Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2444 2445 [2446] 2447 2448 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5958617 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36675 on: August 20, 2014, 11:33:00 pm »

My dwarves are starving despite the floor being littered with peaches.
Why dwarves.
Why will you not pick them up off the ground? They're fruits, not contaminants, no matter what you hairy midgets may think.

I understand being apprehensive of nature but maybe that's a bit far.

speaking of, is there any way to harvest fruit/etc from the tree or from the ground? Because that's a LOT of food BOOZE going to waste on the ground

Not at present to my knowledge.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #36676 on: August 20, 2014, 11:37:37 pm »

Nope, not yet. Toady said he intends to do that sometime. Hopefully sometime soon.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36677 on: August 20, 2014, 11:40:54 pm »

....awww......

*shelves plans for tree orchard*
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Mismatch

• Escaped Lunatic
  • This is HooliganintheFort
    • View Profile
« Reply #36678 on: August 20, 2014, 11:56:27 pm »

Barely survived a food and booze shortage and my the outside world froze. Using v40.06 save.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #36679 on: August 21, 2014, 12:39:34 am »

A human diplomat came.

She's a vampire, and a law-giver.

She's wearing a crown made out of human bone.

Should I be concerned yet :I

I'm pretty sure I read about a vampire diplomat killing dwarves while visiting...

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36680 on: August 21, 2014, 05:07:21 am »

Had another one of those weird glitches where a dwarf seems to fly along a corridor for several squares for no reason, crashing into bystanders along the way. This time an engraver was left lying unconscious with his arm broken from skidding along the floor.

Interestingly he was not carried to a hospital but was given first aid and field surgery right there and then. With uncharacteristic efficiency he was washed, operated, stitched, bandaged and splinted in less time than it takes a dwarf to get thirsty; soon he was back smoothing out the same corridor he had his accident in.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36681 on: August 21, 2014, 05:17:31 am »

Had another one of those weird glitches where a dwarf seems to fly along a corridor for several squares for no reason, crashing into bystanders along the way. This time an engraver was left lying unconscious with his arm broken from skidding along the floor.

Interestingly he was not carried to a hospital but was given first aid and field surgery right there and then. With uncharacteristic efficiency he was washed, operated, stitched, bandaged and splinted in less time than it takes a dwarf to get thirsty; soon he was back smoothing out the same corridor he had his accident in.
They probably just jumped. Sometimes dwarves (and other animals) jump for no discernible reason.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36682 on: August 21, 2014, 05:24:12 am »

The new king is thinking about the former king. "He has lost an annoying acquaintance to tragedy recently".

[EDIT] About a year later I get this message from a dwarf liaison. ...

Code: [Select]
A year ago Olin Tongsnourished became king of The First Chambers, replacing Etur Strokewhip. A year ago Minkot Goldtrussed became expedition leader of The Oar of Labyrinths, replacing Etur Strokewhip.
I know. Everything there happened in my fortress!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 09:08:05 am by ptb_ptb »
()==[:::::::::::::>

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36683 on: August 21, 2014, 09:43:59 am »

Finally playing the latest version after one year without play.
3 scenes to illustrate this:

"It's important to get the fortress right the first time, Urist! Because the Overseer has OCD and won't tolerate having to construct underground walls or some bullshit like that."
"Yes, Expedition Leader!"
"We'll have to carefully study the landscape and make all the furniture we need very quickly. There are giant animals and goblins abound, they could eat us right there if we don't have a safe place ready."
"Ayup, but since us dwarves are little bitches, we're likely going to murder each other into a tantrum spiral if our living conditions are not good enough, survival or not!"
"Delicate balance there."
*arrival on the actual site, with OMG huge trees*
"... fuck that, let's kill two birds with one stone. Cut down as many trees as possible to piss off the elves, and we'll build a momentary wooden fort with it while we design and mine out the definitive one."

-----

"Why the fuck is Urist McHunter stuck up in a tree?"
"I suppose he's hunting the giant boars up there?"
"... why the fuck are there giant boars stuck up trees?"

