Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2519 2520 [2521] 2522 2523 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099746 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37800 on: November 03, 2014, 07:16:42 pm »

The baby of our manager fell into the moat, and since the moat hasn't filled completely yet (it's 5-7 to 6/7 full) the baby is just floating there. It doesn't even try to get out, and his mother makes no attempts at saving the poor creature. It is not gaining swimming skill either.
I have been setting up a huge project to drain the moat but  I fear that the project won't finish in time to save the baby, it is dehydrated and starving already. 

The moat has been a source of many problems, the reason I want to drain it has nothing to do with the baby. A year ago the first caravan drowned itself in the moat for no good reason at all. It is still sitting there at the bottom (which is painful, because there's no metal on this embark). This year's liaison has just arrived and for unknown reasons he is currently swimming in the moat with the baby between all the floating pack animal corpses. He doesn't seem to have any plans to path out again. Also, several citizens have drowned in the moat, while it has stopped zero invaders so far.

At least the caravan has made it to the depot this time. Now if only my trader would come back from his break.

There're things in the water I'm afraid. It is haunted.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37801 on: November 03, 2014, 07:45:07 pm »

Perfect World generated world with latest version (Tested, Perfect world works with the latest version.)

Embarked on an area with a rather deep aquifer.  Building a solid wood above-ground structure, and cultivating a rather large number of surface crops. Grooving on the fact that berry bushes and the like actually grow and harvest correctly now, and that tree fruit can get picked.

Getting ready to plan the multi-level aquifer piercing stratagem.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37802 on: November 03, 2014, 08:50:17 pm »

I've reverted to 40.11 for now, the "separated from loved ones" bug is a bit too debilitating for my taste.

No coal and little trees but tons of ore meant magma sounded really attractive. Shame it's 142 levels below the surface. Still, nothing that quick fix with a few minecarts can't handle. I installed my minecart express lift design for proper transportation for the first time, and it works like a charm, goes up one z-level per step, with practically unlimited range, just abusing the checkpoint effect - a slope on which the ramp slant changes every tile keeps giving and taking away speed so that a cart basically traverses it without changing speed, apart from ordinary floor friction. The loading device is the usual - "flat" ramp in 7/7 magma, one cart sits inside, the other pushes it out of the pond from a ramp and then rolls inside itself.

I filled the eight tiles for my forging area in a careful fashion, having carts guided downstairs and pushed through the pond and up. Once they were all done, i simply short-circuited the thing via dropshaft, for a fully automatic unpowered magma delivery service. It only delivers 1-2 carts per day, mind.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37803 on: November 03, 2014, 09:03:57 pm »

40.13 is the best!
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Insanity X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37804 on: November 03, 2014, 10:55:34 pm »

just created a new fort, the randomized group name was too good to change
"The Fellowship of Martyrs"

fort name is Clobberaxes, I have high hopes
And the lord said unto John, "Come forth, and receive eternal life." but, John came fifth and received a toaster
Urist McMason, Mason cancels Build Important Wall: Making rock mugs.
It was inevitable.
My succession world turn.

20firebird

• Bay Watcher
  • how did i get here
    • View Profile
« Reply #37805 on: November 03, 2014, 11:16:16 pm »

I got two migrant waves in close succesion, so I just jumped from 20 dwarves to 51. Due to my insistence on seperate bedrooms, I am now rushing to dig out housing (plus a bigger dining hall). I think I'm closing the gate on the next group.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #37806 on: November 03, 2014, 11:41:51 pm »

Trying to attract the king, so I want to become a metropolis. Metropolis pop: 140. Current pop: 138.
Sigh.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37807 on: November 03, 2014, 11:44:23 pm »

I WAS going to make that adamantine cloth into a cool, gem, bone, tooth, silk, and metal studded cloak for my next adventurer, but fine, MAKE IT INTO A THONG.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #37808 on: November 04, 2014, 12:18:11 am »

Today we learned that tapping the bottom of a cavern lake to drain it produces enough water pressure to instantly fill the connecting corridor and drown eight miners.

Also, that apparently anything dramatic at all that happens near a well prompts people to throw themselves in. Especially if they're vital military members/legendary masons/etc.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 12:27:36 am by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #37809 on: November 04, 2014, 12:20:00 am »

I WAS going to make that adamantine cloth into a cool, gem, bone, tooth, silk, and metal studded cloak for my next adventurer, but fine, MAKE IT INTO A THONG.

Now you can have a cool, gem, bone, tooth, silk, and metal studded thong for your adventurer?
Everything's in the news today

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37810 on: November 04, 2014, 12:31:51 am »

...Yes...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37811 on: November 04, 2014, 08:40:29 am »

Just managed my first successful cave-in that wasn't enacted with intent to murder some horrible toxic-dust belching monster! Only to find the aquifer is multi-z-level (or more, at least two z's thick.) Airi the miner broke her armor for nothing, but on the upside her fellow founders were quick to shear sheep for dressing and sutures, fell a ceder to make a makeshift hospital and a splint, and make a bucket to water her in fairly short order. That's one hell of a team pulling together moment.

