Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2496 2497 [2498] 2499 2500 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100420 times)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37455 on: October 09, 2014, 10:23:00 pm »

I don't care how exploity it is, this fortress is revolving around a quantum stockpile that accepts everything. After having two dwarven caravans arrive before my central stockpile was dug out in my last fort, I'm quite sick of the effort.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37456 on: October 10, 2014, 12:12:00 am »

It's a pretty minor exploit since you can get the same sort of effect if you wanted by doing d-b-d and mass marking things for dumping, put a garbage dump on a stockpile that accepts everything, then let them haul it and d-b-c unforbid it all.

Doing it with minecarts just lets the dorfs do it automatically without the same micromanagement, while the old bridge/hatch undumps were a more complex method with the same goal.

Considering how nice it is having a more compact layout, more efficient pathing to/from the piles, and the lack of the game tracking the temperature of a billion stockpiled items (as I recall it updates the top item in the pile, the rest just hangs around not eating cpu cycles) is a nice fps boost.

Edit: Heck, I got sick of crap rotting in the depot and figured out a fix, I d-b-d mark everything in the depot for dumping after the merchants leave and activate the dump zone over the food stockpile, unmark the actual building materials in the depot itself as it can confuse dorfs sometimes, and let everyone rush in and haul it all into the foodpile before it rots, then unforbid and they sort the rest of the stuff into the appropriate piles happily.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:14:45 am by Max™ »

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37457 on: October 10, 2014, 01:19:44 am »

Noo, give him a weapon and shield.  And a helmet.  For spiders.

I think I'll rather keep him around; I've wanted to try a were-repeater for some time now.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37458 on: October 10, 2014, 05:16:55 am »

I think multilevel might be my favorite new toy.

This:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
vs
This:

Having these layers included is pretty damn neat:

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37459 on: October 10, 2014, 05:46:47 am »

Found a vertical cavern, which I dug (with appropriate grates) a drain into from my kitchen well cistern. A migrant arrived with a lot of pets, and one was a rabbit. I've wanted to know what was down that endlessly deep cavern for a while... so I penned the buck rabbit in the middle of the kitchen well drain... and flushed.

The kitchen well cistern, incidentally, is a six-by-six-by-four hole which was 7/7 full of water to the brim. Said fluffy buck wabbit went flying out on a huge and epic plume of water, and fell. And fell. And... fell... I kept dropping and dropping and dropping, watching the water. An outcropping of rock to one side did get a splatter of red, but buck kept on reporting back a beautiful waterfall and mostly sheer walls made of ore... I closed the floodgates, then checked on buck, who was still falling. He finally reappeared (after falling past every type of ore in existence, sphaelerite, native gold, garnierite, tetrahedrite, native platinum, etc) at the bottom of the fall, cushioned on a huge stack of water which I don't think had been there before I emptied the cistern. He had fallen on his hind legs: crushed legs, lungs and ribs were unfortunately only part of his injuries, I basically pulped him, but he wandered around down there for a little while, eventually succumbing to his injuries a few months later.

My dorfs haven't made it even a quarter of the way down that terrible descent. I'm considering throwing a bird-type thing next. There's a pterodactyl forgotten beast down there at the moment though, so I'm waiting for it to be out of the way before I pen the next beloved pet intrepid explorer in the water cannon launching tube... Although if I find out who the sodding vampire is, I guess I'll draft him to the army, then station the sodding bastard right there in the drain.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37460 on: October 10, 2014, 07:08:16 pm »

I seem to not be able to get a reanimating biome without it being in a glacier biome. I realy want it to be in a tundra biome a lot right now.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37461 on: October 10, 2014, 08:15:48 pm »

Gen worlds with the same parameters as you were using but raise the minimum temperature a bit?

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37462 on: October 10, 2014, 09:06:09 pm »

2 forgotten beasts showed up in one season.

The first, a towering assassin bug that can't reach the fort.

The second, a enormous gem quadruped that can.

The quadruped was surprisingly easy, only taking down 2 dwarves, a dog, and a donkey.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #37463 on: October 10, 2014, 10:03:18 pm »

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

And you have no miltary!

I know that Losing is Fun but this isn't fun this is cheap as shit.

EDIT: After I totally didn't savescum, the gobs murdered all of my llamas and then left out of boredom once I walled myself in.

