Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2417 2418 [2419] 2420 2421 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094593 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36270 on: August 01, 2014, 01:04:40 am »

Well, reading that, at first I was like, way to go, that's awesome caknuck!
But, uh... well, I'm sorry man, that's a dissapointing update. All that meat... You need to set up more kitchens, maybe?

I built an emergency kitchen right beside the butchery, placing the meatstacks 4 tiles away from the new kitchen (no other food items were closer). The friggin' dwarfs would path THROUGH the kitchen, past heaps of elephant meat, and over to the storeroom beyond to fetch a single-unit stack of tallow. Idiots.
...Yeah. OK.
That's unexpected behavior. Maybe they thought the elephant meat was too heavy to carry? That' wouldn't make sense, but I guess you'd better be checking the Z-Kitchen menu frequently to ban tallow from being cooked from now on.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Roach

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMOLATE][LIKES_HUGGING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36271 on: August 01, 2014, 06:04:09 am »

Oh come on.

Well, erm, yeah, but just because it has wings doesn't mean it can fly, right? I mean, they could just be decorative, right? Guys? Right?
How do I do it? Prune juice.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36272 on: August 01, 2014, 06:14:22 am »

I don't mind flying ones anymore. My military just killed one (with poisonous secretions) that hovered above them as they hacked it to bits. Couldn't find any deadly juices anywhere afterwards, so I'll take it.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36273 on: August 01, 2014, 06:38:20 am »

I think its the 'made of chrysoprase' that he's whining about.  Quite right too, only thing worse than rock/gem beasts is the metal ones.

My fort is being retired.  It bored me.  With goblins not working properly i'm gonna have to embark somewhere much nastier to keep the challenge.  I managed to learn a lot about taming a huge range of giant beasts from my time in the joyous wilds swamps, built a 35z iron pumpstack that i never used and created a 4000 power-unit watermill on a diverted river which only ever ran a single millstone in the end.

Oh, and 5x 'trade good' artifacts, sceptres, rings, such nonsense...  mainly on kids and mainly through possession.

Onwards!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:40:47 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36274 on: August 01, 2014, 06:54:02 am »

So "Sleep" means no "Seeking Infant" pickup? I guess is the same thing for "Rest" too. Maybe that's why I had a dehydrated baby in my dining room.

That fits my observations and is what i edited into the wiki about six weeks ago:

Unconscious mothers will not wake up when they give birth - sleeping and resting in a hospital will not be interrupted.

Re: Failure to cook most of an elephant:
Quote from: caknuck
I built an emergency kitchen right beside the butchery, placing the meatstacks 4 tiles away from the new kitchen (no other food items were closer). The friggin' dwarfs would path THROUGH the kitchen, past heaps of elephant meat, and over to the storeroom beyond to fetch a single-unit stack of tallow. Idiots.

You would've needed to get the elephant meat moved to a stockpile. Food on stockpiles doesn't rot (at all, at least in .40.03). Anyway, assuming you didn't mess up your kitchens by linking stockpiles to them (restricts what ingredients they'll work with) it was likely a problem of ingredient preference. Dwarfs prefer ingredients stored in barrels/pots over "loose" food, and this preference is absolute: they'll only even start considering the loose meat two tiles from their kitchen after all the tallow from the fat barrel 200 tiles away is used up. It's absolutely expected, but very unintuitive and fix-worthy behaviour.

PS: or you moved the meat by "dumping" it (onto a non-stockpile square) and forgot to reclaim it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:56:06 am by Larix »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36275 on: August 01, 2014, 08:37:48 am »

Oh come on.

At least it's not dusty.  My new fort was going well, and in a coordinated strike a team of crossbow goblins led by an elite crossbow goblin came out on the surface at the same time a giant flying dusty flatworm emerged in my caves.  I had only just found a stash of hematite to go with my flux and charcoal.

When I get armor made... then... then there shall be a reckoning.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #36276 on: August 01, 2014, 11:03:57 am »

Two of my starting imps are named Ralir. There's a reason I use it as the default name for imps.

EDIT: A black bear wandered in through my entrance and into the farms. He got scared by the farmer and climbed out through the top of my aboveground farms. This game, man.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 11:07:30 am by TheFlame52 »

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36277 on: August 01, 2014, 11:06:46 am »

The Fallens and the Risens don't have default names as far as I can tell.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36278 on: August 01, 2014, 11:08:18 am »

I'm sitting here cowering in fear against the Marbled Angiswaerd menace. I keep hearing the soundsense battle sounds, and when I check the logs, I see these things just DESTROYING things that seem like they'd be pretty damn powerful. Trolls, GCS', etc. One also came up from the cave (I settled on a cave) and OHK'd my woodworker, tearing his head off. Yeah, these guys are pretty damn scary.
....Oh, and my fort's finally gotten it's metalworking industry off the ground.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #36279 on: August 01, 2014, 11:57:29 am »

My, uh, my Expedition Leader just fell asleep outside. Only, he owns a bed, so he started moving towards it, into the fortress. Sleepwalking, I guess. Upon reaching the fortress entrance, he encounters the cage traps; as he's unconscious, he gets stuck in them. So now I have a caged dwarf. Uh...

