !!fun!! Things

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38923 on: January 04, 2015, 02:07:41 am »

A wounded Clothier/FirstPick threw a tantrum, and on the way to the meeting about it also threw a sand pear. My well-trained Hunter/Markdorf dodged it just fine, right into a Bone Carver/Marksdorf in a bad mood, who took it personally and joined the non-lethal tantrum fight in a semi-lethal fight of his own (bone crossbows do much less damage than punching, so not bad anyway). If the Hunter had fought back he'd have tanned their hides, but he wouldn't, so inevitably he goes down.

I tried to break it up (as the bruising, stunning, and head hits were getting a bit serious) by switching their squads to active/station. That just made them turn nasty, all head shots, but only with their fists (stopped using the crossbow, so more dangerous). So I turned off the squads again and the Clothier left the fight. Yay! Bone Carver kept hitting the Hunter in the head though, now with a Robe for some reason (which really hurt!, must find how to weaponise robes) and when a passing Fisher/Axedorf saw that he joined in and cut the Hunter's head off in one hit. Now there's a baby on the loose and everyone's a bit more stressed. Also, no crime report, so apparently dodging into people puts you on the rebel side sometimes.

Unless my crime system's bugged with that insane dwarf stuck in the jail, I haven't had any reports for a long time, but that was the first tantrum in ages too, and the Baron/Mayor only ever wants doors, so maybe not.

I was just working on cleaning all the exploded cats out of the well (or digging a new shaft, funny what happens when you're distracted) when the game gave me a "1822 segmentation fault", so that all never happened now. 40.24 should save quite so many tantrums from all the wounded dorfs.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38924 on: January 04, 2015, 02:12:47 am »

New migrant wave.
Population now at 45.
Fort is 1.8 years old.
The recruits have trained enough to become actual spear dwarves.
I have continued diving straight down and am worried that I might hit !!fun!! Before a cavern.
Food is good and so is drink
I gave the baroness all silver furnathre and an artifact opal window and her rooms still aren't good enough.
Baroness has also mandated ballista parts be made and no be allowed to be traded.
Pages: 1 ... 2593 2594 [2595] 2596 2597 ... 3842