Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2432 2433 [2434] 2435 2436 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120722 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36495 on: August 11, 2014, 08:13:40 pm »

A carpenter's workshop to make a dwarf bone figurine?  :o
The tools are transferable. Mostly probably.
I mean, a plane is basically the same thing as a bone saw, it just needs a little more work.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36496 on: August 11, 2014, 08:14:20 pm »

40.08 - siege! 
60 corpses plus 4 necromancers and at least one ambush.

They even hit while I had my battlements wall half down to replace the elf-accursed wood with microcline.

:)

Pity that foes seem to walk away when faced with even modest difficulty, like a kitten.

:(
//Torrenal
Note to self: Don't put any more corpses into the corpse stockpile until AFTER I finish swapping out the wall material... that was very nearly fun just now.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36497 on: August 11, 2014, 08:41:23 pm »

With the release of 40.078, many babies will disappear because that bug is presumably fixed.
Ironically, the next screenshots from The Joyful Land of Ghouls include an infant too..

Hospitals are good for the mothers, but not the children.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36498 on: August 11, 2014, 08:48:10 pm »

The only thing better would be if it was a figurine of the victim.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36499 on: August 12, 2014, 05:20:27 am »

I was wondering where two of my best soldiers went. I couldn't figure it out. I spotted some armour in the magma batteries.
Oops.
Good thing it has sections for easy drainage.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36500 on: August 12, 2014, 07:03:46 am »

Argh!

My map, which was listed when embarking as 'warm', apparently has it's river freeze 2 or 3 dwarf days a year. It just killed all carp.
Now I'm hoping I have wind power available on this map, or I'm gonna have to make a self-powered waterwheel generator.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36501 on: August 12, 2014, 08:02:59 am »

Fourth year in Searingmines.

The bookkeeper appears to have some sort of grudge against elephants. When he noticed an unconscious elephant that hunters couldn't quite bring down, he viciously attacked the creature and kept punching it until collapsing from exhaustion. Militia was needed to deal with the elephant so the bookkeeper could be pulled away from the poor animal.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #36502 on: August 12, 2014, 08:17:27 am »

Decided to embark on a new place, next a large river.

After designing the area for my woodcutter to clear a bit the insane amount of tree there was, i noticed a green A
Checked if it was what i thought it was, and indeed, an Alligator.

My last contact with an alligator was a fisherdwarf getting killed by one.

Fortunately i got several weapons on my embark, so i assign the 7 dwarves to a military squad, station them next to the now deconstructed wagon so they take arm.
And then i assign the squad to kill the alligator.

They all rushed toward the beast and at +/- 10 tiles from it ... everyone ran away in terror ... wow ... guys i know your emotion system is broken but i didn't expected that much reaction.

I forgot to remove the kill order and 1 dwarf, only 1 decided to come back after having ran away, he didn't had any weapon (i guess he dropped it somewhere) and of course got mauled by the beast , while the other cowards were still far away.

Oh well ...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 08:19:08 am by Robsoie »

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36503 on: August 12, 2014, 08:18:36 am »

After designing the area for my woodcutter to clear a bit the insane amount of tree there was, i noticed a green A

Fortunately i got several weapons on my embark, so i assign the 7 dwarves to a military squad, station them next to the now deconstructed wagon so they take arm.

They all rushed toward the beast and at +/- 10 tiles from it ... everyone ran away in terror ... wow ...
I forgot to remove the kill order and 1 dwarf, only 1 decided to come back after having ran away, he didn't had any weapon and of course got mauled by the beast , while the other cowards were still far away.

Oh well.
i was expecting that story to have a happy ending of the dwarf killing the croc
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #36504 on: August 12, 2014, 08:19:46 am »

happy ending is unfortunately not coded in Dwarf Fortress ;)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36505 on: August 12, 2014, 08:31:49 am »

Challenge time!

Embark: Haunted glacier.
One plump helmet.
One anvil.
One ore.

So far I've made it to summer, have a 5x5 pool of 7/7 melted ice water for drinking, and a 4x5 farm plot constructed on muddy stone. Time to build some rooms!

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36506 on: August 12, 2014, 08:37:23 am »

They all rushed toward the beast and at +/- 10 tiles from it ... everyone ran away in terror ... wow ... guys i know your emotion system is broken but i didn't expected that much reaction.

I forgot to remove the kill order and 1 dwarf, only 1 decided to come back after having ran away, he didn't had any weapon (i guess he dropped it somewhere) and of course got mauled by the beast , while the other cowards were still far away.

Oh well ...

Gotta add a few points in Discipline if you want to embark with some military dwarves. My first embark in .40.xx had a similar experience. Except instead of an Alligator eating someone, a Kea startled half of the starting seven off the top of the high peak I unintentionally embarked on. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:23:31 am by Repseki »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #36507 on: August 12, 2014, 09:12:40 am »

I guess until there's a fix, i'll have to mod that discpline in, as it looks like dwarves are afraid of their own shadow , very odd for those dwarves that have braved and survived a long travel from their mountainhomes, crossing hostile territories and horrible conditions to build a new fortress, only to end in running away in terror from everything.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36508 on: August 12, 2014, 11:25:28 am »

Megafortress construction has ground to a halt, as it turns out my expedition leader inherited the throne. It turns out her father the King died in battle against the Green Menace, and she ascended to the throne. This is all well and good, but my outpost had less than 20 dwarves in it, and the small room and office I'd already assigned her, while lavish for an expedition leader, are woefully inadequate for her royal personage. This must be rectified before I can do anything else, as she is my militia crossbow commander as well.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36509 on: August 12, 2014, 11:36:20 am »

I guess until there's a fix, i'll have to mod that discpline in, as it looks like dwarves are afraid of their own shadow , very odd for those dwarves that have braved and survived a long travel from their mountainhomes, crossing hostile territories and horrible conditions to build a new fortress, only to end in running away in terror from everything.
You see they were originally just going to the corner store to get some rum.  Then they saw a squirrel and had to run away, then they saw a mosquito, then a puppy, then a tiger, then a tree with odd colored leaves....  When they finally calmed down enough to get their bearings, they were halfway across the planet.
Pages: 1 ... 2432 2433 [2434] 2435 2436 ... 3842