Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2592 2593 [2594] 2595 2596 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106607 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38895 on: January 02, 2015, 08:13:56 am »

You can also spin some hair at a farmers workshop. Hair from dead critters can be used to make thread, but the thread can never be made into cloth.

Yes... pity my poor dwarf who received not one, not five, but ten "cow hair thread sutures".  Bleah.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38896 on: January 02, 2015, 08:31:09 am »

Tested a small cave-in.
It seems dust can destroy fortifications floors and doors but not stairs.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 08:39:21 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38897 on: January 02, 2015, 11:20:07 am »

So I'm starting a new fort in 40.23. My miners are busy digging out that first food stockpile/farming area in the soil layer and the staircase going down from there. Not far, just apparently enough to get into the first stone layers. So I'm getting the 'you have struck lignite!' 'you have struck gypsum!' 'you have struck kaolinite!', and suddenly...

A giant cave spider has sprung from ambush!

The announcement takes me deeper down, 14 layers below where my staircase ends, and there's nothing to be seen of the cavern, or the spider, or whatever triggered his/her ambush. Of course, there's no way for it to get to my dorfs. Yet. Nor does it show up on my unit list.

Yet I found it amusing and thank the RNG for the warning where the caverns are and hence, where danger lies, waiting so patiently.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38898 on: January 02, 2015, 12:32:19 pm »

Yes... pity my poor dwarf who received not one, not five, but ten "cow hair thread sutures".  Bleah.

Not every dwarf can get adamantine. :P
()==[:::::::::::::>

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38899 on: January 02, 2015, 01:26:33 pm »

still havent ran out of adamantine, but for some reason most of the strands arent being processed into wafers, must be a bug. but im getting the work at least.

i will make a complete set of armor before retiring the fort, and maybe a weapon. it should be enough as im getting less and less FPS.

have already made the mailshirt and the breastplate. only the minor parts is left. and a sword/battle axe.

finished the armor set. disbanded my squads, let out the demons and just retired the fort. for the first time since i started playing i have created a fort which hasnt crumbled to its end.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 02:08:47 pm by xaritscin »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #38900 on: January 02, 2015, 01:45:23 pm »

Not every dwarf can get adamantine. :P

If I were dorf I would be entirly fine with metal strand sutures

Or if leather was able to be cut into threads if be fine with elf skin sutures
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #38901 on: January 02, 2015, 01:50:00 pm »

So I'm starting a new fort in 40.23. My miners are busy digging out that first food stockpile/farming area in the soil layer and the staircase going down from there. Not far, just apparently enough to get into the first stone layers. So I'm getting the 'you have struck lignite!' 'you have struck gypsum!' 'you have struck kaolinite!', and suddenly...

A giant cave spider has sprung from ambush!

The announcement takes me deeper down, 14 layers below where my staircase ends, and there's nothing to be seen of the cavern, or the spider, or whatever triggered his/her ambush. Of course, there's no way for it to get to my dorfs. Yet. Nor does it show up on my unit list.

Yet I found it amusing and thank the RNG for the warning where the caverns are and hence, where danger lies, waiting so patiently.
I'm guessing the spider attacked some cavern creature like a rutherer or something.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38902 on: January 02, 2015, 02:30:56 pm »

Protip: Dwarves often seem reluctant to dump or stockpile boring items like wood and stone. Solution: Build floors with that wood/stone where you want it moved to! Theoretically this wastes time, but the dwarves will jump right to construction while putting off dumping/stockpiling for ever.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38903 on: January 02, 2015, 04:04:34 pm »

So far so good in Heroicstand. Craft production is proceeding apace, so by fall there should be ample goods to pawn off. My three militiadwarves now have mail hoods and helmets, weapons, and a place to train, such as it is, and some bayoneted crossbows have been readied to make a team of patrol armor marksdwarves when we have the supplies to do so and ammo. Right now I'm just waiting for something big enough to make into leather armor that isn't reptillian to show up.

No king or queen yet, thankfully, but in that event the land provides valuable fireclay to make the shit for his/her rooms, and enough plants are gathered from the harvest for some booze, one we have a dwarf to spare to run a still.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38904 on: January 02, 2015, 04:18:46 pm »

Moved a bone/shell pile inside for ease of use and half a month later it was full with turtle shells

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #38905 on: January 02, 2015, 05:44:28 pm »

I just saw a Troll Pikeman at the latest siege here in Mineseal. I didn't know that was possible.

It is terrifying.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38906 on: January 02, 2015, 05:50:51 pm »

Giant migrant wave, with several new xbow dwarves and plenty with minor military training
Militia startup eminent and it's barely the second year, woot woot

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38907 on: January 02, 2015, 06:19:55 pm »

I pierced my first aquifer today. This embark also has evil clouds, which I've never dealt with before. This is gonna be FUN.

One miner died piercing the aquifer and a woodcutter died of thirst. He would have been OK but nobody would take him to the hospital or give him water for some reason.

Anyway, The first dwarven caravan has arrived and I have a population of nine. Also, I've found some candy. Not that it'll be very useful with nine dwarfs. Things are looking good (I just jinxed myself didn't I?).

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38908 on: January 02, 2015, 07:09:20 pm »

pupulation: 81
wealth: 111833
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38909 on: January 02, 2015, 07:24:54 pm »

(I just jinxed myself didn't I?).

More than likely.

EDIT: The caravan came and went with nary a mishap! A small sum of booze, metals, leather, and food were purchased for a few hunks of sandstone (to get the damned things out of the way,) some spare siege crossbows, and alligator bone crafts/totems. Amidst the migrants was a single person with some prior combat skills so values or not, he's a speardwarf now. The militia has enough leather armor and iron helmets to avoid any wrestling mishaps as a result of the caravan, using a sort of "Light Battle" armor.

I wonder who'll show up first: Goblins? Or Spawn?
Pages: 1 ... 2592 2593 [2594] 2595 2596 ... 3842