Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2500 2501 [2502] 2503 2504 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099927 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37515 on: October 14, 2014, 09:44:11 pm »

For some reason, my seaside embark has the lava sea twenty-six levels below the surface - and 77 levels above the map bottom ??
I'm not complaining, shallow lava is nice for smithing. Although it seems that hell is above the marble deposits; the stone screen marked marble as green at start, but i've not seen any. A little bit of adamantine could be secured, too. After about two and a half years, fort value is 5 million, and 70% of that are the four addy artefacts.

Anyone know the new melting point of salt water? It's a bit weird to have the entire "arctic" part of the ocean liquid year-round, with snow at the bottom.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #37516 on: October 14, 2014, 09:51:02 pm »

I have a skeleton of a dwarven adventurer in my fortress, but the dwarves won't bury him. I did reclaim the body, but...

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37517 on: October 14, 2014, 11:35:25 pm »

I think my fortress has enough wood.
I clear-cut a large section of the thickly-forested area where my fort's in, and said area is a lot smaller than the whole map; the stocks menu states I have over 650 logs.
It also helps that, because of a lack of trees, people getting trapped in them goes down.

depends.

I, for one, will need 1000-3000 logs to armor up my dwarves (plan on having 100 dwarves)
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37518 on: October 15, 2014, 04:54:07 am »

I have a skeleton of a dwarven adventurer in my fortress, but the dwarves won't bury him. I did reclaim the body, but...
Which civilization did he come from? If it's not yours, he's not getting into a coffin. He could be put in a graveyard with a "dump" command.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37519 on: October 15, 2014, 06:28:40 am »

Two of my soldiers, including the militia captain, apparently joined a suicide pact and jumped into the cistern through the well. No melancholy, no nothing. Just out of the blue.
Sparring does that, put a grate down.
I doubt they'd spar in the hospital...

Also of note, if you have dwarves training in a tower, put a little "basket" around and under the floor where they're training.  Dwarves will phase right through walls during training and fall to their deaths if you don't have something to stop them.

Well shit. Oh well, time for some redecoration.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37520 on: October 15, 2014, 07:42:39 am »

I've seen em spar and roam all over the place.

As for my fort, I was trying to put in a new driver so I could directly control the mouse with my logitech controller, figured it was a good time after opening it up and repairing a short that I thought was causing the intermittent loss of signal, and then I accidentally the whole xorg server so I had to grab the 2ds to check the net and see how to interrupt the boot process early enough that it doesn't end up stuck in the login screen with no inputs allowed...

I'mma go do a bit of mindless dorfing now after getting that fixed.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37521 on: October 15, 2014, 09:15:00 am »

I was preparing a squad to kill the goblin weredeer Gozru Emrusmu Estrazusta, but instead I found its partial skeleton lying there.
I checked the logs and it appered the goblin was killed by a .... Honey Badger!? :o

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37522 on: October 15, 2014, 09:21:52 am »

Honey badgers are hardcore.
If one gets angry, either stab it in the face or run as fast as possible.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #37523 on: October 15, 2014, 11:09:02 am »

My personal preferred approach is to run as fast as possible and then use whatever projectiles are available to metaphorically stab them at a distance. Combines the best features of both techniques.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37524 on: October 15, 2014, 12:47:38 pm »

Well, that was... well.

Werehare showed up at my fort, slaghtered 10 dwarves and left.  One dwarf lingered, injured by the werehare.  He was missing a leg and had several other fractures.  Figured he was infeted so I designated a hospital zone, had him moved in there, and then walled him in.

He died of dehydration.  Woops, my bad.

Fast forward a year, and another werehare shows up.  I'm more ready for this one, but my military is sluggish to respond, most of them are either sleeping or on break.  Even so, one soldier is available.  The werehare kills a goat and then proceeds to beat a mason with a shoe.  Lone soldier shows up just in time to save the mason.  Unfortunately the soldier is one of the fresh recruits and doesn't stand a chance.  He ties up the werehare long enough to buy some time, but is eventually ripped apart.  After the battle, the werehare goes back to beating the insensate mason with the shoe.

Before the rest of the army arrived, the beast turns back into a human and runs off.  I check the log and don't see any sign of a bite, so I have the mason transferred to the hospital ward.  After 2 weeks of rest, he's back up on his feet and building the wall like a boss!

2 weeks later he transforms into a werehare while working on the wall.  Apparently I missed something.

This time my military is prepped and ready, and they respond with fast, leathal force, preventing any of the laborers from being harmed.  I check the logs.

Three of them were bitten.

I guess that means I now have a 3-man cave exploration team.  Now to go through the process of assigning them very specific equipment and walling them out in the caves.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37525 on: October 15, 2014, 12:59:27 pm »

I decided to go and play a Masterwork fort....

Things are going well.
TOO WELL. Everything is going well, in fact. I have plenty of booze, plenty of food, the craftsmen are hard at work making trade goods to shove off onto the caravans....
And it's only the first year. This must be an omen of bad things to come, to stock up and make the most of it while I can, for my dwarves must be doomed to endure hell in the coming years.....

Edit: Or it could just be an omen that the game would crash when I saved, rendering the past hour's work moot. Bugger all.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:01:55 pm by the1337doofus »
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #37526 on: October 15, 2014, 02:03:04 pm »

Which civilization did he come from? If it's not yours, he's not getting into a coffin. He could be put in a graveyard with a "dump" command.
She was mine though. I checked before embarking...

Boothby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37527 on: October 15, 2014, 02:51:46 pm »

Minotaur showed up and while I was getting my military in position and closing doors (including atom smashing my militia captain...gotta rethink how those bridges are set up) it pathed through my trade post, killed water buffalo and a trader, then was kicked to death by donkeys.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37528 on: October 15, 2014, 06:06:14 pm »

A lord consort werelizard invaded my fort. It caused the death of 1 dwarf, a kitten and infected one dwarf before leaving the map back in its human form. I managed to lock the dwarf up before things got worse however.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37529 on: October 15, 2014, 06:43:52 pm »

It wouldn't have gotten worse; it'd have gotten more Fun.
Possibly !!Fun!!, if you had a magma reservoir or trapped dragon/Titan/FB/clown.
Pages: 1 ... 2500 2501 [2502] 2503 2504 ... 3842