Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2443 2444 [2445] 2446 2447 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5962352 times)

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36660 on: August 20, 2014, 12:54:48 pm »

Had five goblin ambushes and a necromancer siege at the same time... I had twice the amount of undead then regular dwarves, and equal goblins to dwarves.

And my military chased them all off with fewer then ten casualties!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #36661 on: August 20, 2014, 01:46:43 pm »

Received a load of migrants from a previous fortress, most of them in a very bad mood. One of them, a beekeeper, soon went berserk waiting for a meeting with the expedition leader. She was standing in the room with the sleeping EL so I was thinking this was about to get very ugly, but ignored her and walked out. The militia showed up and she decided to take her frustration out on them. A hunting dog I'd assigned and one of the recruits decided to nope right on out of there, but a swordsdwarf, the militia commander, another recruit and a random engraver piled on top of her. The swordsdwarf was killed in the brawl, skull caved in, and the other two militia members hospitalized. I recruited my miners and sent them into the fray, and one of them got the "killing blow" as she suffocated.

Took a while to find a suitable choice for an emergency doctor and set up a triage unit in the public dorms. The two injured militia dwarves were treated for their injuries and left within two weeks, while the engraver who piled on was throwing tantrums because the crazy lady was a friend, and some bone carver who was also a friend decided to beat up the now-hospitalized EL. Welcome to fucking Strifefulglories.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36662 on: August 20, 2014, 02:25:21 pm »

I've recently started a new fort in Masterwork. Things were going nicely throughout spring, nothing came to kill us, the carpenters worked peacefully and put up a wall.
Then summer came. Oh, at first, things were just as nice as spring.
But now, a pack of Grey Langurs has moved in.
They are throwing SHIT. At my dwarves. No harm has been done, but it's getting in the way of putting up the rest of the wall.
These fucking monkeys.. Are going. TO DIE.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 02:39:43 pm by the1337doofus »
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36663 on: August 20, 2014, 04:09:52 pm »

Joy!

I was starting to fear the relationship fix did not fix savegames started in .08, and I would be stuck with only 2 married couples, in my what I intended to be a homebred dwarf clan / immigrant pop cap 15 fort. But now, finally, after 11 years, one of my dwarves acquired a lover!
I've immediatly assigned them both a shared statue room, so they can have a marriage party when time comes.

My current design has housing blocks for separate family clans.
Married couples get a whole block dedicated, with rooms for themselves and their future children. If a child gets married, it moves out and gets it's own block.

EDIT: I wonder if there's a minimum happiness requirement for romances to develop. I do suspect my dwarves moods went from ecstatic to even more ecstatic since I installed a statue garden with masterwork statues over the meeting area recently.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 04:40:29 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #36664 on: August 20, 2014, 05:57:50 pm »

The fortress is still suffering. Further migrants arrived, mostly in terrible moods, and several went berserk. That was Fun to deal with. Expedition Leader isn't looking like a good job to have right now, as the first went insane and committed suicide in her room and the second was beaten to death by a belligerent doctor.

Said doctor went on to murder our broker while he was trading and tear down the trade depot. Good going, asshole. I locked him up, but now he's throwing tantrums and spamming cancellation messages because he can't reach a target to start more fistfights with.

Other migrants and their friends and family are going insane left and right. I need more coffins! And it's not even my fault they're unhappy, it's the last overseer's.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 06:00:30 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36665 on: August 20, 2014, 07:23:56 pm »

Things were going so well, embarked in a good biome and was setting up traps and walls to catch a whole bunch of critters, then a goblins siege came and killed my two recruited militia dwarves. Then my glassmaker went into a mood and demanded glass, in a fort with no sand. The caravan came in time to save the day, but then my dwarves loafed around and didn't built the new glass furnace, so the glassmaker went berserk and killed three dwarves before my expedition leader broke her head with a pick. Then the expedition leader panicked and started fighting my broker and then I retired the fortress...

