Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2499 2500 [2501] 2502 2503 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100105 times)

Voidlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37500 on: October 13, 2014, 05:34:29 pm »

Tamed a pack of giant dingoes to start a meat farm
The Void shall consume all

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37501 on: October 13, 2014, 05:56:08 pm »

Had my miners dig all the way down until they hit SMR.
I have not yet found the third cavern layer.
It's very elusive, it seems.
Time to dig everything...

Voidlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37502 on: October 13, 2014, 06:02:32 pm »

Oh and mining out lots of ore, my fort has an excess of iron, both shallow metals were Hematite and Limonite
The Void shall consume all

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37503 on: October 13, 2014, 06:31:55 pm »

A cube of up/down stairs would be hell for FPS, because you've now multiplied the number of paths by another coordinate.
I could swear it was the opposite because they already check up and down for paths, but now they can just go straight to anywhere, making pathfinding much quicker.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #37504 on: October 13, 2014, 09:59:54 pm »

A cube of up/down stairs would be hell for FPS, because you've now multiplied the number of paths by another coordinate.
I could swear it was the opposite because they already check up and down for paths, but now they can just go straight to anywhere, making pathfinding much quicker.

Nope, that's how it works. There was a long thread about sphere-shaped forts a while back. Moral of the story: in dwarftime, yes, it results in faster routes; in RL, pathfinding becomes a royal pain. The system, as I understand it, was optimized for 2D, not 3D. I've been exploring pathfinding myself, and I quite understand why Toady hasn't remedied the situation. It can be a semi-nightmare.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37505 on: October 13, 2014, 10:51:27 pm »

Dueling Forgotten Beasts started a fire in one of the caverns. Turns out ‼tree‼s are very effective in spreading the conflagration between z-levels. Fortunately, my fort isn't currently connected to the ‼Fun‼ going on down there...
One of the FB:s succumbed to the flames and burned to ashes, while the other is suffering drowsiness (so far) from getting hit with poison spittle.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37506 on: October 14, 2014, 10:30:19 am »

Two of my soldiers, including the militia captain, apparently joined a suicide pact and jumped into the cistern through the well. No melancholy, no nothing. Just out of the blue.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37507 on: October 14, 2014, 10:35:52 am »

Just started in a 500 year old world near a dracon's cave in a tropical savana. An elaphant killed it in one hit to the head. I WAS GOING TO CATCH IT YOU BASTARD!!! I'm now planning to slaughter every elephant with legendary soldiers.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37508 on: October 14, 2014, 01:08:19 pm »

Had a happy dwarven settlement just getting started when... bam.  Were-weasel.  Bit everyone.  Asshole.  Abandoned the fort.

Next city, started on the other continent (far enough away that the cave-spores didn't travel).

First migrant wave... were-weasels.

I love to hate how complete this game is.  And I hate to love it.  So cool... and so annoying.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37509 on: October 14, 2014, 01:20:26 pm »

Two of my soldiers, including the militia captain, apparently joined a suicide pact and jumped into the cistern through the well. No melancholy, no nothing. Just out of the blue.
Sparring does that, put a grate down.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37510 on: October 14, 2014, 01:34:50 pm »

Sparring does that, put a grate down.

Also of note, if you have dwarves training in a tower, put a little "basket" around and under the floor where they're training.  Dwarves will phase right through walls during training and fall to their deaths if you don't have something to stop them.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37511 on: October 14, 2014, 06:26:10 pm »

This new fort's going great. Tropical savanna, magma close to the surface, dolomite layer full of iron, already found some candy. Have to go through the caverns to get to it though. Going to get a lot of steel and infrastructure before I ever get to candy. Already have magma smelters working on iron and billon, within the first summer. This fort's going to be grea- what. A fey mood? You want shell and silk?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #37512 on: October 14, 2014, 09:09:01 pm »

I wonder, would trading for the elves's crap wooden armor be a good idea? Proper equipment for your squads means that it wouldn't hurt them, and the armor is of a low enough value that you could get it for a few mugs. It could serve as emergency backup clothing for civilians.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #37513 on: October 14, 2014, 09:13:11 pm »

An alligator bit a carp on the upper body, lightly tapping the target. They are training!

And a Sea Lamprey spent an entire year trying to kill a sponge man, but missed every time once it leveled up enough to be able to dodge.. Eventually they both froze to death, which was kind of disappointing. I would have like a legendary sponge man warrior in my river.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37514 on: October 14, 2014, 09:16:45 pm »

I think my fortress has enough wood.
I clear-cut a large section of the thickly-forested area where my fort's in, and said area is a lot smaller than the whole map; the stocks menu states I have over 650 logs.
It also helps that, because of a lack of trees, people getting trapped in them goes down.
Pages: 1 ... 2499 2500 [2501] 2502 2503 ... 3842