I am now carefully selecting trees to fell and build shelter from (leaning towards whatever cedar trees I can find,) as I intend to have my dwarves subsist mainly on sheep cheese, chicken eggs/meat, and whatever can be harvested from the surrounding fruit trees. My surroundings?

Apple and sand pear trees, providing delicious hard ciders.
Almond, pecan, and walnut trees, providing nuts to mix into/supplement meals of cheese, egg, and meat.
The ginkgo and cedar trees however, will largely not be spared and used to make necessary furnishings, depending if the yield anything the dorfs can eat or brew, the ginkgos may see some of thier number allowed to remain. And before I am called elf, I will restate the reason trees are now being spared: They have potential to feed and booze dorfs now, giving dwarves a new reason to wage war upon the elf: For free access to the delicious and varied booze made from treefruits!
Though obviously for emergencies the standard plump helmet, cave what, and sweet pod have been kept.

Other resources are sand and the local aquifer and river, providing ample water should I have need of it. The sand will be a must however, being now my only way to easily make statuary for my dwarves to feel pleasure near. And to make windows. Because I like windows.

All glory to Raremanors!

EDIT: Seems there's also peaches to be had, meaning even more delicious treebooze. You have earned your safety peach trees. For now.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37812 on: November 04, 2014, 10:31:44 am »

The Forgotten Beast kicks The Forgotten Beast in the first toe, right rear foot with its left front foot, tearing apart the scale and bruising the muscle!
When there are too many FBs in the basement....

The Swordsdwarf slashes The captain of the guard in the first finger, left hand with her ­adamantine short sword­, lightly tapping the target!
The captain of the guard stabs The Swordsdwarf in the upper body with his adamantine spear, lightly tapping the target!
The Swordsdwarf attacks The captain of the guard but He jumps away!
The captain of the guard slams into an obstacle!
The captain of the guard's right upper leg takes the full force of the impact, bruising the muscle through the *ibex leather leggings*!
The captain of the guard's right upper arm takes the full force of the impact, bruising the bone through the (pig tail fiber cloak)!
The captain of the guard's right hand takes the full force of the impact and the part splits in gore!
The captain of the guard loses hold of the (+iron shield+).
The captain of the guard gives in to pain.
The captain of the guard regains consciousness.
The captain of the guard regains consciousness.

Sparring on the roof can be dangerous.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37813 on: November 04, 2014, 10:45:40 am »

I let the weaponsmiths run rampant for a while and now Searingmines has... 12 677 steel bolts, mostly masterwork. Will that be enough?
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37814 on: November 04, 2014, 11:13:02 am »

I let the weaponsmiths run rampant for a while and now Searingmines has... 12 677 steel bolts, mostly masterwork. Will that be enough?

What you speak of is enuff dakka. There is no such thing, though this amount of dakka will work for now. Now find lots of somethings to pincushion.

-

Raremanors, while not exactly supremely prosperous, is thriving with its tiny population. There is now a massive reserve of edible/cookable plants and a fresh influx of sheep cheese, thanks in no small part to the diligent orchard hands, who plucked apple after apple and sand pear after sand pear from the trees and  harvested whatever edible leaves were to be had from ground level. The local eating hall has been more or less finished construction-wise, and simply needs extra tables and chairs, and perhaps a few statues of glass installed before being opened to parties.

A militia... Ehhhh.... Exists, I guess. But it's armament and armor are sorely lacking. It's only "test" was killing a handful of badgers so the marksdwarves would have some leather body armor to prevent possible training accidents (as I've seen soldiers training wrestling without at least that much break ribs before.)
Squad 1: Melee, The Earthen Doors - 2 iron swords and a copper battle axe, wood shields, a single bronze breastplate (the plate and one sword being bought from a caravan for a small pile of bone trinkets made from embark animals and a migrant mule,) and a mishmash of bone and leather armors.
Squad 2: Ranged, The Squeezing Keys - 1 masterful bismuth bronze crossbow, one not (brought by migrant hunters,) one almond wood crossbow, and a mix of leather and bone armor. Very small amount of metal ammo.

Only a few dwarves have thier own rooms - Trame, the expedition leader/CMD, Squib, the Militia Commander, and Iton, her only captain (and great marksdwarf!) Having only two soil layers to work with thanks to mudstone being a waterbearing rock, providing enough housing may prove difficult, though hopefully these dwarves will eventually start pairing off, making building small manors for each family relatively easy.
Pages: 1 ... 2519 2520 [2521] 2522 2523 ... 3842