Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2476 2477 [2478] 2479 2480 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120157 times)

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37155 on: September 16, 2014, 07:28:58 am »

Whee, my wind farm is up and running!  :D
I call it, "The Finger unto the Heavens"
Code: [Select]
   ╔═╗
   ║☼║
   ║║║
   ║║║<
   ║☼║╥
   ║║║╨o
╔══╝║o>╚╗
║☼==☼==☼║
╠╦╦╗║╔╦╦╣
╠╩╩╝║╚╩╩╣
║☼==☼==☼║
╚═══════╝

This is the level below the actual windmills.
It was originally supposed to be a cross-shaped cluster of 5 windmills, connected to a main axle by the center gear, but that didn't produce enough power in the low-wind area (only 20 per windmill), so I added one on the end of the N branch and two on the sides of the S branch.
(It should be secure when the drawbridge (raises S) on the E branch is closed, right? Or can fliers break in through a windmill?)

Now my dwarves can comfort themselves with some lovely mist.  :) A welcome relief in a fortress filled with the restless haunts of former residents and almost completely devoid of beds...

Also, I noticed an annoying little oversight: a cave-in had knocked a hole to the floor of my main entrance corridor, resulting in a passage too narrow for wagons. I only noticed this when the merchants came with a "their wagons have bypassed your inaccessible site" warning. Too late to fix the floor for this trading season.

Oh well, at least I managed to foist a metric f[gently caress]ton of (xsheep wool sockx)s on the remaining merchants, making them extatic with all the treasure they hoarded. Maybe they will bring something useful next time.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 10:31:26 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37156 on: September 16, 2014, 09:19:30 am »

My dwarves had a good old fashioned roflstomp on a chained up human.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No guys, dont kill him in a quick manner, curbstomp him first.

They kicked him in the eyes and pulled out his teeth before chopping off his legs.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 09:21:13 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37157 on: September 16, 2014, 09:54:27 am »

What was probably the least epic battle in the history of Dwarf Fortress finally came to an end in the caverns, when the crundle that a blood man was uselessly flailing at finally scored a hit and broke the blood man's lower body.
There's 34 pages of combat log consisting mostly of "The Blood Man hits the Crundle in <body part>, but the attack glances away!" and "The Crundle misses the Blood Man!" before that.

(Side note: giant bats are remarkably badass. One even gained a name for killing an organic Forgotten Beast.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 09:56:09 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37158 on: September 16, 2014, 11:26:34 am »

...I have no words for this.
No.
Words.
 :o

I was literally laughing and crying at the same time when I saw this.
(The werehyena already had murdered poor Dodók's mom before starting to torture her. The few bolts a heroic marksdwarf put in the vile creature before that were a cold comfort, because it regenerated all wounds upon turning back into a female human and making its escape.
Oh, and Dodók is still alive, albeit understandably miserable, by the way.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:28:44 am by Sus »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37159 on: September 16, 2014, 11:50:00 am »

Currently fiddling around with the only building challenge worthy of DF 0.40.x: Dwarfs in Trees.

The way those work (or rather, mostly don't) is quite confusing. I think it's already well-known that cutting a tree trunk somewhere in the canopy causes a cave-in and fells the whole tree, you (probably) can't "prune" it. Solid constructions conflict with trees - trees won't grow into a wall, but building a wall or floor in any part of a tree (branches or twigs) also makes the tree disappear completely. Bridges, however, can be built right into trees. I don't yet understand how exactly they work, because they often end up unpassable. Bridges built above trees make the area underneath "inside" so you can build beds, chairs, tables and sarcophagi on the branches, _but_ this doesn't seem to work for thick branches and tiles under bits of tree trunk - it appears that those give an "outside" status to tiles below, even if the trunk/branch itself is "inside". Might be related to the "underground aboveground" tiles that pop up when tunnelling out the tiles under tree trunks.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37160 on: September 16, 2014, 06:08:30 pm »

Spoiler: Status Update (click to show/hide)
Seems like the most popular profession is Children, followed closed by Other Animals.

We finally breach magma in The Cheerful Land o 3rd Felsite, and we decide to cristen it with a husk.
And down it goes.
That last message is a little weird. I thought complaining was Hikari's job?
Well, after sleeping, he jumps to Very Unhappy. The power of waterfalls makes it all okay.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37161 on: September 16, 2014, 07:08:01 pm »

My Tree-Beard test site has finally cracked the puzzles of constructing in trees.

Bridges are a very useful tool to build your tree city, because they don't cause trees to disappear and can be built over pretty much all tree features. They are also a fairly cheap way of turning deeper branches "inside" to allow building the basic desired rooms. However, there are two very strange behaviours (.40.11):

- in order to provide "cover",  a bridge must be constructed over empty space. Where bridges intersect with branches or twigs, this doesn't work. It's tile-specific: if some tiles of one bridge are on twigs and others on open space, the area under the twigs is "outside", the area under open space "inside".
- bridges allow building connections between trees. However, bridges only allow passage over empty space, not over twigs. That's a pretty weird feature and was quite a puzzle, but once i worked it out and started building connecting bridges with this restriction in mind, i could connect pretty much anything - all you need are empty tiles adjacent to branches, and that can be found in most trees (usually diagonally adjacent, but that doesn't restrict dwarven pathing). Branches (and trunks) can support bridges.

