Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2515 2516 [2517] 2518 2519 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099445 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37740 on: October 31, 2014, 03:21:57 pm »

They do if you own them and happen to be grazers.

Trupik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37741 on: October 31, 2014, 03:57:03 pm »

Engraving an adamantine pillar in the future sculpture garden. The best engraving so far is "the symbol of The Humorous Wire, a local dwarven government".

Edit: apparently, that is me... there are more engravings about The Humorous Wire and they all correspond to my past actions. I did not bother to check my group name on the embark screen, as I often don't survive the first year. I shall write a note to Urist, that we are re-branding...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 04:14:34 pm by Trupik »

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37742 on: October 31, 2014, 05:04:11 pm »

Searingmines is burning again; this time the second cavern is getting torched by Enira, a gigantic feathered tapir with antennae and fire. Funnily enough, it seems to be vulnerable to its own fire; it lost all its fat while making barbecue out of the cavern's crundle population.

Speaking of barbecue, the dwarven caravan trundled on the map while I'm still hastily finishing an alternative wagon exit tunnel.. I hope I can finish it before they leave; otherwise the wagons might also dip through the wall into magma like the human ones did.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #37743 on: October 31, 2014, 05:45:38 pm »

Still getting vomit all over despite the channeled-away roof of my massive dining room. What gives?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37744 on: October 31, 2014, 05:49:38 pm »

Still getting vomit all over despite the channeled-away roof of my massive dining room. What gives?

Areas that are light/inside only prevent cave adaptation from getting worse, but do not provide any reduction.

You need to have them idle somewhere light/outside to actually reduce it.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37745 on: October 31, 2014, 05:51:37 pm »

Sorry for the double.  Server gateway freaked on me.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 05:55:42 pm by Tacomagic »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #37746 on: October 31, 2014, 07:04:57 pm »

A weretapir and a duke in quick succession. Balls.

EDIT: Swamp titan. No military. Went from 84 to 47. It's dead (pounded into mush as it bled out) but tantrums are starting to break out and a large portion of the population is resting in the hospital. The doctor's taking his time.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:27:12 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

peculiarfortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37747 on: October 31, 2014, 11:03:04 pm »

Ah, so... this is a bit horrifying, even for DF standards. So I just got a swarm of about 25 migrants. One was a baby. This baby managed to carry itself throughout the entire caravan. Nobody ever bothered to pick up the little thing and carry it into the fortress. So, a werebeast suddenly appeared. My fortress went into lockdown mode after all of the dwarves got inside. Or so I thought. There were three people that had not gotten inside. Two came into my fortress nearly depressed, both of which I locked into a room (this is the only room that enemies can enter when the fortress is in lockdown and has cage traps), and what do you know, the baby still has about 20 paces till it gets into the fortress. The werebeast saw the one child come out and attacked it, I was secretly rooting for the werebeast. Then I saw the baby. Luckily the werebeast went for a cat first. But then, to my horror, it went for the baby. I looked at the combat report, it was quite gruesome. Finally it gets caught in the cage trap. I have decided that for these crimes it will spend the rest of eternity in a cage in the dining room for all to see and laugh at.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37748 on: November 01, 2014, 05:04:59 am »

Apparently, the surroundings of my fort are too cold to support dwarves. So my migrants all die on the way here, except in the summer and autumn.

Great. Another thing is that the caravan and liaison are bugged, so the game crashes upon their arrival.

Time for a new fort.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37749 on: November 01, 2014, 08:01:44 am »

A Bone Carver in Earthbust suffered possession and produced a cat bone war hammer. So at least my hammerer is now properly equipped.
Unofficial Lazy Newb Pack 43.03, Dwarf Mode only
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37750 on: November 01, 2014, 08:18:07 am »

Human town Rivertrapped lurches forward facing tragedy after tragedy. About 190 settlers dead, two tantrum spirals (one ended fast thanks to main culprit being knocked unconscious and carried to prison) later I survive because the Emperor Wills It! This is his favourite summer cottage.

Goblins arrived on 1st Granite, 256. I thought that it would be a small group again (previous ones were 6-15 gobos) so I mustered all soldiers to meet them. My walls had a significant problem as my archers tend to climb over my fortifications and jump down to shoot enemies, and I was building a roof over the wall to prevent that - it was under progress when siege came. The spot where enemy arrived was quite close to my northern gate and my soldiers were all sparring nearby so it took only few seconds to send them in.

Only that there were suddenly 40 goblins equipped with metal armors and iron weapons. And trolls appeared later. I had 10 quite well equipped veterans (a few who had mastered their skills and with good protection and weapons) and one good crossbow squad made of hunters. Two "reserve" squads that followed were nothing more than previous migration wave given weapons... if they were lucky. So, I had 40 guys there. I actually thought "screw it, time to plan for expedition vol III to Rivertrapped".

http://i.imgur.com/3RmNPOs.png

Except my soldiers won the day. Yes, I lost all my 20 reserve soldiers (+ babies, I dont know how many babies they were carrying there) who were butchered faster than dwarf says "cat". But my 1st infantry squad kept killing in a mad dance of death, surrounded by goblins and trolls. This squad lost three members, my hunters only one. Perfect teamwork - crossbowmen broke arms and legs and melee finished them off.

http://i.imgur.com/AfgzRtY.png

Militiacommander alone had 4 pages combat log, decapitating goblins and trolls with bronze scimitar. I don't know who was that hammerman (human? goblin?) who charged him and collided with him, I didnt see him in the log.

http://i.imgur.com/MV1hiYs.png

I love these new moods. They really griefs their fallen and shout in battle that they'll avenge their dead ones.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 08:27:12 am by Kuikka »

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37751 on: November 01, 2014, 10:40:14 am »

Oh yeah, while I'm thinking about justice: Sodel Circle-Oar -- legendary stonecrafter, maker of Murderhide the figurine memorialising her husband's (?) fatal illness; and master hunter with sixteen kills to her name -- was convicted of a violated production order. (The king's demand for bolts appears to be insatiable.) She was sentenced to nearly nine months in prison, and has served about six so far. The bad news is that her clothes have now completely rotted off her, and her mood is... testy.

I think there may be a risk of further crimes being committed on her release. The Dwarven League for Penal Reform is, I understand, already on the case.
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37752 on: November 01, 2014, 01:44:14 pm »

She was sentenced to nearly nine months in prison, and has served about six so far. The bad news is that her clothes have now completely rotted off her, and her mood is... testy.

Stockpile some clothes in her cell, maybe?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37753 on: November 01, 2014, 01:52:26 pm »

Well, she had a bit of a tantrum before I could get to her and killed the first dwarf who came to give her food so, um, yeah. Crimes were committed while still incarcerated. Curiously, that particular killing didn't seem to show up in my justice screen. She picked up some clothes immediately on release before changing into her military uniform (didn't pick up she was one of my Hammerdwarves: that explains why she made such short work of her warder).

We were also visited, apparently without my knowledge, by a Fire Man. Nevertheless, a Hammer Lord took him out just as handily as they did the Minotaur and Cave Crocodile that came before.

My population is stubbornly sticking around the 50 mark, as it seems every time I grow by 1, somedwarf goes and gets themselves killed.
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37754 on: November 01, 2014, 02:44:32 pm »

Great. Another thing is that the caravan and liaison are bugged, so the game crashes upon their arrival.
That appears to be quite common if you have a reclaimed fort.
()==[:::::::::::::>
Pages: 1 ... 2515 2516 [2517] 2518 2519 ... 3842