Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2581 2582 [2583] 2584 2585 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105950 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38730 on: December 26, 2014, 04:47:38 pm »

rearmed two of the militias with spare dorfs and started to dig the spire, fortunately, i havent found the hollow part yet. so i got to produce a large quantity of ore. built another workshop for strand extraction. but im having problem with the large amount of corpses and stuff that was left after the FB attack. i have a refuse stockpile almost full too.

refuse stockpile is full now, dwarves are so busy they dont dump it into the quantum storage for elimination. loosing more dwarves to the sequels of the FB attack. had to finish the training of the militia in order to cover the lack of workforce.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 05:50:30 pm by xaritscin »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #38731 on: December 26, 2014, 06:05:11 pm »

My dwarves are getting a bit uppity about our lack of a well. One has just produced an artifact green glass chain to go with our artifact gold bucket.
That would make a sick-ass well. It would be off the chain. He. He. Puns.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38732 on: December 26, 2014, 06:38:40 pm »

received another goblin siege, prepared the militia for 10 axes and 10 crossbows, i hope this helps me. got a migrant wave and population is at 70+ again. this should clear more of the stuff to do. no problems except for the death spiral, many dwarves are dying due to syndromes i guess.

finally breached hell, at last. it was a long time messing around, i got good amounts of adamantine but i was too much bored with it. and FPS were killing me. now i just watch the demons ravage the underground as they reach the surface.

it ended in flames of glory, a shame i wasnt able to seal the entrance before they escaped.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 08:14:29 pm by xaritscin »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38733 on: December 26, 2014, 08:45:29 pm »

I butchered a crundle but before the dorfs brought its scale into the safe room, the scale animated.

I sent all dorfs after it. It attacked a miner who was attacked by a dog skin before. The fight was fierce. The miner got his teeth smashed and he felt vengeful for joining the conflict. He then chopped the scale zombie into bits using his copper pick.

Well now the miner was stressed.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38734 on: December 27, 2014, 06:10:47 am »

Procrastinating on the big test, i spun something off my toggle memory cell. While i couldn't come up with a decent way to make it smaller or more powerful, the core principle looked like just the thing for a powerless ring counter (could be used as a program counter or somesuch):
Code: [Select]
z+1     z+0
▼▼╗     ══###
#.║.    #####
.#GH╗   ##▲▲#
..#.^   #####

G - Grate over down ramp (engraved with EW track)
H - Hatch over down ramp (engraved with EW track)
^ - pressure plate on flat NS or SE track

Of course, there are several more of those covered pits; the cart proceeds from Northwest to Southeast through the counter.

There's one hatch and one grate over each pit, all operated by the same pulsed signal. Between signals, the cart is in one of the pits, bouncing back and forth. When a signal arrives, the hatch opens, cart exits, takes the corner to the south and proceeds to the next station. There it'll stand on the grate, since grates have a 100 step delay, so they haven't opened yet. After ~100 steps, all grates open - and all hatches close. The cart falls off the grate into the pit below, but cannot leave because the hatch's closed already. Another 100 steps later, the grate closes and the counter is ready for the next signal. It's important to use grates (or floor bars) for this purpose and not bridges - bridges toss stuff around and can throw the cart off the pit instead of dumping it inside.

Output signals would be sent by pressure plates on the tiles southeast of the hatch. This ensures that the on and off signals are far enough apart to operate a bridge, floodgate, grate or bars (the tile just outside the pit is a checkpoint and the cart crosses it in a single turn, which _toggles_ 100-delay buildings instead of "cycling" them).

For added weirdness, retracting bridges can be built over the tiles just outside the pits. When retracted, the cart will simply round the corner. When extended, the bridge obscures the corner and the cart travels in a straight line, allowing cart extraction, aborting processing or implementing program "jumps". I built SE track corners instead of straight NS track directly north of the grates to enable alternative pathing.

Tested and proven.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #38735 on: December 27, 2014, 06:54:13 am »

I just got a migrant with one of the least useful skills for a just-started agricultural fort: gelding. No other useful skills.

I only have one breeding pair of each animal, I'm already likely enough to be screwed by orientation. I don't need to geld any of them.

Oh hey, I do have a use for him. Office work ahoy!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38736 on: December 27, 2014, 04:16:18 pm »

I had a dwarf die of old age. Of actual old age. No violence. No vampires (which was my first suspicion). No Unfortunate Accidents. No inexplicable encounters of the hairy kind. Just peacefully passed away of being too old.

It was such an unexpected death (and it was my broker-bookkeeper, to boot) that I had to use deathcause to make sure.
Unofficial Lazy Newb Pack 43.03, Dwarf Mode only
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38737 on: December 27, 2014, 04:23:28 pm »

I had a dwarf die of old age. Of actual old age. No violence. No vampires (which was my first suspicion). No Unfortunate Accidents. No inexplicable encounters of the hairy kind. Just peacefully passed away of being too old.

It was such an unexpected death (and it was my broker-bookkeeper, to boot) that I had to use deathcause to make sure.

It's always stunning when that happens isn't it?

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38738 on: December 27, 2014, 04:55:21 pm »

I think it really does say something about the community that we're all surprised when a dwarf bites the dust from natural causes.

...Probably that we push our little beards waaaaay too hard. Or that we're all a bunch of psychopaths.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38739 on: December 27, 2014, 05:39:58 pm »

I think it really does say something about the community that we're all surprised when a dwarf bites the dust from natural causes.

...Probably that we push our little beards waaaaay too hard. Or that we're all a bunch of psychopaths.
Definitely the latter.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38740 on: December 27, 2014, 06:21:37 pm »

Best way to deal with a fire-breathing hill titan with breached defenses as well as fire and smoke everywhere, anyone?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38741 on: December 27, 2014, 06:35:46 pm »

Best way to deal with a fire-breathing hill titan with breached defenses as well as fire and smoke everywhere, anyone?
Carve cave-in on his head. :) Or just cave in trap in other chamber and lead him there.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38742 on: December 27, 2014, 07:29:30 pm »

In 127, Woundmerged was founded by the Knife of Stroking of the Creative Furnaces.

In 129, 35 dead dwarves and goblins invaded, accompanied by two necromancers and a necromancer's consort.

In 129, 35 dead dwarves and goblins and a necromancer and his consort were caged, stripped of all valuables, and flung into magma to ride their wooden cages into hell.  The final necromancer escaped.

When come back, bring pie.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38743 on: December 27, 2014, 08:19:43 pm »

Just started a new fort after plenty of time without playing. Got it off to a fast start and got basic utilities set up and it's already stable food-wise with some good farms. Also I got my first artifact from a child in Autumn. I was so excited until...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
-_- well you'll be useful? in 10 years or so.
The only problem with The Next Generation was Wesley never had a terrible airlock or engineering bay related accident that left just slush.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38744 on: December 27, 2014, 09:31:53 pm »

My military was beating zombies, decided to check how's the forgotten beast doing in the basement, and came back to see the result on the surface.

Combat bug struck again: none of my guys was fighting anymore and everyone were eventually butchered like sheeps. It should have been an easy victory.

SIGH.
Pages: 1 ... 2581 2582 [2583] 2584 2585 ... 3842