Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2475 2476 [2477] 2478 2479 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120382 times)

elpreda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37140 on: September 15, 2014, 09:29:19 am »

My mini-forge loving mayor was a little shy, lots of friends, no lovers.
So I got her a hotel date with a hot lady... a King Cobra lady... Needless to say, the experience left her foaming...

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37141 on: September 15, 2014, 10:47:07 am »

I abandoned my longest running fort of 9.5 years. I was still burring dwarfs from a major siege slaughter(1yr+ before) in which I lost over 50% of my adult population (140->60) when I got sieged again and figured out that i didn't have my defenses built correctly. (Floor hatches aren't below you--as if they were in the floor--so the trolls were able to destroy them and kids started dieing. I was decently pleased with that fort, but it had certainly stalled after the first bad siege, and I doubted I'd really get it going after this second siege, if anyone survived at all.

That fort was established before 2014, so I've now downloaded the latest newb pack and installed 40.11. I'm going to try to do a prison fort, which was an idea someone posted quite a while back....I'm trying to find the thread. (found it: here)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 10:51:19 am by indyofcomo »

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37142 on: September 15, 2014, 10:52:41 am »

My reclaimed ruin fort has now reached a population of 21, is defended by drawbridges, and has its core industries working. Dwarves are the only civilisation nearby. Deep below, there are magma forges, apparently disconnected from the rest of the fort. The trade depot was full of goods, which we have appropriated for the new fort.

An unfortunate thing happened in the autumn - the trade caravan arrived and the broker was On Break, so a miner stood in instead. Despite offering the traders a 3000 profit, they refused to trade and left pouting and calling us all childish. And these were dwarves, not elves. If the alcohol, food and clothing supply lasts another year, we shall try to trade again, and if they still refuse...they may be introduced to magma. It was inevitable.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37143 on: September 15, 2014, 11:19:01 am »

"Look buddy, I'm a Dwarven Engineer. That means I solve problems.
Not problems like, 'What is beauty?', because that would fall under the purview of your conundrums of philosophy.
I solve practical problems, like 'How am I going to power that artificial waterfall dozens of z-levels below the surface?'
The answer: use windmills. And if that don't work? Use more windmills."
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #37144 on: September 15, 2014, 11:25:54 am »

Or just make it power itself and just kickstart it by manually powering one of the pumps. Only in DF.

Meanwhile, my main miner got in a bad accident including cave-ins, lots of dust and a 1z-level fall which caused him to "split his neck into gore". I was pretty sure I lost him, but I noticed that he did not lose hold of his pick... Some time later a doctor came and diagnosed him with just some nerves severed without impairing movement. That made my day.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37145 on: September 15, 2014, 03:14:52 pm »

This made me happy.  Only worth 800 bucks, but its a double masterpiece, and a sign of my dedicated production of goods.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Other than that, I have some magic tallow roast thats worth a gazillion bucks and also a minotaur and FB who are stuck trying to kill doors.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37146 on: September 15, 2014, 03:39:11 pm »

2 cloth in yak horns ? What is this madness ?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37147 on: September 15, 2014, 03:51:03 pm »

2 cloth in yak horns ? What is this madness ?

My dwarves have no friends.  Literally none of them are friends with another, and only have marriage and family to bind them, so they draw a lot of nothing.  never mind the zombies killing sieges or burning ogres or the murder of the olm man diplomat or the Rotting military.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37148 on: September 15, 2014, 04:22:50 pm »

I'm seriously considering making a Minecart Education thread when the .40 versions have stabilised, there are tons of half-understood features and misconceptions concerning them.

Oh please!

Speaking of which, I tried to build your MPL NOT gate from the wiki, but I couldn't figure out how to get it started. I tried defining a route and stop set to push, but the loop is so short that the dwarf who pushed it kept getting hit in the back by the cart. This is a problem i have with a lot of minecart logic, how does one get the cart on the track and started? Please include that sort of thing in your thread.

