Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2526 2527 [2528] 2529 2530 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100412 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37905 on: November 09, 2014, 12:32:29 pm »

Just sent my military after a few elephants. I mean, Urist McSworddwarf. He has been danger room trained, so he can be a set example for everyone training at the barracks. Everyone else is too weak to handle elephants. But he managed to fight four at once and remain unscathed. There are trunks, ears, and heads lying everywhere. He even decided to punch one to death instead of use his sword at one point.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37906 on: November 09, 2014, 05:05:51 pm »

Given the very sudden lack of savage animals trying to gouge out my Dwarves' eyeballs I decided to go on a Forgotten Beast hunt. Unfortunately I could only reach 1 out of 20 various megabeasts roaming around my map, I'm already loving the prospect of what reclaim parties will have to face.

Insanity X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37907 on: November 09, 2014, 11:53:10 pm »

A migrant has arrived
He like dogs for their loyalty, but brought his pet cat with him
He is grouchy when rained on, and expresses this by saying "I've been rained on. It makes me so grouchy!"  >:(

Welcome to The Fellowship of Martyrs
And the lord said unto John, "Come forth, and receive eternal life." but, John came fifth and received a toaster
Urist McMason, Mason cancels Build Important Wall: Making rock mugs.
It was inevitable.
My succession world turn.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37908 on: November 10, 2014, 01:01:35 am »

Raremanors got it's first invader, who made the mistake of picking a fight with four armed dwarves who've been training constantly out of boredom for the last two years. It was the elf-turned-weremongoose Pimra Cusithom. For some reason, my axedwarves felt a need to chop off everything else and smashing its tail into an unrecognizable mass before decapitating it.

I also broke down and cheated to get past the (9 layer thick!) Aquifer, and found a treasure trove of ores and other stone as a result: hematite and limonite, tetrahedrite, native silver, cassiterite, small amounts of platinum, gypsum, and marble. All it's missing to be a perfect location now is coal. I can also begin gradually upgrading all my soldiers' equipment to iron, since the marble is down quite a ways. In celebration of this, the precious steel was used to make a commemorative statue of our Broker Uruf's appointment to the position, a role she has excelled in, and a metal-plated town square of sorts was built outside the mayoral residence and Noble's manorhouse.

Not going to bother moving the population, but now I can work on at least building a paved road and flooring over thier bedrooms so they don't have to worry about sand in their bedsheets. After that if an attack of some kind doesn't come within the year, I'll retire and set out for elsewhere.

EDIT: Well.

Wasn't expecting this. Wonder what the joke is? Besides kitten rot.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37909 on: November 10, 2014, 02:02:49 am »

after seeing the above thought screen, i suddenly realized that my fort has over 100 residents, and no children...

curious.

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #37910 on: November 10, 2014, 04:14:17 am »

...over 100 residents, and no children...
Dwarven battle monks!
Just kids...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37911 on: November 10, 2014, 04:29:06 am »

*looks at wierds board comment and avatar*

(...just had to edit this twice because I kept correcting the spelling of your name...)

Curious indeed.

So, while playing with the fully-waterfall lined volcano and getting it ready for the population cap to be lifted from the initial 30, I noticed how amusing it is having the caverns open directly to the surface by way of a volcano tube around which my dorfs spend a lot of time enjoying the waterfall mists through the fortifications, due to their bedrooms and the two statue gardens being positioned in the same big room around the tube.

Since the civilians all carry a crossbow around, this means anything which decides to try and bypass the difficulties of climbing smoothed walls by flying up will generally attract the attention of every dorf in the room for an instant shooting gallery. THEN after they get knocked down into the waters below, the dorfs keep plunking bolts into it until it gives out or is lucky enough to end up near one of the sides it can escape into the caverns from...

Except this guy is waiting there:
Knifeambers the Bat Man, and Grooveclobbers the Tall Target, his black cap spear, with 100 kills under his... lack of belt.

He avoids the area right under the volcano tube, so I don't gotta worry about him getting plunked by stray dorf bolts, and absolutely wrecks whatever shows up. Recently he seems to be semi-retired as he just kinda stands in this one little alcove over a submerged ramp and chills. The flooding finally shut off the northwest part of the caverns entirely, watched a bunch of crundles and a troll die there earlier, while the ones that make it to where Knifeambers sits end up getting stabbed in the brain repeatedly.

Was very amused when I saw one creature actually make it up past the dorf shooting gallery briefly... noticed this:
Where else would a crossbow bolt get stuck in a hungry head, I am now wondering?

Oh, and having pets roaming the area where the military is training still gives this occasionally:

I recall that being mentioned in the child care thread as a possible way to get some more skillups from dorflets on top of the observer training they get.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37912 on: November 10, 2014, 01:24:53 pm »

:o :o :o I have two candy spires; they run from level -20 to +83, and 85 respectively.  :o :o :o

Newly generated fort on 0.34.11; multiple raw mods involved, including two 'evil twin' races (gobbos and dorfs), and the last one being adding one dye plant for each of the 16 colors, because I had a strange mood last night.

I've also only recently installed DFHack in 0.34.11, and I'm using it everywhere like any normal person with a new toy. Which ties with why I ran 'Embark Anywhere' and went in a full mountain biome.

So, question: is this sort of candyness normal in a mountain boime, or did I manage to induce a wonderful, wonderful glitch?
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37913 on: November 10, 2014, 01:30:11 pm »

So, question: is this sort of candyness normal in a mountain boime, or did I manage to induce a wonderful, wonderful glitch?

