Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2584 2585 [2586] 2587 2588 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106216 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38775 on: December 28, 2014, 08:00:46 pm »

Graknorke is right, shields are super important against fire breathers, in that they actually block the fire rather than causing the dwarves to get baked alive in bronze foil...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38776 on: December 28, 2014, 08:09:32 pm »

Yup, it's all about the shields. Material isn't even important. Just something to block the fire. In fact in this case wooden shields might be best, since they're lighter.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38777 on: December 28, 2014, 08:10:12 pm »

Graknorke is right, shields are super important against fire breathers, in that they actually block the fire rather than causing the dwarves to get baked alive in bronze foil...

the problem is that the beasts spews firebolts incredibly quickly, i could put the dorfs with proficient shield skills and they would only resist some minutes. the damned gopher charges at them too fast and makes them drop the equipment.

EDIT:

6th try, bronze shielded axedwarves with proficient skills in shield and axe. nothing again.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 08:18:00 pm by xaritscin »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38778 on: December 28, 2014, 08:16:15 pm »

Well spears and shields seems like your best bet. Keep armour light to keep them fast and eventually you should hit something important.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38779 on: December 28, 2014, 08:33:01 pm »

lost practically all the dorfs save 1. it flew in horror from the FB which went down in order to kill some troglodytes. i was able to seal the entrance and thus keep it from going to the surface this time. now i have to survive with this single buddy. at least until more migrants arrive.

will have to seal the rest of the entrances in order to keep the rest of the fauna outside.

for now im rebuilding the first rooms in order to acomodate some food. most of the fortress is untouched. save for the scattered items. it should keep the dorf alive for a time.

the beast disappeared from sight. i dont know if it became dormant or if was finally killed by the cave creatures. i have to lock down the third cavern layer but the vision doesnt reach that part. the first and second cavern are locked already. the only watersource is down there. but the dorf is more busy farming than moving the rest of the stuff and there are ghosts lurking the fortress. need to put them to rest ASAP.

the beast reappeared, it seems nothing in the cavern is capable of killing it effectively. all the beasts that enter the first layer are quickly dispatched. and the gopher has only sustained injuries in its feet. lets see if sustained damage kills it in the long run.

the ghosts killed the last dorf with extended horror it was incapable of doing anything, time to reclaim the thing again.

well the new first 7 are doing the job quickly, but i need to dispatch 4 ghosts too. and seal the third entrance. that FB sure is resistant. it hasnt died yet despite being practically crippled.

most ghosts have been put to rest and the remaining items which are avaliable have been almost secured. no inmigrants for now. and need to get wood ASAP for barrels. winter is soon to come and need drinks.

inmigrants came, and a bunch of elkbirds reached the surface from inside the fortress. they got dispatched by the war dogs. for now everything in order and got to cut some trees.

a pair of blind cave ogres moved from the deepest part up to the first lvls. made a militia with the few dwarves i could use. they didnt stand a chance against them. time to gen another world.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 10:11:13 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38780 on: December 28, 2014, 10:45:07 pm »

new world this time with even moar sites for adventure mode.

settled a fort in a moist broadleaf forest. wilderness so it isnt as hard to survive.

warehouses, farms and workshops settled. layout for dinning hall and barracks ready. now going for the first bedrooms.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:28:08 pm by xaritscin »

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38781 on: December 29, 2014, 12:10:38 am »

You were probably equipping your dwarves with too much junk.  Armor user skill is very important in that it reduces encumbrance.  If you don't have much armor skill but try to full load up your dwarves they'll be reduced to half speed or less.  This definitely effects combat as well.  So if you went with 5/4/1 shield/spear/armor... then maybe a mail shirt max as equipment? The shield is everything when fighting fire breathers.  However... you likely cant have trained enough dwarves to properly kill the damned thing even with shields.

Let this be a lesson.  Never leave an open back door into the caverns! Only breach it with a squad of BAMF's and/or a trap line.  In either case, you MUST have a way to seal the caverns in case of !FUN!  A simple bridge linked to a lever in your dining hall along with a civ alert bringing people out of hte caverns works fine. I also build FB containment rooms so I can collect/immediately neutralize them.  Essentially, you build a room in the caverns controlled by a bridge with puppy bait inside it.  When the FB arrives you close your fort but open the puppy (or goblin, if you must) room and let the FB wander in.  Then you slam the door (bridge) shut behind the bastard.  For ranged attackers (fireball) the bait needs to be behind a partial wall to obstruct line of site.  Once "trapped" you can build a series of tunnels (baited with more puppies) leading the FB to wherever you want... like to play with the nice goblins that showed up to party! Or put it under your throne room and toss elves in while your king laughs.  Up to you. 