Thanks in advance,

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37149 on: September 15, 2014, 05:56:00 pm »

Aww yeah! Just got a ruby door, and a sapphire hatch cover! Not only did I just make my fortress quadruple in wealth, but not, if I move everything but the trade depot, underground, I'll have an impenatrable fortress! Limestone, bitimous coal, and a ton of iron for nine stone layers, tons of cassiterite and tetrahydrite below that, gold under that, this fortress will be perfect!
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37150 on: September 15, 2014, 06:13:44 pm »

A minecart instruction thread (sans video) would be most useful to me as well. They're a complete mystery to me at the moment. Also, I've never had a successful burrow incident yet.

Instead, I've been having fun.  ;D

Just finished building my Dwarf Car-Wash-&-Shower, and I was running dwarves through it, marvelling at all the blood, (and at how dwarves are suddenly happy when viewing a waterfall) when my military commander was repeatedly bitten by a weretortoise. Trying to seperate her (she was unconcious, so I couldn't just station her somewhere, dwarves kept helpfully taking her to a bed) led to her suddenly resurfacing as a tortoise. She attacked and killed her baby, the rest of the squad, and several random helpers, before being put down. "Right." says I, "At least she didn't bite anyone she didn't kill".  :D

...and an announcement quietly informs me that a dwarf has just been found dead, drained of blood... Thaaat doesn't sound like more Weretortoise issues. Nosiree.  ::)

Fun!

(Do not fear, I am now researching vampirism before I allow the fun to continue)
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37151 on: September 15, 2014, 07:53:44 pm »

I'm seriously considering making a Minecart Education thread when the .40 versions have stabilised, there are tons of half-understood features and misconceptions concerning them.

Speaking of which, I tried to build your MPL NOT gate from the wiki, but I couldn't figure out how to get it started.

I can suggest two options:
a) put the "push" stop outside the circuit itself. Track directions are mostly treated as a gentle suggestion by the game engine, you can just add a "dead end" and push the cart from there:
Code: [Select]
   ╔═╗
#▲^▼▼╝P
Just push the cart "west" from a route stop at P. You can have a track end engraved under it, but it's not really necessary. As long as the circuit is constructed properly, the cart should settle into it.
b) put your route stop on top of the hatch. When the hatch opens, the cart falls into the pit and starts cycling. The hatch can be triggered by an extra lever, apart from the normal trigger. Just remember to return the lever to "neutral" after starting, or the circuit might send the wrong output initially.
I regularly use hatch drops to start minecart circuits. It's a quick and very safe method.

One thing to remember with this, like with many other MPL circuits: build it underground. Those devices can malfunction in the weirdest ways when built under open sky or under a ceiling with holes in it.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #37152 on: September 15, 2014, 10:53:21 pm »

The traders have come for the year, the liaison said prepared food was a top dollar item, so I sent three barrels of the stuff along with the standard trade goods... bought 100 rock nuts to finally start my quarry bush crops after four years of quarry bush-less growing seasons (not that we're having food shortages, but I don't like not being able to grow a full rotation of crops)... also got a bunch of bins of cloth and leather for the hell of it and a handful of steel anvils because I've given up on finding iron ore at this site and the Mountainhome doesn't have any either... Also sold them an emu, surely the fools in mountainhome will soon be clamboring to get their own and the price of emus will skyrocket... By next year I will probably do the same with badgers...

Now then, I can focus on fixing my water system and catching giant cave animals

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37153 on: September 15, 2014, 11:23:15 pm »

Using a shaft-of-enlightenmant, danger room, and coinstar all together. Tried dropping a very unfriendly dwarf in their from high above, but it turns out him and another worship the same deity. They're now friends. I don't think I could handle three legendary weapon users, dodgers, armor and shield users having a tantrum.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37154 on: September 16, 2014, 01:44:48 am »

A forgotten beast has shown up! It is a giant... dangerous... blob made of... snow. Beware its webs!

...I just got attacked by a snowball. A stupid snowball, at that, because those caverns are locked up tight.

Appending: Another one showed up, made of fire opal this time. It's been tussling with the local fauna for a while, and bathing in the stagnant underground ponds. It's also got various injuries including a missing foot; most of its injuries are self-inflicted because it's apparently not immune to its own boiling, poisonous gas excretions. How did this thing survive long enough to get "Forgotten"?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 05:56:57 am by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!
Pages: 1 ... 2475 2476 [2477] 2478 2479 ... 3842