Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2585 2586 [2587] 2588 2589 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106234 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38790 on: December 29, 2014, 12:19:42 pm »

it seems bringing 42 steel bars was a good deal for this issue. have produced 10 axes and now 10 war hammers. next step should be either 10 swords, spears or maces.

producing some wooden crossbows too. and have enough dorfs for making a working military. althought i dont have any armor avaliable. maybe produce some wooden/bone/shell armor to compensate. wooden shields are being produced too. but the best choice is to wait for the outpost liaison.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #38791 on: December 29, 2014, 12:41:44 pm »

Managed to bypass the military combat bug by moving soldiers a bit away from the enemy. It seems creating a 8-10 tiles distance to the enemy when pacifists soldiers are stationed seems to partially fix the issue. It's a problem if enemy follows, though.

But the hurray-news is that after gazillion of wooden mug, flute, barrel, turkey bone halberds and such trash artifacts my metalsmith created something useful. Behold it's the Moveludil, "Lifegift", a steel chain leggings! After 8 fortresses I have only had a silver crossbow artifact and now this steel chain leggings that can be actually used.
Wait, does making an artifact mug cause the dwarf to become a legendary mugger?

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38792 on: December 29, 2014, 01:32:20 pm »

two squads formed, 10 axes, 10 hammers. swords and spears are left. and have space for a squad of marksdwarves.

captured a cassowary, a monitor lizard and another tapir, but dont have a breeding couple yet.

got to trade some shell crafts for gems, leather, cloth and thread which i need in case of moods. ordered for some steel bars too.

a cyclops attacked, its first target was a goat kid, strangely the animal was able to keep it busy enough in order to allow the militia to save him (it even knocked up the cyclops). spears are being finished and warehouses are being expanded. population is still small, but should have enough for making the final squads.

caught a male tapir. this opens for a working breeding program.

a wereape attacked. took a long time to take down and it was only when it reverted to its original form, now i dont know which dorfs are infected.

nevermind, now i know how to see which ones are potentially infected. also, another cyclop attack.

digging a hospital in order to quarintine the infected as fast as possible.

the injured were quarintined, time will tell if they transform back.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 03:59:33 pm by xaritscin »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38793 on: December 29, 2014, 03:45:19 pm »

Woundmerged has been quiet... too quiet.  I have been digging up candy, producing armor and weapons from it, and getting more and more baroque and unnecessary industries up and running (dyeing anyone?  Potting?)  It's been three years since my last FB or siege... Two years ago I slaughtered an expeditionary force of 10 goblins, and then caged, stripped and magmatized 35 zombies and a necromancer/consort combo.  I killed a forgotten beast, losing one engraver (twisted barefoot elf that he was) to its toxic blood.

Since then... eerie silence.

I figure the RNG is saving up a for a fire-breathing steel colossus or something.  It's only a matter of time before something awful happens, that's the first rule of DF.  Sure has been a while, though...
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38794 on: December 29, 2014, 04:06:04 pm »

as i expected, one of the injured transformed and killed the rest inside the hospital. preparing to make a quarintine room for him.

made a room but the dorfs doesnt enter the burrow, even when i activated a special alert. he just stands there in the same place. like if he was bugged or something. anyways. closed the hospital, he will stay there until i found a way to kill him.

for now the fort has 2 cassowaries, 3 tapirs, 1 monitor lizard and a pair of elephants. i could breed them since have plenty of space for them. but dont know the cost.

nevermind, the infected moved to the special room. for now a locked door had it contained but have had to wall him now.

reached the first cavern. but havent made the opening.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 05:17:19 pm by xaritscin »

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38795 on: December 29, 2014, 05:43:23 pm »

I had a small child infected by a were-"gila monster", so I did what any self-respecting Guv'nor would do: sent it into the caverns. (I had to wait until the game somehow registered it as an adult. This is a little weird, as it was about six when infected, but at some point the game decided that it had gained the appearance of something several hundred million years old. This was when it became an adult from the point of view of military orders.) The infectee survived quite a creditable amount of time and racked up a highly impressive number of kills, becoming a legendary wrestler before eventually being finished off by a cave crocodile.
Unofficial Lazy Newb Pack 43.03, Dwarf Mode only
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38796 on: December 29, 2014, 05:55:43 pm »

I'm dealing with the inevitable result of my "digl needs no justification" exploratory mining policy by invoking the Planepacked bug.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

G3Kappa

• Bay Watcher
  • You lick the Badger Boar tongue.
    • View Profile
    • Fieropa
« Reply #38797 on: December 29, 2014, 06:11:04 pm »

Urist McKappa cancels Post: Interrupted by Kea

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38798 on: December 29, 2014, 06:27:00 pm »

Okay, so forget about the were-gila. I've just seen her one-year old sister kill a cougar. One year old, and she's out there duffing up the local predators.

