Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2427 2428 [2429] 2430 2431 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121195 times)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36420 on: August 07, 2014, 09:28:17 pm »

One of my dorfs who still had hunting enabled targeted a draaltha, which was in the middle of being chased by a giant cave spider. The GCS attacked my hunter, who, having come in with Competent Dodger, proceeded to avoid taking a single hit while killing the beast without bothering to unstrap her crossbow.

After kicking its head in, she was immediately overwhelmed with terror, and ran away from her defeated foe.
(Log in spoiler.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 09:32:56 pm by Frogwarrior »
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #36421 on: August 07, 2014, 11:50:47 pm »

I feel as if this embark is taunting me. The weregecko picks off a fisherdwarf them transforms into a human child. It rains flux but I can't find any metals. I have access to rock crystal but no sand. I have metalsmiths and military migrants coming out of my ears but no metal.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

chalicier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36422 on: August 08, 2014, 12:00:30 am »

Got a very nice embark with gold, iron ore, coal and flux stone to spare. It's all going quite nicely.

Two oddities so far. Without realising, I managed to pick a dead civ when starting up, so I got a King rather early. He seems a bit easier to please than I remember, although that might just be because I have so much gold I could outfit his chambers entirely in gold furniture. Also for some reason the first diplomat from my civ spawned dead on the edge of the map, which was mildly annoying but did mean I got a bunch of delicious Stuff for free.

Secondly, I've run for the first time into that annoying Marksdwarf bug where they just sit around the place insisting that they're "Going To Archery Practice" but in fact do nothing whatsoever. Anyone know a good workaround for that? It doesn't usually happen to me.

At some point I really should take a mosey over to the Modding board and see if anyone's made any headway on an update of Underhive Settlement for DF 2014. Although I'm not entirely sure what's been added, modding-wise. Plants should be particularly interesting...

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36423 on: August 08, 2014, 12:19:16 am »

Despite all the zombie fighting, livestock butchering, and husk wrestling, the dwarves actually live a normal, domestic life in The Joyful Land of Ghouls.
Like recently, we had a farm plot from the generator issues earlier. But it was too small, so we decide to expand it.

Okay, who am I kidding. There will always be fun fighting in a zombie biome.

Even with all the fighting, the militia is still doing fine ...
Well, there are always some grumpy ones... I don't know how that miasma got there ..

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36424 on: August 08, 2014, 12:23:38 am »

A dwarf just wandered into view of a cyclops that died the previous year, now he is screaming in horror, crying pitifully, and wont move...

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36425 on: August 08, 2014, 09:15:22 am »

My military dismembered a zombie siege a while ago, but even a year afterwards people would be overwhelmed with horror when visiting the quarter of the map where the zombies had lurked.

Turned out some of the severed zombie limbs had gotten stuck in trees. I had to cut a lot down to dump the parts.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36426 on: August 08, 2014, 09:22:09 am »

I guess I'll contribute to this thread...

I'm currently working on paving the entire inside of my fortress with valuable metals (gold, rose gold, and platinum), whilst at the same time I tried to find the circus. Ended up being a solid vein, so now I'm rolling in candy. I'm sure my dwarves can wait a while before they see the circus
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

BenLubar

• Bay Watcher
  • [BODY:HUMANOID_LEGLESS_6ARMS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36427 on: August 08, 2014, 01:12:12 pm »

New fort, building a wooden tower (7x6 interior floor space, including the staircase) to piss off the elves. A bunch of goblins show up and one attacks one of my dwarves in the knee with his bow. The dwarf yells "I must withdraw!" four times and then the goblins leave without doing anything else.

Bonesinger

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing to see here
    • View Profile
« Reply #36428 on: August 08, 2014, 01:13:09 pm »

Started a new fortress with 40.06.
At first, everything was going smoothly. A few waves of migrants guaranteeing my fort had everything at full throttle, food and drinks aplenty.
My first real problem was a Minotaur. It attacked and killed no dwarves, only injured a few of my 20 soldiers. Some seasons later, another minotaur attacks. This one managed to kill a civilian.
My fortress having a small brook nearby, I've decided to make a small underground reservoir so my dorfs didn't need to go outside. My engineering skills failed me almost spectacularly, as the water began flooding through the rest of the fortress. Good thing I had some fortifications that led to some of the underground caves, so the water didn't build up everywhere.
Code: [Select]
Side view of the flooding, more or less. Water came from the right.