I've had as few as one and as many as four. That's about average for any embark.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37914 on: November 10, 2014, 01:40:02 pm »

I've had as few as one and as many as four. That's about average for any embark.

No, not in terms of number; in terms of sheer height. I have never seen a candy spire stretching > 100 levels before.

(there's a third one, which ends ~-5 btw; so all in all pretty much the average number for a 3x3 embark).

[edit hook] Will post a save as soon as I register to DFFD; I was sure I had an account :wtf:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:58:15 pm by StrikaAmaru »
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37915 on: November 10, 2014, 01:46:00 pm »

No, not in terms of number; in terms of sheer height. I have never seen a candy spire stretching > 100 levels before.

(there's a third one, btw; so pretty much average for a 3x3 embark)

[edit hook] Will post a save as soon as I register to DFFD; I was sure I had an account :wtf:

It doesn't really sound unusual to me, they can get pretty lengthy if my memory is right. Had a few that poked up into the caverns before.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37916 on: November 10, 2014, 01:57:29 pm »

It doesn't really sound unusual to me, they can get pretty lengthy if my memory is right. Had a few that poked up into the caverns before.

That's what these two do; I was just shocked that they stretched 100 levels until the 3rd cavern... mnh, I'm getting over it, now.

Prospector says I have 9005 raw addie stones. I have more adamantine than galena and malachite, combined. Planning to build a thriving fort, train everybody, equip them, and manually slaughter hell.

>>>Save <<<

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37917 on: November 10, 2014, 03:58:52 pm »

Woohoo! I caught a GCS! Now I just have to build a silk farm! Oh joyous of days! Immense wealth shall fall upon my fort now in the form of Masterwork GCS Silk clothing!
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37918 on: November 10, 2014, 04:10:58 pm »

Silentthunders' war against hunger and thirst is for now a victorious war. With the involvement of the Fort's children in the agriculture industry and the growing expansion of the alcohol industry the Fort now stocks enough alcohol to last the Fort's population of 175 Dwarves almost 44 seasons and enough accrued crops and bacon that the Dwarves would go without starvation for another 30 seasons. It is safe to say now that even if the Metropolis were to lose all of her main soldier/farmers she would be able to endure for as long as Dwarves still stood. For 65 seasons the Fort has stood under siege and it is now wholly independent from the outside world and its caravans. I wonder if it'll take a 100 seasons more of siege before the necromancers give up and die, allowing the outside world to once more greet these walls. I sorely miss the goblins and their feeble attempts to crush this mountain.

Upon looking at my glorious food stocks, I did notice one potentially fatal error. I am assuming that the Grand Stockpiles will always be accessible to the Dwarves. Dwarves who end up trapped in any of the other remote and distant sub-Fortress complexes would be rather besot with perilous hunger and all of the Dwarves' supplies are in one basket. If a potent enemy makes it through to the stockpiles or should the stockpiles be flooded with fire or water it would soon all be over. Bolts, bars, seeds, food, drink and even water would be wasted in plentiful numbers and the Dwarves would dwindle away as each resource was depleted. There are three ways to reach the Grand Stockpiles:
  • The waterways, cavern critters that use the Quarry to ascend to the first cavern layer can potentially enter through the Rodendome and into the cistern. Unlikely, but possible. Much more likely is that they use the Quarry to break into the Magma Works, destroying the metalworking industry and using an obsidian farm water pipe to reach the cistern.
  • The Northeast Barracks. The back entrance of the Fort, it guards the approach from the Quarry to the surface world and is itself incredibly close to the surface world. If the garrison were to be overcome the hospital would be lost, the armoury would be lost, House Likot lost and all of the Northern towers jeopardized. I would permanently seal it off if it didn't deny the Dwarves quick access to the East and to the Quarry. To make matters worse from the armoury there is a direct route to Fort Dine. Fort Dine is formidable but a foe could potentially break down the stairwells into the stockpiles as Fort Dine's fortifications are mostly facing inwards, not expecting an attack from the armoury.
  • The corpse yard. Deep within the Grand Stockpiles are my refuse piles where I keep my corpses and my imprisoned necromancers. The plan is that in the event of the Fort being lost the Necromancers can be released and the Fort's resources rendered unusable by invaders. However, should a ghost or gremlin be able to pull the lever that releases the Necromancers, there may be a problem.

It seems that the Fort I boast as being impregnable is not yet nearly as stout as I expect it to be. I'll be making improvements.
But I'll keep the Necromancer lever. Every Fort needs a self-destruct button.
In other words I am neurotically searching my Fortress complexes for weak points now. There are some glaring stress points where things can all go horribly wrong, but for the most part I am pleased. Even managed to figure out that I had double-assigned my military Dwarves gauntlets and highboots resulting in the lowest-ranked soldiers not being assigned proper armour. Just can't wait till the new forgemasters are fully trained legendary armoursmiths and even the new recruits will be able to enjoy adamantine and steel armour instead of copper. MUST! BUILD! HIGHER!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37919 on: November 10, 2014, 04:19:05 pm »

...Leather workers goes into a fey mood. Yay! Let's hope he makes a cloak. Hey, put that roc leather down! And those blue, black, and yellow diamonds. Hey, that's my only rough star ruby! Fine, have the feather wood. You know, those roc bines were going to go into cool crossbows... But okay.

Aaaaand he made a trumpet. Dammit.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 04:28:33 pm by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 2526 2527 [2528] 2529 2530 ... 3842