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #38782 on: December 29, 2014, 12:46:32 am »

An iron or any metal for that matter is no where to be found
I'm sad
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38783 on: December 29, 2014, 12:58:06 am »

You were probably equipping your dwarves with too much junk.  Armor user skill is very important in that it reduces encumbrance.  If you don't have much armor skill but try to full load up your dwarves they'll be reduced to half speed or less.  This definitely effects combat as well.  So if you went with 5/4/1 shield/spear/armor... then maybe a mail shirt max as equipment? The shield is everything when fighting fire breathers.  However... you likely cant have trained enough dwarves to properly kill the damned thing even with shields.

Let this be a lesson.  Never leave an open back door into the caverns! Only breach it with a squad of BAMF's and/or a trap line.  In either case, you MUST have a way to seal the caverns in case of !FUN!  A simple bridge linked to a lever in your dining hall along with a civ alert bringing people out of hte caverns works fine. I also build FB containment rooms so I can collect/immediately neutralize them.  Essentially, you build a room in the caverns controlled by a bridge with puppy bait inside it.  When the FB arrives you close your fort but open the puppy (or goblin, if you must) room and let the FB wander in.  Then you slam the door (bridge) shut behind the bastard.  For ranged attackers (fireball) the bait needs to be behind a partial wall to obstruct line of site.  Once "trapped" you can build a series of tunnels (baited with more puppies) leading the FB to wherever you want... like to play with the nice goblins that showed up to party! Or put it under your throne room and toss elves in while your king laughs.  Up to you.

i had a bunker-like entrance to all the caverns, but the lever was next to the door. the dorfs didnt move to pull it, even when giving it the "do now order"...

oh well. lesson learned.

for now the jungle fort goes on. well built. some cage traps. an idiotic metalsmith spent one of my embark steel ingots for an artifact flask. caught a female tapir.

Vyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38784 on: December 29, 2014, 05:48:04 am »

A troop of undead neighbors decided to pay SculptWalls a visit. Marksmen to the walls, up the front drawbridge. It was a bit of a standoff, since I know they got guns, and they know I got guns (only my guns aren't actually loaded yet), so nobody wants to close in first. A standoff, until a lone dorf flat out jumped the fortification, dropping straight into the river, hung onto a bridge, then climbed up, ran half a mile of jungle and then charged an alligator with his bare fists. Which actually scared it so much he is now furiously kicking its unconscious body. This guy, he is getting a promotion - his own melee squad and a "Rambo" nickname on top of it. If the undead don't notice him first that is.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:38:09 am by Vyro »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38785 on: December 29, 2014, 08:13:48 am »

The caravans still got attacked every year.
There were an undead giant peregrine and an undead great horn owl there.
Unlike those peaceful(relatively) undead reindeer, they were quite aggressive.

Good news: free goods to loot
Bad news: my dorfs got attacked when they tried to fetch the dropped goods

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38786 on: December 29, 2014, 11:21:04 am »

having a good farming industry in the jungle. plenty of booze too. it seems i dont have metals for now. so have to rely in the steel bars i brought on embark. kinda complicated. so i'll go for steel axes. and some wooden crossbows. there's no goblin civ nearby so the only way of getting more metals is via trading.

no caverns for now.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #38787 on: December 29, 2014, 11:27:15 am »

Caught a giant olm in the caverns, as well as  a second giant toad. Now I can start breeding giant toads.

In other news, a bunch of dwarves got injured by giant gray langurs and the hospital got some use. Luckily I actually have it stocked, so none of the victims were injured for long...

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38788 on: December 29, 2014, 11:43:22 am »

i had a bunker-like entrance to all the caverns, but the lever was next to the door. the dorfs didnt move to pull it, even when giving it the "do now order"...

oh well. lesson learned.

for now the jungle fort goes on. well built. some cage traps. an idiotic metalsmith spent one of my embark steel ingots for an artifact flask. caught a female tapir.

Put all levers in your dining room or create a "control room" with a burrowed in dwarf.  An idle dwarf has to run over and flip the lever, so if there are no idle dorfs nearby....

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38789 on: December 29, 2014, 12:00:41 pm »

Managed to bypass the military combat bug by moving soldiers a bit away from the enemy. It seems creating a 8-10 tiles distance to the enemy when pacifists soldiers are stationed seems to partially fix the issue. It's a problem if enemy follows, though.

But the hurray-news is that after gazillion of wooden mug, flute, barrel, turkey bone halberds and such trash artifacts my metalsmith created something useful. Behold it's the Moveludil, "Lifegift", a steel chain leggings! After 8 fortresses I have only had a silver crossbow artifact and now this steel chain leggings that can be actually used.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 12:03:06 pm by Kuikka »
Pages: 1 ... 2584 2585 [2586] 2587 2588 ... 3842