AND HOLY SHIT THE WAVES OF CHILDREN

I think the fort's at like 1/4 children atm, and I'm worried this countess from the starting 7 is going to blow up soon. The artifact chair has her hovering around "content" at the moment, but the mandates for warhammers have been hard to meet because I have been slow with my metal industry.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 12:13:18 am by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37464 on: October 11, 2014, 02:46:16 am »

The very forces of nature serve Cavecrafts!

'An Ambush! Curse Them!'

'Something Has Collapsed on the Surface!'

One problem solved the other by hurling it into the river where most of them drowned while still choking on dust. The remaining two were savaged by war dogs as they dragged themselves onto land.

Still, even though the mighty Goddess Demeter is on our side, I've ordered a curtain wall constructed on our southern frontier. The heroic tress has been surrounded with a siltstone wall so no dwarves accidentally cut it down.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37465 on: October 11, 2014, 05:58:39 am »

With heavy heart I decided to send the were-infected thirteen year old graduate Ingish Outrageorb to naked cavern mapping duty for the rest of his presumably short life. While wandering naked and unarmed in the second cavern layer he happened upon...

Cuthabe Erawicovace Lasecatireve "Cuthabe Spasmprowl the Untoward Loot"

A great lizard with external ribs.  It has a knobby trunk and it squirms and fidgets.  Its eyes glow scarlet.  Its slate gray scales are round and overlapping.  Beware its deadly blood!

The great beast seemed to be trapped in a small gully of sorts, unable to climb up to menace the rest of the cavern. Now, normally the sensible thing to do in this situation would be to turn around and tip-toe as far away from the ancient horror as possible, but Ingish had other plans.

He climbed down a fungiwood tree and viciously assaulted the monster with his bare hands and teeth. While still hanging from the tree branches he maimed Cuthabe's trunk and bruised its heart, guts and lungs with his relentless punching and biting. Cuthabe snapped furiously at Ingish but he dodged the beast's attacks effortlessly, having been trained in martial arts since four years old. Cuthabe didn't manage to land a single hit at Ingish until he passed out from exhaustion at which point it managed to kick his leg, bruising it slightly. Pain from the injury woke Ingish up from his torpor and he renewed his merciless beating, covering the cavern floor with Cuthabes toxic blood. Cuthabe seemed to realize that this tiny naked figure could actually pose a threat and tried to disengage and run away from the crazed dwarf. Ingish jumped down from the tree and ran after it, soon catching up with the limping monster.

Dwarf and monster were locked up in deadly combat for days, but gradually the tide of battle seemed to shift to Cuthabe's side. Ingish kept collapsing from exhaustion and the beast used every opportunity batter the helpless dwarf. Meanwhile the monster's injuries healed at an unnatural rate; even destroyed internal organs soon regained their function. It started to become apparent who would win this fight.

In the end, after four days of battle, Cuthabe managed to land a killing blow to Ingish's head when he passed out the fourth or fifth time. The broken and bleeding monster stood wavering over unlucky graduate's mangled body, trumpeting triumphantly in the cavern's darkness.

Rest in peace Ingish, I'll make sure you'll get a proper dwarven funeral. For a while I really thought you'd make it.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37466 on: October 11, 2014, 07:19:32 am »

Rest in peace Ingish, I'll make sure you'll get a proper dwarven funeral. For a while I really thought you'd make it.

This... you...

... dammit, there's something in my eye.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37467 on: October 11, 2014, 11:07:41 am »

You'd better send in the military to finish the work!

Lest you want a were-forgotten beast against you...
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37468 on: October 11, 2014, 01:41:11 pm »

You'd better send in the military to finish the work!

Lest you want a were-forgotten beast against you...
Depending on the werebeast type and the forgotten beast, it may be easier to kill when turned.
I also don't think forgotten beasts can turn.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #37469 on: October 11, 2014, 02:22:22 pm »

I'm actually letting the fishermen fish, this time. It's going pretty well.

Related: also built my first well below the river; last time I flooded half the fortress because I forgot that water pressure was a thing.

Edit: a High Master Carpenter entered a strange mood. Kind of a waste; was hoping I'd get a smith mood at some point.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 02:28:35 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
Pages: 1 ... 2496 2497 [2498] 2499 2500 ... 3842