Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2587 2588 [2589] 2590 2591 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106369 times)

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38820 on: December 30, 2014, 03:48:43 pm »

Heck, dwarven daycare. They carry their offspring into the battle. And babies can die even in normal training, especially when "mom" decides to dodge near a well...

I never use female close combat dwarves anyway, or put them in danger rooms. Nor do I ever make wells; what kind of dwarf drinks water? They can get it from a cave if they want it.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38821 on: December 30, 2014, 04:35:19 pm »

Cleaning wounds? Making soap?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #38822 on: December 30, 2014, 04:38:32 pm »

I made a new embark.
There's silk thread on the surface. Brown Recluse.

I didn't bring any doctors or weavers.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels breath: Seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38823 on: December 30, 2014, 04:43:05 pm »

The final descent into madness has led me to give up all hope, and merely speed the process of destruction along. The reservoir is breached. The river pours down the stairwell. The forges are buried in lava. The Forgotten Beast I farmed for silk is free, after all these years. The circus rolls into town to many a cheer.

I will remember Cosmosslings fondly. But all things must end.
"Anything man can imagine is a possibility in reality."
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #38824 on: December 30, 2014, 04:55:46 pm »

Cleaning wounds? Making soap?
The dwarven way is to let them die, if they managed to get injured through their armor and shield it's their own fault... that said, I keep plenty of hospital stuff available because  think the dwarven way is dumb...

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38825 on: December 30, 2014, 05:48:03 pm »

Just started a new game in the latest version, with a few mods added to add new savage creatures.

I chose a start location in a savage forest / savage ocean in the hope of encountering my new creatures, but there don't seem to be any there.

My fort started ok (despite making a mistake in my equipment selection and bringing a ton of nickel ore instead of copper ore).

I found a nice area to build my fort, with a river forming a natural barrier on two sides, and cut down a few trees and built a perimeter fence on the other two.  I  dug out an underground farm and planted some crops, and dug a shaft down through the seashore rock to avoid the aquifer in the forest biome, then expanded outwards to create some bedrooms and a dining room. Everything was going fine (well, apart from when a waxworker fell in the river and drowned, but that was no big deal).

Things started to go a bit wrong when I accidently dug up into the aquifer and flooded most of my underground accommodation, but everyone got out in time and I built some above-ground accommodation instead (and built a well room above the flooded dining room).

A wereantelope showed up, and badly beat up a child (Cerol Alniserith), but he survived, and eventually someone thought to take him to the hospital.

Traders arrived, and I sold some of my goods to them, although my broker spent so long in meetings (or asleep) that I had to let someone else do the trading.

Cerol Alniserith turned into a wereantelope and killed my woodburner.

Elves arrived, and I traded some fish and rock crafts to them in exchange for some fruit and veg.

Cerol Alniserith turned into a wereantelope again and killed my bone carver.  I probably should have done something about him, but I was busy trying to create a Viking-style great hall (combined dining-room, dormitory, and "throne room"/office), as well as digging out a new, aquifer-avoiding underground area.

Cerol turned into a wereantelope again, and killed about 16 people, earning himself the title "The Purged Famines of Metal".  I decided that he clearly carried the blessing of Armok, and had been sent to my fort to weed out the weak and convert the rest into wereantelopes.

Despite the carnage, some migrants arrived, and I set to work trying to bury and memorialize all the casualties of Cerol's rampage.

Cerol turned into a wereantelope again, killed a load of people, but then got beaten to death after turning back into a dwarf.  Final tally: 26 notable kills, including both his parents, plus 2 hens.  Several people are also injured - I don't know if any have been infected with lycanthropy.

I currently have 14 adult dwarves (plus 5 children) left in my fort, so this disaster should be survivable, as long as I don't get a tantrum/despair cascade.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38826 on: December 30, 2014, 06:05:28 pm »

Come on, migrants. I don't feel safe with the Giant Leopard prowling about up there, but I can't get through the aquifier yet; I need migrants in order to set up the requisite industries to make myself safer and get through the aquifier.
The Cyan Menace

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38827 on: December 30, 2014, 06:25:34 pm »

Questmountain finally has a heterosexual male giant kea for breeding! It took almost a year of ruthlessly exterminating ravens, eagles, chinchillas, giant chinchillas and giant wombats before another group of giant keas spawned. Luckily one male flew directly into a cage trap without further persuading.

The captured male has been trained and released into the breeding facility to replace the infertile one the elves sold me. Already one nest box has a stack of (hopefully fertilized this time) eggs from which will hatch the first members of the Questmountain Air Defence.

