Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2518 2519 [2520] 2521 2522 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099689 times)

Ives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37785 on: November 02, 2014, 09:44:10 pm »

I know two little words to fix your problem:

magma

But that's one word! Still I'll file that under plan E.

Plan A - dropping heavy things on it
Plan B - repeatedly building and collapsing floos until the damn thing dies a second time
Plan C - equipping my vampire mayor with a mace and dropping him in. Not sure if he can follow orders underwater though
Plan D - digging underneath the zombie and hopefully catching him in a cage
Plan E - walling the bridge off for the next ten years, building a 50 Z-level magma pump stack, spending the next year filling up a reservoir at the top of the tower with magma while the heat calculations drop my FPS to 1, AND CASING THE WHOLE DAMN LAKE IN OBSIDIAN, HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES YOU DICK?! ROASTED AND ON FIRE I BET!

Looks like Plan A had already failed - the brainless zombie is very good at dodging, apparently  :-\ So that's one step closer to the magmapocalypse.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37786 on: November 02, 2014, 09:57:39 pm »

Build a piston aboveground by removing everything around part of a mountain, then however far down so the dropped block ends up flush with the bridges around it!

Weremammoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Vagabond Tales
« Reply #37787 on: November 02, 2014, 10:27:08 pm »

So, I embark with a quarter of the map in a haunted forest.  That portion almost immediately begins raining elf blood.  My first reaction, obviously, is giggles.   But then, I'm concerned.  What if contact changes my dwarves into tree-lovers?  I can't imagine a worse fate.  Maybe undeath......maybe.
This is a forum post.  All work is of the highest quality.  It expresses the thoughts of a particular DF player.  This post is decorated with a frame and avatar.  It menaces with occasional grammatical errors.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37788 on: November 02, 2014, 10:55:33 pm »

Oh god, guys, I found the weremammoth...

Ives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37789 on: November 02, 2014, 11:49:53 pm »

Build a piston aboveground by removing everything around part of a mountain, then however far down so the dropped block ends up flush with the bridges around it!

I guess that's an alternative!

The cave-in method has worked, somewhat. The zombie died, but its corpse wasn't mangled and I expect it to rise again. May be I could continue killing it until it rots to a skeleton. Or just wall that area off and leave Urist McZombie in the water.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37790 on: November 03, 2014, 12:02:24 am »

New embark. It's icier than I realised: Even in the height of summer, the river is frozen. Okay... But the aquifer? It's not frozen. Right.

So, after trying and failing with the aquifer-drop-a-lump-of-dirt-pierce method, possibly due to the whole thing freezing as it fell (wow) I'm now somehow down three miners. I had one, and he suddenly disappeared, and a while later I realised that things weren't being mined. No worries, brought two spare picks. Assigned another miner, all well. He was the expedition leader. A while later, I get informed that I have a new expedition leader. A week later the expedition leader gets reported as missing for a week...

Dig dig dig then suddenly... Urist McSURPRISE is the new expedition leader. There goes my last pick. We seem to have just about the right amount of room left for our remaining four dwarfs to survive till the migration... which should have happened by now, I would have thought? Perhaps it was delayed by that snowstorm...

We've hunkered down in there collecting clay and shaping it into crafts which we can sell for new picks, and possibly new migrants. Here's to hoping someone will turn up in this land of ice and snow. I have no idea what happened to the missing miners and picks. Not so much as a pig tail sock has materialised.

In other news, I've discovered that yaks aren't shearable. How odd. They are in real life: People have been making yak hair felted and knitted coats (and hats, and friendship bands and the like) for as long as the yak has been domesticated. Darn. What am I supposed to do with these yaks? Milk them?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37791 on: November 03, 2014, 12:58:30 am »

While engraving slabs I found there were two wagons in the list.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #37792 on: November 03, 2014, 02:55:04 am »

I hope Urist McFoolhardy and Urist McOblivioustodanger taught the rest of the fortress why you don't punch cave crocodiles.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37793 on: November 03, 2014, 06:01:11 am »

A tantruming soldier killed her sleeping comrade and was duly rewarded with naked cavern mapping duty. She was one of the old lung injury cases who suddenly remembered how terrible it is to be wounded. Another wounded is stumbling around the fortress, drawn and haggard. I fear I'm going to lose him as well.

These losses are especially stinging now that Searingmines is getting ready for the circus day; every skilled dwarf will be needed in the welcoming committee when the clown parade maches into town.

It's sad when they miss the whole circus experience by dying prematurely.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37794 on: November 03, 2014, 07:51:50 am »

Its time to make some soap.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37795 on: November 03, 2014, 09:13:01 am »

New embark. It's icier than I realised: Even in the height of summer, the river is frozen. Okay... But the aquifer? It's not frozen. Right.

Water only freezes when exposed to light; dark places have a uniform, above-freezing temperature. When you get those picks, try channeling enough to expose the aquifer to light, channeling out the newly-formed ice, and repeating as necessary (have your mason or carpenter construct a staircase down).

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37796 on: November 03, 2014, 10:21:44 am »

Cyan means function loss, but still structurally sound.

It's cyan. Yeah. So what, are they diabetic now? Isn't that what your pancreas does?

In DF, no. The only internal organs that do anything in DF iirc are the lungs, the brain, and the eyes. Anything else (pancreas, liver, heart, etc) can be safely removed, barring blood loss issues.
Removing the heart gives a "mortal wound" indicator, but doesn't actually kill you.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37797 on: November 03, 2014, 10:41:06 am »

I tried to remove a large area of roof, but small accidents kept happening.
So I built a support below the area and removed all adjacent tiles to the main structure and pulled the lever...

Fortunately I made backup save. The roof fell and broke through two floors below, killing everything on the way.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37798 on: November 03, 2014, 04:33:26 pm »

The baby of our manager fell into the moat, and since the moat hasn't filled completely yet (it's 5-7 to 6/7 full) the baby is just floating there. It doesn't even try to get out, and his mother makes no attempts at saving the poor creature. It is not gaining swimming skill either.
I have been setting up a huge project to drain the moat but  I fear that the project won't finish in time to save the baby, it is dehydrated and starving already. 

The moat has been a source of many problems, the reason I want to drain it has nothing to do with the baby. A year ago the first caravan drowned itself in the moat for no good reason at all. It is still sitting there at the bottom (which is painful, because there's no metal on this embark). This year's liaison has just arrived and for unknown reasons he is currently swimming in the moat with the baby between all the floating pack animal corpses. He doesn't seem to have any plans to path out again. Also, several citizens have drowned in the moat, while it has stopped zero invaders so far.

At least the caravan has made it to the depot this time. Now if only my trader would come back from his break.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 04:35:23 pm by Bralbaard »

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37799 on: November 03, 2014, 07:07:04 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*copious screaming and kermit arms*

So yeah
Burning reindeer inside the fort
Things are going ‼FUN‼
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 07:10:32 pm by the1337doofus »
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity
Pages: 1 ... 2518 2519 [2520] 2521 2522 ... 3842