Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2538 2539 [2540] 2541 2542 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101383 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38086 on: November 19, 2014, 07:50:15 am »

Bah. The exile king who I was planning to invite to my fort died of old age and was replaced by a generated noble.

So much for having a bit of history in a fort populated by dwarves who are essentially clones without past or family.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38087 on: November 19, 2014, 09:47:19 am »

20 some trolls and identical amount of goblins attacked my fort.  It was an easy fight.
After that, a new elven caravan and a new diplomat arrived (the old ones were killed).
I glanced at the diplomat's name:  Niri Skirtsdike ::)
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38088 on: November 19, 2014, 10:27:50 am »

A three year-old child had a fey-mood, made an earring and thus achieved his life dream.
So then it's...
All downhill from here.

Chimpanzee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38089 on: November 19, 2014, 10:39:53 am »

A cave crocodile invaded the stairwell through a cavern breach I've left for the dorfs to clean themselves. (The only biome with water has acrid sludge that causes blisters and vomiting.) A bunch of civilians knocked the crocodile unconscious but it was impossible to kill it. Eventually, I had to call the axedwarf and she hurried down. The crocodile eventually died, apparently to bleeding.
A while later another cave crocodile attacked the serpent man tribe that dwells in the first cavern layer. A tower-cap blowdart was just enough to knock it unconscious, but it refused to die. There was no chance of tearing its brain or lungs. The serpent men's venom barely had any effect, the crocodile lived through the paralysis. Eventually, I found 5 Serpent Man corpses in a large pool of blood, and the crocodile had already escaped.

"I am a Legandary Weaver! Nobody handles cloth like me"
"Yeah, that's great. Hey, are you done? If so, we need to smelt this ten thousand large load of hematite. I'll see you next month."
"WHAT AN OUTRAGE! I AM A LIVING LEGEND! I SHOULD BE WEAVING"
"That's nice. Tell you what, pretend you are weaving metal out of this ore. Now get to work."

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38090 on: November 19, 2014, 12:00:39 pm »

settling in the limit between a seren and a sinister biome, plenty of wood and water on the serene part, no problems from the sinister one. at least not yet. miners are digging the stockpile rooms, and building a bridge to cross the river. 

Trupik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38091 on: November 19, 2014, 03:02:01 pm »

The Wereelk has come! Having at mind the horrible tales of the dwarven fortress of Bannerflashes (once rich beyond dreams, now abandoned), I did not hesitate with the entrance bridge this time. The bad news is that a migrant wave entered the map only one day prior to this. There were 21 of them and they did not make it into the safety in time. I shall make them nice memorial slabs, once the dying ends. After last full moon two of them are confirmed beasts and nine are dead. I can hear the survivors knocking and begging for food, but I'm scared to open the gate.

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #38092 on: November 19, 2014, 03:32:05 pm »

I'm embarking right next to a goblin fortress with 10,000 gobbos and 5,000 trolls. Fikuk Dural, Field of Honor, may you write dwarven history - one way or another.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 03:37:18 pm by Col_Jessep »
Just kids...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38093 on: November 19, 2014, 04:47:17 pm »

Building a "battery" for advanced fluid logic (larix-type drainage free fluid logic) with maintenance facilities (ability to cut off each section separately). But this type of project feels like a megaproject with only 24 dwarves in my fort.

@Zorromorph: Good luck. Not easy in current versions. Make sure to apply all marriage science available.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38094 on: November 19, 2014, 07:56:40 pm »

the serenes/sinister challenge ended quickly due to undead ravens, started another one a few tiles far from a necromancer tower, received the neighbors on the first months and suffered several deaths from a single undead. the fort didnt have ores on the underground either (not even in the first cavern i dug).

the new start is a Joyous Wild Savannah, no watersource, but the booze and plants should keep the dorfs alive.

got a large surplus of gold some layers deeper, got just enough booze to keep the population afloat and bought some weapons, have a working military and no deaths nor sieges for now. reached the first cavern layer. it has a large body of water that has been channeled to a small reservoir near the main stairs. the entrnace has been walled but needs to be accomodated in order to work as an outpost in case of unwelcomed visitors. my hunters have been taking advance of this hunting elk birds and not even cave ogres have survived to my militia in action.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 11:03:43 pm by xaritscin »

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38095 on: November 20, 2014, 02:57:58 am »

A recruit inherited a barony. She immediately mandated the creation of gauntlets, in a fort completely devoid of metal useable for armor. Thankfully a caravan arrived with some metal toys.

I've also started throwing any non-masterwork furniture in the magma sea and replacing it with encrusted masterworks.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38096 on: November 20, 2014, 03:24:17 am »

A recruit inherited a barony. She immediately mandated the creation of gauntlets, in a fort completely devoid of metal useable for armor. Thankfully a caravan arrived with some metal toys.

I've also started throwing any non-masterwork furniture in the magma sea and replacing it with encrusted masterworks.

My duchess was a soldier too. But she always mandated picks and totems.
So it is easier since I can melt a pick and still get one "bars".

Duchess: WHY we still have ONE pick? I think you fufill my mandate every time?
Urist McSmith: Umm, that...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 03:28:19 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38097 on: November 20, 2014, 03:48:23 am »

My aboveground fortress has a giant watertower which could be used to fill the cistern of my well or for other purposes. Then came winter and all the water inside froze since it was aboveground. No problem I thought, at least my well and cistern are underground so they haven't frozen. After a while spring arrived and while I was concentrating on building new housing I suddenly saw a few "the cat has drowned" messages. Looking at my food cellar where my cats were patrolling I suddenly found it to be filled with water. Water was also spewing forth from the hole that used to be my old well. Apparently hatches deconstruct when covered with frozen water and when spring came my entire 10x10x5 watertower emptied itself in my rather small well. Whoops.

ToXey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38098 on: November 20, 2014, 07:51:54 am »

I remember a fortress which was in a sini'ster biome, and it rained goblin blood all over the place. I think I quit early because of some unknown reason, but the underground cave was perfect for dwarves to grow their plump-helmets.

Can't remember if dwarves dislike the raining of goblin blood or not.
-I slew Zolak! -It was inevitable.
-Any troubles? -Bandit Zolak is harassing our hamlet!
-Tell me about Zolak. -Zolak is dead.
-What do you think about me? -You are killer. You are also unhinged. You have perpetrated a violent attack upon Zolak.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38099 on: November 20, 2014, 10:16:02 am »

large influx of inmigrants to the fortress, moved the livestock to the caverns, new layout of rooms allow for quick creation of dwellings for the newcomers, and im full stocked with rocks and wood for industry. found a vein of tetrahedryte but its in the place im building the noble housings. so, guess will still have to depend in gold (not like i cannot get everything with it).....

nothing in the caverns to be worried, except a Jabberer that killed 6 of my dwarves yesterday, it was quickly dispatched by the military.

found the magma sea early and an adamantine spire, it must be the only one in this 2x2 map, and i have been able to make stairs inside of it, mining it from the inside. no breach into the HFS yet.

edite: NOPE, after 4-5 floors of adamantine y broke up one of the walls of the hollow part. Urist style...is it possible to reclaim a demon infested fort?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 12:44:59 pm by xaritscin »
Pages: 1 ... 2538 2539 [2540] 2541 2542 ... 3842