Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2431 2432 [2433] 2434 2435 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120705 times)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36480 on: August 11, 2014, 11:26:49 am »

Excavation of megafortress mark 2 is proceeding nicely, the main chamber's top level is completely done, and is being smoothed before I dig down. In the process though, I noticed an odd bug. It seems that tiles under trees that should be marked as underground are called light, aboveground and outside...

Yes, known and tracked.  stumps, tree trunks, all incorrectly permit passage of light.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36481 on: August 11, 2014, 11:50:43 am »

Set off on an evil/savage two biome embark with an aquifer. Built a three-z wall and a roof to keep the fever-inducing slime from raining  on things, and a short minecart track to help get wood inside the walls briskly.

Then, a wereiguana shows up and kills half my militia before transforming back and being butchered by the remainder. A month later, disaster. The rest of my militia was bitten. It's a bloodbath, and one is eventually put down, at the cost of an unknown number of bites. Roughly half my dwarves have broken bones, an unknown number (at least three) have been bitten but there's not enough able-bodied labor to move the sick and injured to beds, never mind move the infected to isolation. Post-transformation they tend to get a little beaten up, so they can't move themselves. The waterfall in the dining room is smashed.

To top it all off, two necromancers from a nearby tower sneak into my fortress with some migrants and are discovered right outside the dining room. They take one look at the smear of paste that was the liaison(cave-in accident), the limbs and furniture and bodies strewn all around, and simply turn around and leave. Goblins turn up, but mostly decide the slime-covered, poor-as-dirt, full of tantrums, and blood and the stench of the fortunate dead fortress is not worth it. My markdwarf manages to take a couple shots at one, which probably doesn't help sell the place.

Lacking on curb appeal, with no way to control the slime rain (it keeps getting tracked inside! dwarven baths are insufficient technology. Either that or bridges don't keep off the rain. Probably the second, now that I think about it) the tired dwarves give up on their flip-this-house project and cut their losses and run.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #36482 on: August 11, 2014, 11:56:22 am »

Decided to embark on another aquifer, to experiment with the double slit method to pierce aquifer, as the easy and fast cave-in method fail when there are 2 layers of aquifer (that seem to happen sadly often)

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Double-slit_method

It's not complicated but it's a method that take much more time, as you must not go wrong in the steps to follow

My 4 downstairs to get into the screw pump layer :

My screw pump system above the 1st layer of the aquifer :

In which i already completed the water transfusion from one side to another, then deconstruct and rebuild to transfer to the other side, leading into the 1st layer of the aquifer now with my up/down stairs not full of water anymore :

The 2nd layer of the aquifer (that would mean that a cave in method would then have failed) :

Now was time to secure the 1st aquifer layer, as mentionned in the tutorial, it's important to not do multiple dig then walling at the same time, as water will come in after a dig and it will push the dwarves, multiple dig would mean multiple water pushing and so nonstop job cancellation.

So after taking it slow , the 1st part was secure

Then the 2nd part was secured too

Now was coming the most problematic, that even when doing it 1 at a time is still leading into many  wall construction suspending that you have to unsuspend until a dwarf finally accept to complete the job (as mentionned by the tutorial, prepare wood or stone blocks, don't use regular log or stone and use those blocks to make those walls, so they build faster , lowering the chance of job suspension, that will still happen though)

The 1st one went well and fast, no cancellation, but the 2nd got through at least 10 times "suspend wall construction" that i had to manually "unsuspend" , until finally the dwarves completed the job

Finally completed the 1st aquifer layer securisation, but took a very lot of time with all those suspending i had to unsuspend constantly until the work was finally done.

Now it was time to repeat the whole process with the 2nd aquifer layer, the method works great but is very long to complete, so don't waste time if you embark in aquifer infested zone, the earlier you start, the earlier you'll be done, before the goblin send their armies.

And when you see that your dwarven mountainhome liaison and diplomats are evil murdering goblins :

Yeah, the queen must be completely insane to appoint goblins for those jobs.

edit : oh well, a 3rd layer of aquifer. abandonning that fort, while it works, it's too time consuming to setup, going to remove aquifer from the raws, only fun when there's 1 layer, but 3 (and whoe know, maybe even more), no thanks.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 12:32:33 pm by Robsoie »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #36483 on: August 11, 2014, 12:33:05 pm »

Survived a siege.