Lest you think this was some kind of lucky coup de grace, the dwarfling in question did the vast majority of the heavy lifting in the fight report: a war dog lent assistance, but it really was that way round. Plenty of "The Dwarven Child punches the Cougar in the head, bruising the muscle" or causing things to explode into gore, etc.

Her person report suggests, "She is incredibly muscular ... She is mighty." You don't say!
Unofficial Lazy Newb Pack 43.03, Dwarf Mode only
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38799 on: December 29, 2014, 06:28:35 pm »

have a working military composed of sworddwarves, axedwarves, hammerdwarves, marksdwarves in training and even some axelords.

havent found the rest of the caverns so for now everything is quiet on the surface. but found the layer of semimolten rock. will have to look for the magma sea soon.

pinpointing the magma sea. the layer of semimolten rock is quite earlier than in the other forts i have played.

found it at last. strangely, this 2x2 embark has 2 adamantine spires. kinda like a jackpot. but dangerous overall.

yeah it seems i dug to the second cavern, not the first one. so that one must be in another part of the embark. trying to find it. the idea is to have all the map revealed. the first cavern is being quite elusive. i dont know about the third one.

found the first cavern, i dont know if it is because of the location but its devoid of plant growth.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 11:05:11 pm by xaritscin »

G3Kappa

• Bay Watcher
  • You lick the Badger Boar tongue.
    • View Profile
    • Fieropa
« Reply #38800 on: December 29, 2014, 11:02:35 pm »

Keas aside, this fort is going really well. It's the third one I play on the same world, so I got lucky with the first migrant waves, as they contained many skilled and even legendary dorfs.

There haven't been any invaders or titans yet, and I haven't gotten to the caves because I'm still working on some stuff, like archery towers, defensive walls, traps near the entrance... That kind of stuff.

But if there's one thing that I hate, is how migrants rush in as soon as I finish the bedrooms for every single citizen. Like, I have 72 bedrooms and 68 dwarfs? Here, have 15 migrants. And make sure to build 36 more bedrooms, engrave them, place 36 beds, 36 cabinets 36 chests and don't forget the doors!
Oh well, as long as they get happy thoughts from the masterful engravings and statues, and their own fine beds, it's fine. They've already forgotten the miner who died trying to merge two small lakes into a single one, all to make sure the water for the well lasted long enough for when I was ready to breach into the caves. They've also forgotten that one hunter who got his shit handed to him by a pack of Giant Capybaras... You don't mess with those things.

And while I got golden artifact crossbows in my last fort, all I'm getting now is hatch covers and silver grates. At least I can use them.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38801 on: December 29, 2014, 11:07:45 pm »

found the third cavern. the adamantine spires reach this part too. but i dont know which one is longe. as one of them seems to be joined to the rock. the other seems to start here.

anyways. now that i have it covered. i can make a prospection. but first need to finish preparing the militia

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38802 on: December 29, 2014, 11:16:02 pm »

Planepacking complete. The artifact, "Practiceankle," is a cyclops statue worth ☼9,660,600. Not bad for a piece made almost entirely of shale.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38803 on: December 29, 2014, 11:25:56 pm »

Planepacking complete. The artifact, "Practiceankle," is a cyclops statue worth ☼9,660,600. Not bad for a piece made almost entirely of shale.

that should buy a lot of steel equipment :D

a FB has come to the second cavern. "Taba Ewombora is a towering feathered scorpion with 3 stubby tails and undulates rythmically, it has a hunger for blood".

seems like an easy pick. but not for now. he can be left wandering the cave.

the first cavern entrance is being constructed. this surroundings are quite peacefull, allowing to work without issues from underground creatures. the bunker should be walled and roofed soon.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 11:44:54 pm by xaritscin »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38804 on: December 29, 2014, 11:30:19 pm »

I had to use dfhack to clean my basements because it was infested by undead creatures.
The game ran too slowly sometimes on my old Pentium D 915 cpu.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 2585 2586 [2587] 2588 2589 ... 3842