Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2457 2458 [2459] 2460 2461 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5978588 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36870 on: August 30, 2014, 04:50:14 pm »

I believe I'm at the beginning of a potentially disastrous loyalty cascade.
A weaponsmith was possessed and went mad.  He attacked a dog and a gem setter set to his face with a club and beat him into the ground.

Suddenly there are crossbow bolts flying around the entrance of the fortress and the overseer is hacking children into shreds with a silver great axe.

The sister of the deceased weaponsmith is plotting revenge, after getting into a fight and getting her son killed. She attacked a miner who promptly split her skull. That seems to be most of the drama taken care of, actually.

Oh dear...
It'll probably maybe settle down. If you're lucky all the people involved will kill each other off.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36871 on: August 30, 2014, 04:55:59 pm »

Wait, what?  It turned from a husk into a human through the magic of  lycanthrophy?  And was no longer undead?  O_O

Wait what? Did this actually happen? Can Lycanthropy cure husks?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36872 on: August 30, 2014, 05:02:01 pm »

Wait, what?  It turned from a husk into a human through the magic of  lycanthrophy?  And was no longer undead?  O_O

I know it can't cure it, but I don't know if you can revert back if you were infected while a husk werebeast.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 05:07:51 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36873 on: August 30, 2014, 05:06:26 pm »

A terrifying ocean estuary wrapped in Untamed Wilds. This embark was always a little insane. Praise be to Armok, there's no husking rain or sandstorms, but there are periodic raids by giant crab shells. I butchered a bull in a moment of desperation, and a slight misplacement of my garbage chute left me with an immortal 'bull head hair' It could not take damage, all attacks 'passed right through' and it could not do damage either, on account of it 'has no force!'. So that was an interesting one. My civilians, brave as they are, charged it. I kept having to pull them away with burrows, but then it got inside. So suddenly no work was getting done in favor of wrestling this head hair thing. I tried to cage it, but it was sitting on my only free cages. After probably six months of this, I have three legendary militia, a legendary hammerdwarf that is supposed to use a crossbow, and finally, finally, a head hair in a cage. I'm still not sure what to do with it.

Legendary hammerdwarves with crossbows work pretty well on giant crabs, as it turns out. Sadly there's no meat on a dead crab, but the shells make neat hats.

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #36874 on: August 30, 2014, 05:30:05 pm »

I believe I'm at the beginning of a potentially disastrous loyalty cascade.
A weaponsmith was possessed and went mad.  He attacked a dog and a gem setter set to his face with a club and beat him into the ground.

Suddenly there are crossbow bolts flying around the entrance of the fortress and the overseer is hacking children into shreds with a silver great axe.

The sister of the deceased weaponsmith is plotting revenge, after getting into a fight and getting her son killed. She attacked a miner who promptly split her skull. That seems to be most of the drama taken care of, actually.

Oh dear...
It'll probably maybe settle down. If you're lucky all the people involved will kill each other off.

Yep, after some more grumbling they've all settle down.

In the meantime, someone constructed a mace out of donkey hair...

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36875 on: August 30, 2014, 05:32:20 pm »

The elf liason kindly asked that we limit our treefalls until he next arrived, but we had to turn him down.  After all, I'm not quite sure how long it will be until he returns, after he left from the edge of the bottommost level in the fortress.  We shall see... :)

Meanwhile, we have become the proud owners of two artifact diorite figurines, worth *2400 apiece.  It looks like yarn cloth is the new "shell".
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 05:34:14 pm by Dorf and Dumb »

Urist McPanzerbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36876 on: August 30, 2014, 05:37:43 pm »

My first fort since about december-ish, as I spent most of the time after that waiting for 0.40 and then waiting for the worst of the bugs to be stamped out. I got to winter, and encountered this fella:

I now have a lot of dead dwarves, a tantruming child beating up my geese, a depressed miner sulking in the meeting hall, a dwarf in a fey-mood screaming for tanned hides, and my one remaining healthy, sane dwarf, who is more concerned with moving things around the place than doing anything useful.

...I love this game.

(actually, on that note, I've butchered all of my dogs, since I really need that fey dwarf to finish his artifact and become useful again, but even though the butchering has yielded dog skin, I can't set a task in the tanner's workshop for it? I'm sure dog skin should be tannable, but the game thinks I don't have any tannable hides. Any ideas?)
Hey, you sass that hoopy Urist McDwarf? There's a frood who really knows where his booze is.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36877 on: August 30, 2014, 05:39:19 pm »

Hoistmetals has been founded in a world without titans (though still rife with mighty beasts,) at the farthest west border of a powerful dwarven nation in the elf dominated savage forests of the regional heartlands, with the hope/intent of facing the goblins in a manner that encourages them to advance on Hoistmetals, what with it being the closest settlement and all. The two starting militia dwarves have been tasked as odd-job workers, building crap and hauling items as needed until they can get suited up with thier basic gear.