I truly hope this will pay off; I saw way too much trouble for such a trivial thing. The surface is littered with broken bolts from my year-long war against the nature and the dwarves are probably all greasy and wheezing from gorging themselves with giant creature tallow roasts.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38828 on: December 30, 2014, 07:12:15 pm »

Do danger rooms with wooden training spears still kill babies?

Heck, dwarven daycare. They carry their offspring into the battle. And babies can die even in normal training, especially when "mom" decides to dodge near a well...

Well actually I removed those mothers from active military.
The problem is I didn't expect they tried to get into the danger room to pickup some armor. I didn't lock the room because I wanted them to eat and sleep normally.
 ::)
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38829 on: December 30, 2014, 07:25:11 pm »

The merchants arrived. I didn't have my depot ready yet. But, when I was about ready to give into despair, one of the merchants turned into a werebear, killed the other merchant and their two caravan guards, and then fled as soon as he changed back. There's a massive pile of loot out there where they were waiting.
The Cyan Menace

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38830 on: December 30, 2014, 08:59:21 pm »

still mining some adamantine, havent ran out of the thing, and this is just picking at only one lvl of the spires. i feel like a rich. but anyways.

a bronze colossus came, dispatche incredibly quick TBH. gonna put his statue in the dinning hall :v

aaaaaand accidentally opened the hollow part. dont know how. but was able to at least seal the demons in the fortress. the militants were able even to kill like 8-9 demons. but there are still many of them lurking both in the second and third cavern layers. and inside the fort. i dont know if leaving the fort to ruin or try to stay afloat with the pare dwarves. only have 2 adults and several children, aside form the contained wereape which doesnt seem to obey the order of dismantling the wall. maybe he could be of help.

the outpost liaison talked about elevating one of the dorfs for the baron title, did it eventually. for now the fort consist of those two dorfs, as the children doesnt serve for anything, have spare creatures here too. and one of the dorfs is capable of fishing so i quess they wont die of starvation. my worry is not being able to make a bunker for the time being. need some inmigrants right now.

will use the caged animals to negotiate some stuff i hope the merchants have axes and picks so i can put the two dorfs to work ASAP.

got to trade one elephant and one tapir for two picks and an axe, now i can set some workshops i guess. mostly with wood. will finish trading the rest of the animals for some food or seeds.

EDIT: nevermind, savescumed the fort. (didnt know you could do that anyways).

if the plan comes to fruitition the idea is to make a temporal bunker while i regain forces, maybe an above ground fort. and use the cementary as the underground stair. the first cavern is closed for the demons so i can make an entrance from there. the idea is to get some rock for levers and close the remaining doors. separate a part of the demons from the rest and try to take over the remaining ones. the problem will be getting the militia. and i cannot cause a cave in.

got some inmigrants, a good chunk of them, putting them to gather food from the river and the forest and building some workshops. digging for some rock. the only issue now is the lack of metals. some of the demons have moved to the second cavern, maybe i can seal them. this would make the work easier.

the most possible issue now is lag, getting few FPS due to the demons so the most probable thing is that the fort will have to be abandoned due to FPS death.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:46:25 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38831 on: December 30, 2014, 10:58:28 pm »

the comment above is too large, had to make another.

force closed the fort. yeah it must have been a cowardly move but the FPS didnt allow me to retake the fort. the best i can do is remember where not to dig the next time. preparing defensive measures in case of a breach too.

everything going along, strands being made, cage traps around the entrances, and a bridge for locking one of the spires joined to the main stair.

have captured some creatures already. can i trade captured humanoids?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 11:48:47 pm by xaritscin »

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels breath: Seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38832 on: December 31, 2014, 12:25:19 am »

have captured some creatures already. can i trade captured humanoids?

I don't think so. If they're not domesticated, the caravans won't bring them along. They will take the cage though... And let the creature out in the process.
"Anything man can imagine is a possibility in reality."
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38833 on: December 31, 2014, 12:33:23 am »

Let's see...

I had a cyclops attack. A fisherdwarf was killed before my marksdwarf squad got to it. I haven't set up a melee squad yet and the marksdwarfs had trouble delivering a fatal blow. They did an excellent job of turning it into a pincushion though. Thankfully a human caravan was just leaving and was able to deliver the killing blow.

I also got promoted to a barony! I've almost finished setting up his rooms and whatnot. I've also made good progress at converting an abandoned quarry/mine into bedrooms for my dwarfs. They've been sleeping in a dormitory the entire time.

Then my game crashed. I'm not sure how much progress I lost. I have autosaves turned on now.
 :(

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38834 on: December 31, 2014, 09:33:16 am »

So this is what happens when you don't have standing army and werebeast shows up!

I've went down from 50 to 13, and this is after 3 migrant waves. Hope they love miasma.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?
Pages: 1 ... 2587 2588 [2589] 2590 2591 ... 3842