-----

"Okay, we've inaugurated the actual underground fortress. We can put an end to the heresy of living in an upperground wooden fort. Urist, pull the lever!"
"Yes, Expedition Leader!"
*lever pulled*
"Why isn't it crumbling down in a glorious rain of wood logs?"
"I believe that'd be because of that tree supporting it."
"Oh godsdamnit. Cut down that stupid fucking tree and try not to get crushed."
*tree cut down*
"Why the fuck is it still up in the air?"
"Turns out there's another tree. Wouldn't have believed such a small apple tree could have supported 10 z-levels of tower. I'd swear it's also leaning menacingly above us..."
"Okay, cut down that stupid fucking tree, and if there's a third one, fuck it, set it on fire, I don't care how. Oh, good, no third tree. Let's move the crushed corpses over to the coffins quickly, guys."
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36684 on: August 21, 2014, 10:26:42 am »

Popped open .09, began a new fort. Didn't note that there was a little corner of Haunted. A weasel zombie has now made my starting seven into a legendary everything, but refuses to die. Everyone's unhappy and dehydrated, but just won't stop chasing and ganging over the poor roadkill.

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36685 on: August 21, 2014, 02:35:28 pm »

Started getting random cave-ins that would start at the top level of my aquifer-pierced underground tower, and shoot through till they hit something solid.

Took me quite some time to realize what was going on.

When I did the aquifer pierce, I dropped a giant footprint of the tower down 2z levels.  This cause a massive cave-in, and threw all kinds of stuff in the air.

The mud... is still there.  Using K shows these tiles that are 2z levels up are 'muddy'.  That's one half of the problem.

The second half is I pierced the caverns.  Helloooo spores.  Spores took to the hovering mud, grew a little, then realized there was nothing below them (I guess gravity was on hold while they remained ignorant), and came crashing down through my fort.  Cave-ins killed 8 or 9 of my turkeys and 3 random dwarfs, not the mention creating skylights through my fort.

Then I realized one of the cave-ins blew my vampire off his open-air perch 2z levels up, and he had drained one of my two miners.  No witnesses, of course, in the middle of a 30-bed dorm that doubles as a smithing area and food production. 

One of the few times I feel justified save-scumming.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36686 on: August 21, 2014, 05:01:32 pm »

Got bored of my last ocean fortress so decided to do something different than I usually do.  I embarked and then immediately dug straight down until I found a cavern.  Started setting up shop there when I noticed a crevice snaking across the floor.  Followed it down and found a hoard of Crundles at the bottom.   :o

So I figure I'd have time to floor up the crevice before they pop out(I had no idea if there were dangerous, I don't do stuff in the caverns very often), but sadly no they rushed right up.  I immediately drafted all my dwarfs into the military and watched them run around like keystone cops alternating between whacking the tar out of the crundles and running away in fear.   :P

In the end my dwarfs only suffered a few bruises, although two of them must have fallen down the cliffside as I found 1 moping at the bottom of the cavern and another sitting on a tree at the bottom of the cavern.  I've dug them both out, and all seven dwarfs are ready to make a go of things again.   :D
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36687 on: August 21, 2014, 05:03:17 pm »

A necro siege made it inside. My militia of three fought of the twelve or so that got past the cage traps, but the reanimation of the parts has caused no end of hassle. About six people are dead and the zombie pulper is clogged. I've made the choice to seal off the surface until further notice. Caravan or no, a tantrum spiral needs all our resources, esp. considering if someone is struck down they will get back up again.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36688 on: August 21, 2014, 05:39:12 pm »

Wanna hear a joke?

So dwarf walks into a crypt to stockpile its mummy . . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36689 on: August 21, 2014, 10:30:59 pm »

A trader evil dust husk went melancholy. I have more wood than expected because I forbade some of it a while back. A one-eyed parrot with noxious secretions appeared.  Warm stone has been located for my magma chute from Z-10 to Z-66. Water flow has transformed my "Opposed to life (Chained)" rabbit into just "Opposed to life". A site has been located to move my power further downward.
Pages: 1 ... 2444 2445 [2446] 2447 2448 ... 3838