I also seem to have for once gotten a nation that isn't composed of complete pansies who value all that elvish nonsense of peace and harmony! Now to put thier... Well, genericness to use. Once the basics are taken care of and some more workers arrive, I am cage trapping the shit out of the good side of the map. There will be unicorn meat for all in time.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36878 on: August 30, 2014, 05:45:08 pm »

(actually, on that note, I've butchered all of my dogs, since I really need that fey dwarf to finish his artifact and become useful again, but even though the butchering has yielded dog skin, I can't set a task in the tanner's workshop for it? I'm sure dog skin should be tannable, but the game thinks I don't have any tannable hides. Any ideas?)

Where are the skins? It may help to get them inside and close to the tanner's workshop. Are your orders set to allow dwarves to collect outside refuse?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36879 on: August 30, 2014, 05:52:10 pm »

Where are the skins? It may help to get them inside and close to the tanner's workshop. Are your orders set to allow dwarves to collect outside refuse?

I always park my tannery directly next to the butchery. I never have a stockpile for the skins, either. Also, everyone that farms, also tans. This means that tanning is always done nigh-instantly.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36880 on: August 30, 2014, 06:31:26 pm »

Yes, but is your butchering of the dogs and other animals done inside or outside? If it's done outside, then unless you have it set so that dwarves will gather refuse from outside they will never collect the skin and bones from the animals killed in your butcher's shop in order to tan the hides.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36881 on: August 30, 2014, 06:54:33 pm »

I'm trying to recuperate after a bronze colossus attack. I had 50+ dwarves, now about half that. Luckily, they survived because the colossus was busy killing the 40+ kittens and puppies, along with about 3/4ths of my military (all wusses because I'm afraid to let them spar... I'm reconsidering. Let all dwarves that get mortal wounds die!). It died because it kept walking over weapon traps next to a door. It would walk onto them to start killing the door, then see a kitten to kill, then kill it, then walk back, then start again, then see a dwarf to kill, kill it, come back, etc. Took about 7 times to kill the bugger. My army managed to scratch its right arm. Damn them. Now I have to keep my mayor alive but I used my last bucket on an ashery and my dwarves are too busy tantruming to make more. A true disaster, but one thing makes it awesome: losing is fun! Yay!<P>Speaking of engravings, a while ago (before the attack) I got one of a dwarf in the fetal position. I'd love to see the ones I'll get now.<P>Off to make 25 coffins!

Deconstruct Ashery, get bucket.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36882 on: August 30, 2014, 07:14:14 pm »

Another WereElk shows up. It forgot to bring Zombrex.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But even lycanthrophy can't save you from The Cheerful Lands
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I know it can't cure it, but I don't know if you can revert back if you were infected while a husk werebeast.

The only evidence I have is (1) this occurance and (2) after you kill a husk, the game will announce "Urist has been struck down". I can only surmise that husks are not actually undead, but still alive.
So I guess what happened is that the WereElk appeared, fought some ash covered zombies, got husked (alive), killed those zombies, transformed to a human (removed husk condition/interaction), then got beaten by some remaining zombies.

And that's the story of how the human and the goblin zombies all died together.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36883 on: August 30, 2014, 07:15:37 pm »

I'm trying to recuperate after a bronze colossus attack. I had 50+ dwarves, now about half that. Luckily, they survived because the colossus was busy killing the 40+ kittens and puppies, along with about 3/4ths of my military (all wusses because I'm afraid to let them spar... I'm reconsidering. Let all dwarves that get mortal wounds die!). It died because it kept walking over weapon traps next to a door. It would walk onto them to start killing the door, then see a kitten to kill, then kill it, then walk back, then start again, then see a dwarf to kill, kill it, come back, etc. Took about 7 times to kill the bugger. My army managed to scratch its right arm. Damn them. Now I have to keep my mayor alive but I used my last bucket on an ashery and my dwarves are too busy tantruming to make more. A true disaster, but one thing makes it awesome: losing is fun! Yay!<P>Speaking of engravings, a while ago (before the attack) I got one of a dwarf in the fetal position. I'd love to see the ones I'll get now.<P>Off to make 25 coffins!

Deconstruct Ashery, get bucket.

Dwarves don't kill each other sparring these days. Have them spar as often as they want.

Urist McPanzerbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36884 on: August 30, 2014, 07:19:13 pm »

Yes, but is your butchering of the dogs and other animals done inside or outside? If it's done outside, then unless you have it set so that dwarves will gather refuse from outside they will never collect the skin and bones from the animals killed in your butcher's shop in order to tan the hides.

I always park my tannery directly next to the butchery. I never have a stockpile for the skins, either. Also, everyone that farms, also tans. This means that tanning is always done nigh-instantly.

It's indoors, right next to my butcher's. It seemed to work once the skin got stockpiled, strangely enough, I guess the skin was marked for stockpiling and it couldn't be used until my one useful dwarf got around to it? I'm not entirely sure how that works, but either way, it's fine now. I doubt I can recover from this, but I shall try. Thanks much.
Hey, you sass that hoopy Urist McDwarf? There's a frood who really knows where his booze is.
Pages: 1 ... 2457 2458 [2459] 2460 2461 ... 3839