▓X______▓▓▓▓▓X▓
▓X▓▓▓▓▓▲≈≈≈≈≈X▓
▓X▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

That called for some dwarf engineering. So, I've lined up 8 screw pumps over the brook and powered them with a total of 5 windmills generating 40 power each. Okay, actually I started with 4 pumps, then added more closer to where the water came. Anyway, it worked, it stopped enough flow to allow me to seal the water holes.

Some small time later, a Wereopossum attacked. To my luck, it somehow managed to get inside my walls before transforming, thus avoiding my cage traps. My soldiers dealt with it rather quickly, but two dwarves were bitten. I quickly tried to kill those two once they transformed. Well, they did die quickly, but not before biting another 2 dwarves. Soon it all went tantrum spiraling, so I just left them on their own for a while. Couple hours later, I find the game paused. A dwarf just gave birth to her second child. That was all fine, until I noticed that only two dwarves were still alive: said mother and a now orphan child. Both were also stark raving mad, going in and out of their were forms. The newborn seemed to not have the curse, but the mother being crazy and all, it died sometime later, dehydrated. I found it strange that they didn't attack the baby. Maybe it was cursed, but due to being so young, couldn't transform?

Anyway, this pretty much meant that the fortress was bound to live forever, until some army managed to get down there. Cut a few seasons later, migrants arrive. Let's see if they can survive.

EDIT1: Well, forgot to mention, but right before the tantrum spiral, a really big army of undead attacked. They came with 4 necromancers, that quickly exited the map.
The big deal was that I decided to throw my 37 soldiers at the undead (well knowing they were all underequipped). That is what really led to the spiral.
Also, while the siege was lifted, some undead still remained in the map. And guess who the 10 migrants saw along the way to the meeting hall? HINT: only 1 survived by climbing a tree.

EDIT2: The two wereopossums that are mad at my fortress? Wife and husband. Ms. Opossum just gave birth to a boy.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 01:34:22 pm by Bonesinger »

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36429 on: August 08, 2014, 01:33:52 pm »

Despite losing a well liked dwarf in my dwarf, the tantrum spiral has temporarily delayed. Both babies that survived have their left legs broken and one is about to turn into a child if it survives. The other has about a year to go.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

BenLubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36430 on: August 08, 2014, 01:57:14 pm »

So... Did someone get murdered at the mountainhomes?

Edit:

That's her father. Is forced drowning a thing now, or did the death-o-matic get confused?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 02:02:18 pm by BenLubar »

Jorn Stones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36431 on: August 08, 2014, 02:07:23 pm »

Titan attacked, hard battle.. At least 5 darves and a good handfull of animals died in the fight, titan was eventually killed.. Tantrums have started deep down below, the hospital is full of wounded, most of them likely caused by dwarves fighting eachother. Hopefully the situation stabilizes yet.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #36432 on: August 08, 2014, 02:19:38 pm »

That's her father. Is forced drowning a thing now, or did the death-o-matic get confused?
Goblins conquered the site he was in and killed everyone. They did it in creative ways. You can see things like crucified, hung, chopped to pieces, fed to beasts, etc.

BenLubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36433 on: August 08, 2014, 02:30:14 pm »

Goblins conquered the site he was in and killed everyone. They did it in creative ways. You can see things like crucified, hung, chopped to pieces, fed to beasts, etc.
Does the game actually simulate that or just pick a random one from a list?

Also, why can't we watch reenactments of historical battles yet?

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36434 on: August 08, 2014, 02:59:50 pm »

Does the game actually simulate that or just pick a random one from a list?

I'd say both. Though bodies may be hard to find for some of the actions.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.
Pages: 1 ... 2427 2428 [2429] 2430 2431 ... 3842