2/3 of the military died. :(
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36484 on: August 11, 2014, 01:09:44 pm »

Decided to embark on another aquifer, to experiment with the double slit method to pierce aquifer, as the easy and fast cave-in method fail when there are 2 layers of aquifer (that seem to happen sadly often)

Stochasty and Snaake nailed down a 2 layer cave in method for aquifers with nothing but a pick.  I detail the method in one of my recent FurnaceClans videos.  You can find it here if you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThOnx9PI57s&index=36&list=PLdudzEyUcmvinY7TP1n65Tp8GqbFU9cbg

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #36485 on: August 11, 2014, 01:59:52 pm »

Thanks, looked into it, funny and interesting tactic to take on the problem, digging up/down stairs the 2 aquifer faster than the water can come in so they can secure a big water-free zone on the 1st aquifer layer.

I'll give a try once i'll get migrant wave to get enough digger so i don't waste any time (as time is of the essence to beat the water coming in), i'll have to remember to get enough picks though
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 02:02:26 pm by Robsoie »

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36486 on: August 11, 2014, 02:25:38 pm »

You only need one miner with a pick to do it.  It was developed as part of the technique to beat the Single Pick Challenge.  Get a single miner up to level 10 (or better) digging around in the dirt and doing the setup, and you should be able to get the chicken run done.  After that it's gravy.

Avi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36487 on: August 11, 2014, 03:19:59 pm »

Oh I hate aquifers.  I usually avoid them and picking an aquiferless embark.  On the rare occasion I spot an otherwise perfect site, my dwarfs live above ground or in the dry parts.  Chicken running might be my solution now. 

Anyways, I'm playing (probably my last) fort for 34.11.  I tend to play exceptionally long term forts and my goal for this fort to see if I can't play to the point of where all my dwarfs were born in this fort (naturally, no accident prone old dwarfs).  So far it's Timber of year 10.  I'm trying to promote love and babies, so my dwarfs have been on holiday since middle of Sandstone (when the dwarven caravan arrived).  I got way too much food and booze, so I think I'll permit them to party the winter away.  There's few things they are still clearing up and moving about so only about 40-50 out of my 220 dwarfs are taking full advantage of the break.  I usually work them to the bone (15-20 free dwarfs), so there's lots of awkward flirting going on as most of their social skills are rusty.  This is the second year I'm allowing an extended holiday; the last one was only about a month long and netted me about 6 babies.  I'm hoping for a couple of good friendships, maybe a marriage or two, and babies up to the cap.

Other things I'm doing are fighting stagnant water contamination, preparing to train all civilian dwarfs in the art of war (you call it a danger room, I call it dwarven ingenuity), waiting for the king/queen to arrive (I gave them an 100k offer, you think they'd hurry), and creating an internally heated bedchamber suitable for royalty to comfort a monarch with opposing political views.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #36488 on: August 11, 2014, 03:41:54 pm »

The marksdwarf squad captain is currently holding a crossbow demonstration. A marksdwarf recruit is currently watching that demonstration from the archery range next door. There is a wall of rock between the two, cutting off line of sight.

Technically, they're in the same barracks. The barracks overlaps with the archery range. So I guess technically he's watching it. Still kinda silly.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36489 on: August 11, 2014, 05:25:59 pm »

New fortress time. "Fistfights the Angry Mob" just founded "The Bloody Cheerful Halls of Insanity".

OHGODS the map has CARP. <horror>
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36490 on: August 11, 2014, 06:24:09 pm »

New fortress time. "Fistfights the Angry Mob" just founded "The Bloody Cheerful Halls of Insanity".

OHGODS the map has CARP. <horror>
That's the most D for Dwarf embark ever.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36491 on: August 11, 2014, 06:54:47 pm »

Thanks to 40.08...

This is a stack of 372 plains titan meat roast.  The ingredients are minced prepared plains titan eye, minced prepared plains titan intestines, minced prepared plains titan brain and minced plains titan meat.

8)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #36492 on: August 11, 2014, 07:37:57 pm »

Looks like the expedition leader did something nasty

Hmm, looks like he really did

With expedition leaders like that, who need goblin sieges ?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36493 on: August 11, 2014, 07:41:32 pm »

A carpenter's workshop to make a dwarf bone figurine?  :o
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #36494 on: August 11, 2014, 08:11:33 pm »

I didn't even noticed , i guess dwarves with fell mood really care for nothing at all :D
Pages: 1 ... 2431 2432 [2433] 2434 2435 ... 3842