Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2539 2540 [2541] 2542 2543 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101396 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38100 on: November 20, 2014, 05:11:44 pm »

large influx of inmigrants to the fortress, moved the livestock to the caverns, new layout of rooms allow for quick creation of dwellings for the newcomers, and im full stocked with rocks and wood for industry. found a vein of tetrahedryte but its in the place im building the noble housings. so, guess will still have to depend in gold (not like i cannot get everything with it).....

nothing in the caverns to be worried, except a Jabberer that killed 6 of my dwarves yesterday, it was quickly dispatched by the military.

found the magma sea early and an adamantine spire, it must be the only one in this 2x2 map, and i have been able to make stairs inside of it, mining it from the inside. no breach into the HFS yet.

edite: NOPE, after 4-5 floors of adamantine y broke up one of the walls of the hollow part. Urist style...is it possible to reclaim a demon infested fort?

Better yet, what happens to all those demons now that world history is enabled? It would be cool to breach the HFS, let the demons kill you, play a fort on the other side of the world for a decade or so, and then check to see what those clowns have been up to.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38101 on: November 20, 2014, 06:18:02 pm »

One dead tarantula beast from the depths below and a concerted effort to focus all construction efforts on one project at a time has resulted in momentous progress being made! Tower Likot currently houses anywhere between 74-148 Dwarves, undead attacks have not occurred in the last 8 months and the roof of the memorial hall could stand to actually be completed in this year or the next. The temptation to dig deeper grows ever stronger though...

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38102 on: November 20, 2014, 06:26:33 pm »

A recruit inherited a barony. She immediately mandated the creation of gauntlets, in a fort completely devoid of metal useable for armor. Thankfully a caravan arrived with some metal toys.

I've also started throwing any non-masterwork furniture in the magma sea and replacing it with encrusted masterworks.

My duchess was a soldier too. But she always mandated picks and totems.
So it is easier since I can melt a pick and still get one "bars".

Duchess: WHY we still have ONE pick? I think you fufill my mandate every time?
Urist McSmith: Umm, that...
Maybe that's WHY she always demanded picks.  :D
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38103 on: November 20, 2014, 08:34:28 pm »

Ok, so punching a hole into the bottom of the ocean is _not_ a good idea. It murders your FPS and achieves nothing - water flows in so quickly from the ~500 edge tiles (each generating 7/7 water pretty much every turn) that the actual ocean floor tiles never go under 4/7ish. And thanks to all that flow, you get single-digit FPS, forever. It might be possible to build a construction that extends into normally waterfilled non-bottom tiles from the side, which can eventually be submerged by stoppering up the drain. But at ~5FPS not really worth it. I decided to embark in the mountains instead and engrave _everything_. That's gonna take a while.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38104 on: November 21, 2014, 03:18:35 am »

An outpost liaison for my civilization suddenly poofed into existence and visited the fort with the third-year caravan. Despite the supposed real population pools of .40.xx the game seems to happily generate citizens and nobles at will.

The good news is that Questmountain is now a barony. I suspect that Domas Grouppainted, the baron of Questmountain is actually the only noble in The Regal Papers ruling an existing fort.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38105 on: November 21, 2014, 03:30:45 am »

Ok, so punching a hole into the bottom of the ocean is _not_ a good idea. It murders your FPS and achieves nothing - water flows in so quickly from the ~500 edge tiles (each generating 7/7 water pretty much every turn) that the actual ocean floor tiles never go under 4/7ish. And thanks to all that flow, you get single-digit FPS, forever. It might be possible to build a construction that extends into normally waterfilled non-bottom tiles from the side, which can eventually be submerged by stoppering up the drain. But at ~5FPS not really worth it. I decided to embark in the mountains instead and engrave _everything_. That's gonna take a while.

Yeah, I had a 100+ level waterfall and it slowed down things like a cow. The sink I used was an underground lake.
By the way, now did you do that without killing your miner?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38106 on: November 21, 2014, 04:14:47 am »

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

Oh great. Time to have some fun.

So I order my marksdwarves to get in the archery tower, activate the danger alert, and order the melee squads to wait outside. Then, one of the marksdwarves charges outside, making me think "what the fuck is that suicidal archer doing!?" before he starts beating the carp out of the goblins, killing 5 and injuring 2, leaving 4 more goblins for the rest of the militia to mop up before he finally gets killed in after the end of the third martial trance.