The starting fish cleaner got into a fight with a capybara and jumped off a tree, mangling his hand. I only noticed because he kept flashing the white cross. After assigning a hospital and CMD, he was cared for, but i had to wait for the autumn caravan - he needed traction, and i hadn't brought stones. The caravan brought no stones either, but they brought some stone blocks (to jump-start the furnace section with a kiln and wood furnace) and some copper cages and instruments (for the mechanism). And he still got stuck in traction.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37162 on: September 17, 2014, 04:12:44 am »

I've got 86 dwarves with 72 approaching undead (led by a dwarf surgeon necromancer, fittingly), and of those dwarves only seven are military: four legendary but very poorly dressed marksdwarves (firing high-tech wooden arrows), a single legendary axedwarf that punches a lot, and two new peasants that will probably lose their minds when they see the zombie-wall across the river..

For fortress defense I've got a wooden door that leads to a spiral passageway that has around eight cage traps in it.. Previous to this the only trouble they've had was a were-hyena and a small group of 6 kobolds.. I've got tons of wooden buildings on the surface that I'd hoped would be set on fire by a good fiery enemy, but it looks like they'll be Raccoon City instead, pretty soon..

These little guys were mostly craftsmen and cooks, and spent their days making fancy booze out of fancy plants, stacking up mountains of prepared meals, and running glass furnaces around the clock to make material for a glass castle (got the bottom floor walled and about 20% floored before the zombpocalypse here..)..

I've savescummed this one (my first time ever!) and I'm going to find a way to repel this horde :| Or fail miserably five or six times and give up ;)

The zombies, before a single drop of blood gets shed (where they are on the scummed save..):

Visus Draconis

• Bay Watcher
  • Prognosticationist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37163 on: September 17, 2014, 05:51:09 am »

I reclaimed a computer-generated fortress in an area with plentiful iron ores, coal, and a full complement of magma forges. (The forges were already there when I set up camp.) What I found strange was that the fortress was essentially a square keep with walls of native platinum, and that there was a layer of sand two Z-levels above. Also in the caverns, I found a bridge that stretched above the water, connecting two divided parts of the cave. That let a Troglodyte and a couple of naked mole dogs in, which my war dogs tore apart.

In the depths, I found a multitude of statues and 3x3 rooms connected by hallways. One room had a collection of cast-off clothing. Whoever built the place must either have left in such a hurry that they forewent all clothing. But then, how did that pile become so orderly?

"Armok, I would like a set of ☼adamantine socks☼ for the winter holiday."

Syndrome-causing cloud of creeping mist appears at the edge of the map.

"I'll take that as a no."

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #37164 on: September 17, 2014, 08:26:37 am »

I believe I defeated a siege with the power of boredom.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37165 on: September 17, 2014, 09:10:41 am »

I'm going to try to do a prison fort, which was an idea someone posted quite a while back....I'm trying to find the thread. (found it: here)

And so much for that fort! Welp! Were-elk in the first autumn for the loss.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37166 on: September 17, 2014, 09:59:44 am »

I have a minor tragedy brewing. While digging out the moat there was a mining accident in which Asob Shakenwind broke his hand and sustained a compound fracture to his wrist. He had just arrived in an immigrant wave, the third miner of Bogbulwarks. The new hospital is ready for the very first patient and he is taken care of by Monom Pearchambers, chief medical dwarf and only medical personnel as of yet. She is a novice diagnostician, but patches him up and puts him in traction.

Now, at this point it has been several months and I check in on Asob to find three things:
1) The handsome devil has become romantically involved with Monom Pearchambers (who dreams of raising a family) during his stay in the hospital
2) By frantically Florence Nightinggaling him, Monom has raised her diagnostician skill to 'Expert'. Mind you, he is her first and only patient.
3) He has developed an infection.

There is no soap in the fort. I am scrambling to get some made, but the process is proving slow due to a lack of tallow. So help me Armok, I want this little fucker to pull through...
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37167 on: September 17, 2014, 11:16:37 am »

After three long lasting forts (20+years I reckon) I finally started a new one, with a single task: magma.

I haven't seen, and hence used, magma in any of the previous fortresses. I consider myself to be a failure when it comes to proper fortress management...

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37168 on: September 17, 2014, 11:32:03 am »

It is the late spring of 251, my fort population has reached 44, and a visit from an elven caravan has been successful, despite their walking past our lumberjacks demolishing a forest on the way in. Elves have become a lot more reasonable since Boatmurdered. The military is now 2 marksdwarves, who refuse to shoot at targets but are happy to lead demonstrations in the barracks, and 2 axedwarves, one of whom is convinced he is a marksdwarf despite being assigned a steel axe and no bolts. They are currently being equipped with steel armour, ready to enter the first cavern layer and face forgotten beasts.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37169 on: September 17, 2014, 02:09:45 pm »

I had a siege, and the siegers decided to flee from battle into an onrush of dog in what was perhaps the dumbest thing ever.

Many dogs were lost, but I don't understand if they fled because the dogs became actively assigned or what.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 2476 2477 [2478] 2479 2480 ... 3842