Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2497 2498 [2499] 2500 2501 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100237 times)

MedicInDisquise

• Bay Watcher
  • Disappointment Incarnate
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37470 on: October 11, 2014, 02:28:30 pm »

Embarked on a lair one of my adventurers cleared out; Actually working out well. The lair itself was in a hill that goes up 2 z levels above ground level. Squared out the lair, and used it for farming. I'm most likely gonna edit in a picture if you're curious.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37471 on: October 11, 2014, 02:34:12 pm »

Time for an update from my fortress.
Killed elves, realized the Trade Depot was technically underground, made a refuse pile, channeled the tiles above the depot, and accidentally crushed it, killing a Risen Guard. After rebuilding the trade depot, more storage space was necessary, since the traders brought SO MUCH STUFF that became ours.
Also, because we're between 2 mountainsides, I decided to dig a path underneath the courtyard that's the area between the two that goes into the 2nd to act as a secondary fortress, as well as extra storage.
No siege from the nearby tower, oddly enough. Pity, since I have a squad armed with silver maces.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #37472 on: October 11, 2014, 02:50:41 pm »

So, I danger-roomed a squad of militia. After the station order ended, they all went off-duty. I fixed the training orders for the other squad (non-danger-roomed; they're marksdwarves) and they did the same. During a siege.

EDIT: I guess they were hungry or something? They went back to being military after they walked over to the stockpile.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37473 on: October 11, 2014, 03:24:22 pm »

They must've exhausted their on-hand supplies, so they went to get more.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #37474 on: October 11, 2014, 04:07:53 pm »

And now five people managed to fall into the well and drown when it overflowed slightly (1s and 2s). What even?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37475 on: October 11, 2014, 04:14:27 pm »

And now five people managed to fall into the well and drown when it overflowed slightly (1s and 2s). What even?

Having a safety grate right under the well really helps keep the deaths in check.  I found that dwarves really love to toss themselves into the drinking supply, for whatever reason.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37476 on: October 11, 2014, 04:50:36 pm »

Almost like clockwork, one person gave birth to twins, another to quadruplets, another to triplets, and then one more to twins.
Good thing Risens don't have to eat...

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37477 on: October 11, 2014, 04:58:51 pm »

Continuing the story of Ingish, now in full overblown story mode:

Every single dwarf from Ingish Outrageorb's former crossbow squad volunteered for mission to recover the body of their cursed but brave comrade. A melee squad of fellow graduates joined to support the crossbowdwarves; Ingish had been their friend and brother as well. They all knew they would also have to kill Cuthabe Spasmprowl the Untoward Loot, the beast before time who had given Ingish his release from the were-curse. With this in mind the two squads began their long descent to second cavern level.

The beast was still stuck in the same gully as before, standing beside the mangled corpse of their friend. It looked like it was guarding the body, somehow. The monster still bore wounds from its fight with Ingish; clearly there were limits to its outlandish healing power. That meant it could be killed. Good.

Upon closer examination it became clear that a fungiwood tree was blocking the only way to the gully. A woodcutter was called in; while she cut down the tree the crossbowdwarves kept the beast distracted with a steady flow of bolts. The bolts seemed to rather annoy and enrage the monster than injure it, but it was enough. When the tree finally fell down the dwarves swarmed together through the narrow gap and charged towards Cuthabe.

The fight was very one-sided. If Cuthabe had had trouble with the naked and unarmed Ingish, it didn't have a chance against a score of his brethren, equipped with the finest steel and adamantine gear from the fort's master smiths. Enraged, it tried to tear at the tiny forms flitting at the edges of its vision but every time they seemed to be just a little bit out of its reach, ready to stab and smash at its vulnerable parts.

In the end it was a speardwarf, Inod Citydiamonds, who landed the killing blow. She was one of the first who reached Cuthabe, stabbing rapidly with her masterful adamantine spear and dodging the beast's attacks. After tearing the monster's both lungs and heart she stabbed deep into Cuthabe's lower spine, causing the it to fall down and writhe helplessly under the dwarves' onslaught. A final strike to the abdomen opened a large artery, and with its steaming poisonous blood spilling to the ground Cuthabe Spasmprowl the Untoward Loot finally drew its last breath.

It was done. Inod looked at her spear, still coated with hissing and steaming gore and gave it a name right there and then: Nòmnêcik, "Godsinges" in the common tongue. It felt right, somehow.

The dwarves gathered together, many with tears in their eyes. They all straightened up and saluted, no longer as mere students, but as warriors. Then they slowly started their long trek back to their barracks, fifty levels up from the cavern. A peasant collected Ingish's corpse and placed it unceremoniously into an obsidian coffin, as is the dwarven way. A slab was carved to commemorate the deeds of Ingish Outrageorb, the one who was cursed but who redeemed himself with valor.

Later, Cuthabe's carcass seemed to vanish from the cavern, and the forts kitchen and bone industries were suddenly flooded with fresh raw material. Ingish's tomb got decorated with one more addition: an exceptional forgotten beast skull totem.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 05:27:37 pm by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37478 on: October 11, 2014, 05:22:17 pm »

Bravo.

Also, I noticed something really neat/unusual.
If a horn gets removed mid-battle, it can later be butchered into a horn horn and a horn bone.
I now have yak bull left horn horn and yak bull left horn bone.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #37479 on: October 11, 2014, 05:34:13 pm »

An axelord and a hammerlord just gave birth.

Schiesse.
GM of Trespassers V2.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37480 on: October 11, 2014, 05:53:06 pm »

Bravo.

Also, I noticed something really neat/unusual.
If a horn gets removed mid-battle, it can later be butchered into a horn horn and a horn bone.
I now have yak bull left horn horn and yak bull left horn bone.

This is a masterfully crafted horn made from horn horn.  The is encrusted with horn horn, and bears an image of a horn in horn horn.  There is a horn and a horn engraved in horn horn.  The horn is striking down the horn.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #37481 on: October 11, 2014, 05:57:01 pm »

So one enemy Speardwarf died then my ___lords started murdering each other.

EDIT: Looks like it stopped when the spearmaster killed the axelord. Now I'm down one of each weapon except hammer lords, because the spearmaster is pale.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 05:59:27 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37482 on: October 11, 2014, 06:01:08 pm »

Continuing the story of Ingish, now in full overblown story mode
Amazing!

But in my fortress, a dwarven caravan came and went before even being able to unload all their goods and trade.

I am severely disappointed, because I just slaughtered a goblin siege at the expense of 4 war dogs, 3 military dwarves, about 7 civilians, and had my baroness' war cougar get all torn up.

I couldn't even get any thread that I so desperately need!
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37483 on: October 11, 2014, 06:19:58 pm »

I pinned the latest no pants tantrums on a bunch of recently deceased keas:

Dastot Alathneth has been unhappy lately. She was outraged at the ridiculous conviction of an animal recently.

:D

edit:
Actually it was 9 disorderly conducts and this might very well end this fort. My whole military is at 0 happyness and most civilians are at least unhappy. The first Axelord is throwing a tantrum :> .
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 06:24:30 pm by shlorf »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37484 on: October 11, 2014, 09:10:53 pm »

My newly started fortress was inside a lair. There was a single goblin on another side of the map.
Everything seemed fine until...

Gozru Emrusmu Estrazusta, Goblin has transformed into a weredeer!

:o
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 2497 2498 [2499] 2500 2501 ... 3842