Is sleepwalking supposed to happen?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

CancerousCthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36280 on: August 01, 2014, 12:07:55 pm »

My, uh, my Expedition Leader just fell asleep outside. Only, he owns a bed, so he started moving towards it, into the fortress. Sleepwalking, I guess. Upon reaching the fortress entrance, he encounters the cage traps; as he's unconscious, he gets stuck in them. So now I have a caged dwarf. Uh...

Is sleepwalking supposed to happen?

I've seen this happen before, and I presume it's a bug. It couldn't hurt to check Mantis though!  :P
Guys I don't think we want to mess with using dwarves as fusion material here. Be careful.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #36281 on: August 01, 2014, 12:24:45 pm »

The critter died. I think I'll have to stop starting with tame GCS; it just trivializes these things. The beastie was coated in webs as soon as it got to the surface and the spiders eventually bisected it with a bite.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Bonesinger

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing to see here
    • View Profile
« Reply #36282 on: August 01, 2014, 01:04:20 pm »

I didn't read the full changelogs and still haven't played adventure mode. So, right now, i'm being sieged (again) by undead. Strange thing is, they are corpses (that petrol blue Ñ) but have no rotten or missing parts. All they're carrying with them is water coverings, so I guess they died by drowning.

Anyway, other than the siege, I'm down to 5 dwarves, one being a child. Best part, the mother was the only female left after the last siege. Even better, her husband died in that last siege. They can survive some years in the fort, plenty of food and drink. As long as one doesn't go berserk or something...

EDIT: Down to 3, with one "stuck" on a tree trying to give food to... his pet cavy boar? Goddammit, these climbing mechanics are being a real pain. Of the zombies, the only left (which also won't let the SIEGE end) is having a good time playing statue in a pond. Down to 2 useful dwarves right now...

EDIT2: Turns out the other dwarf is stricken by melancholy. Just what I needed...

EDIT3: One dwarf stuck on the branches of trees, hunting for small creatures to not starve to death. Another, melancholic, lost his will to live. The last one, unhappy at all this, decides to hold a party. The party of one has been going for 12 days now.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 01:34:04 pm by Bonesinger »

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36283 on: August 01, 2014, 01:20:27 pm »

Just had the heads of four legendary steel clad soldiers burst into gore by "A Huge Skinless Sauropod".

Luckily they weren't very social.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36284 on: August 01, 2014, 01:22:20 pm »

The thriving young town of Lockwind is cursed, or at least its woodcutters are. Not five days into the embark, the carpenter and lumberjack was viciously attacked by an exploding tree ("Something has collapsed on the surface!"), and was left crippled--both arms broken in multiple places. His death from dehydration a few months later was almost a mercy, since the seige that followed shortly thereafter--preventing the caravan and liaison from showing up, and therefor preventing migration for a full year after they left--curtailed the production of necessary medical supplies in favor of simply trying to get the fort set up with a mere fifteen dwarves, most unskilled laborers fleeing the goblin menace of the Terrors of Emancipation.

When the seige ended, Goden, the unskilled, randomly-chosen woodworker was immediately attacked by another exploding tree. Luckily, she merely suffered bruised guts, and spent the next few months vomiting all over everything before her guts finally healed.

More recently, the 18-year-old recruited to relieve Goden (now a legendary carpenter) of woodcutting duties chopped down a tree, which I noticed at the last moment had logs from a previously-felled tree in its canopy. The logs fell on her, and she's currently in traction for a leg fractured in multiple places. It's likely she'll need a crutch for the rest of her life. However, I can at least say that there seem to be fewer problems with feeding and hydrating the sick and injured in this version--due to repeated party-related (and overseer busy with tapping magma and aquifer) bottlenecks in the cloth production chain, she was abed for most of a year before a traction bench could be made.

Towards the end of year two, I received some bittersweet news. A dog (now named forever in my memory Magma Laïka) dodged falling logs into the magma pipe, revealing the magma sea and, via another magma pipe, the third cavern. Rest in peace, comrade Laïka. You helped our colonization effort more than you will know, but like your namesake, we did not learn enough from your mission to justify your death.
Pages: 1 ... 2417 2418 [2419] 2420 2421 ... 3842