Final population count: 13 dwarves. I wonder what the DF simulation does with tantrum spirals...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36666 on: August 20, 2014, 07:27:09 pm »

My dwarves are starving despite the floor being littered with peaches.
Why dwarves.
Why will you not pick them up off the ground? They're fruits, not contaminants, no matter what you hairy midgets may think.

I understand being apprehensive of nature but maybe that's a bit far.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36667 on: August 20, 2014, 08:32:11 pm »

An army of goblins came to my fortress, approached my walls, saw the corpses of the previous invaders, got horrified and ran away.

I DIDN'T EVEN GET TO KILL ANYONE ;_;

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36668 on: August 20, 2014, 08:40:48 pm »

An army of goblins came to my fortress, approached my walls, saw the corpses of the previous invaders, got horrified and ran away.

Makes cleaning up slightly more important. Of course, psychological warfare being used to drive away attackers is a fun feature there it seems.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36669 on: August 20, 2014, 08:55:52 pm »

Makes cleaning up slightly more important. Of course, psychological warfare being used to drive away attackers is a fun feature there it seems.

Speaking of psychological warfare

I should make a corpse catapult

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36670 on: August 20, 2014, 09:22:41 pm »

My mayor (who is also a novice weaponsmith) just went into a fey mood.
Just as planned he ended up taking the magma forge, and what he came up with is pretty awesome I think.

Ladies and gentledwarfs, I present:
" Dousedfree the Accidental Martyr, a rose gold shortsword "

I know that rose gold is not exactly a grade A weapon material, but the name is just so awesome it goes to my militia commander anyways.
Also carving up gobbos with a pink~ish 110000 dwarfbuck sword is just hilarious.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36671 on: August 20, 2014, 09:30:44 pm »

Just had two elf ambushes turned back by a combined effort of traps knocking them unconscious, captured, or dead, and my militia ensuring that the elves died. Before that, though, I had my fort's first 60 goblin siege (after all others had been about 8 gobbos each; they must have found out just how much valuable stuff my dwarves were making after I unloaded thousands of dwarfbucks of stuff on the dwarf caravan in the fall). I lost one dwarf: a trader who had also crafted an artifact figurine of an elf being slain by a goblin. Dumb dorf pathed his way right towards the goblin army, got spooked when he saw them across the river, climbed a tree, and ran towards the goblins from treetop.

After he was slain after climbing down on the river's other side surrounded by goblins about twenty of them became terrified by the corpse of the dwarf they had just slaughtered and their army quit the field before ever meeting my walls, traps, and military of 16 dwarves.

Brave, foolish Trader, you did not die in vain!

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36672 on: August 20, 2014, 10:06:22 pm »

Real life getting in the way of Zombie life. My picture backlog is getting low, so I may need to actually play the fort some more at some point...

I decide to clear out Bait Hall #5 next.
It has has the cleanest, weakest zombie of all the halls, but I still wash it anyway.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rule of Thumb: Don't re-bait the hallway until you've cleaned it completely.
I placed a new dog too early, so when the rabbit re-animated, the ensuing chase lasted just long enough for a human arm to re-animate and brain the bait dog.

Thankfully, my livestock is as plentiful as my children. Guess that's a good thing.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36673 on: August 20, 2014, 11:22:06 pm »

A human diplomat came.

She's a vampire, and a law-giver.

She's wearing a crown made out of human bone.

Should I be concerned yet :I

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36674 on: August 20, 2014, 11:24:04 pm »

My dwarves are starving despite the floor being littered with peaches.
Why dwarves.
Why will you not pick them up off the ground? They're fruits, not contaminants, no matter what you hairy midgets may think.

I understand being apprehensive of nature but maybe that's a bit far.

speaking of, is there any way to harvest fruit/etc from the tree or from the ground? Because that's a LOT of food BOOZE going to waste on the ground
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!
Pages: 1 ... 2443 2444 [2445] 2446 2447 ... 3838