>.>

I ordered a gold sarcophagus to be made and a big-ass room for his burial, but oh my god...

I think this dwarf has just saved the life of this fortress.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38107 on: November 21, 2014, 06:48:37 am »

I tried smash-draining my water reservoir with a lever on repeat and a raising bridge - it did overcome 2 tiles exposed below an aquifer as long as it lasted. Should be possible to use this for space efficient draining, if you connect this to a repeater or you could make a fortress that has to drain water permanently and drowns when no one is available to do the drainage work aka lever pulling. Only marginally if at all more unrealistic than draining directly into "off-map" rock.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38108 on: November 21, 2014, 07:45:32 am »

Ok, so punching a hole into the bottom of the ocean is _not_ a good idea. It murders your FPS and achieves nothing -

Yeah, I had a 100+ level waterfall and it slowed down things like a cow. The sink I used was an underground lake.
By the way, now did you do that without killing your miner?

Dug out a 2x3 funnel directly under the ocean floor, built a catwalk to the spot just above, dropped 2x3 constructed floor in via levered support. Floor with open space below gets punched through by cave-ins. 8)

I got zero FPS for a minute or so while all the "free" water (more than one z above floor) drained, after that a steady five. I had a _lot_ of ocean.

@^ Liquid crushing's also a very convenient way to clean out excess magma and to make fluid logic installations accessible for maintenance.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38109 on: November 21, 2014, 08:30:44 am »

@^ Liquid crushing's also a very convenient way to clean out excess magma and to make fluid logic installations accessible for maintenance.

Yep, realised that much in my experiments. And it can do much more, controlled smashing opens all kind of possibilities for counting, controlling wave repeaters etc. and it combines well with no-drain advanced fluid logic. ... withdraws from society.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38110 on: November 21, 2014, 06:05:58 pm »

I have a big hole where i send my unwanted dwarves, and one of them is my vampire mayor. Some dwarves are killed during the flight, but many die after a long time of agony pain and suffering.
My vampire mayor is "living" in this hole, and has 10 lines of "is horrified by XXXX".
But his thought line is

"How great it is to be surrounded by family"

I love this game !

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38111 on: November 21, 2014, 07:19:01 pm »

A giant winged slug FB came. For some reason, the FB didn't path through my long corridor designed for it, instead, it targeted a door, but the door was at the bottom of a two levels stair well so it stood upstairs and couldn't attack.
I rallied my squads outside the door. When I opened the door, all those lords/masters swarmed on it and hacked it into pieces.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Pakkanen

• Bay Watcher
  • Try some alchemy!!
    • View Profile
    • Second Phase Software
« Reply #38112 on: November 21, 2014, 08:42:03 pm »

Bronzeriver.
A weredeer attacked and killed 10+ dwarves and all of my dogs. Then it transformed back into an elf and my hunting dog killed it.

However my fort is almost 3 years old and this is the only interesting event. I'm worried, there are no elven or human caravans even though the embark screen shows them and goblins as neighbors. There hasn't been a single siege,snatcher or thief.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?
~Volvo kauhee laiva tehoo täytyy olla liikkuu joskus BMW ei ikinä perä vaivaa mese joo mut ei riitä hitsi lanka voi otta sellasen

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38113 on: November 21, 2014, 08:53:27 pm »

Bronzeriver.
A weredeer attacked and killed 10+ dwarves and all of my dogs. Then it transformed back into an elf and my hunting dog killed it.

However my fort is almost 3 years old and this is the only interesting event. I'm worried, there are no elven or human caravans even though the embark screen shows them and goblins as neighbors. There hasn't been a single siege,snatcher or thief.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Distance.

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
  • Traveling at the speed of Urist (not that fast)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38114 on: November 22, 2014, 12:46:59 am »

So I was building a pit. My miner was digging down deeper and deeper. He made it 5-zlevels down when all of a sudden digging stopped. In fact, I couldn't find the little guy. After much searching I found him, drinking some ale in the meeting hall. He had to climb/jump 5 z-levels to get to that alcohol. Nothing gets between a dwarf and his alcohol.
Pages: 1 ... 2539 2540 [2541] 2542 2543 ... 3842